Weight GAIN on new exercise routine?!?

Options
kiera2493
kiera2493 Posts: 6 Member
edited January 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
I've been exercising 5 times a week for 30 minutes a day for the past 2 weeks. The first week I lost 3lbs. The second week I put 2 back on? I always notice this when I start exercising again after stopping for a while. Anyone know why it could be happening?

Should I carry on with exercising or stop? Will I start to lose weight again if I carry on exercising. Im so confused...

Ive stuck to my calorie limit 100%

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    New exercise routines often come with some extra fluid retention to help cushion and repair those sore muscles. Give your body a couple of weeks to catch up with the changes.
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    What she said ^^
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Water retention. Drink some extra water and keep going!
  • whitfieldjoanne
    whitfieldjoanne Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Monitor your body fat and take measurements you may be changing shape and gaining muscle....scales fluctuate and there's water retention, time of day etc....if you know you have been good it will come off, keep going and well done x
  • vickikreisson
    vickikreisson Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    My muscle mass increased really quickly in my first few months of my program. This showed on the scales and I was gutted. It wasn't until I went on a body composition scanner that I saw what was going on. Weight should only ever be used as a rough guide. It is far better to use calipers or body composition to moniter your changing body
  • looney9708
    looney9708 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Same here. But I partially expect it. I lost 20 pounds this last summer and have now decided it's time for body recomposition. However it seems my tummy is getting jigglier and my weight had gone up. I am terribly sore so I know fluid can build up. It it is discouraging however. I am terrified of allowing the wright to creep back up. But I will just keep going, lifting and sweating. Hoping to balance this out. Keep going you are doing great
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    New exercise routines often come with some extra fluid retention to help cushion and repair those sore muscles. Give your body a couple of weeks to catch up with the changes.

Yep. Completely normal. Any time you start a new exercise or increase your exercise, you'll retain water. Give it time, it'll go away.

• iggy7117
    iggy7117 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have to say it is water retention, you also have to consider you are building muscle while losing fat so the scale may not be an accurate indicator. Losing weight is a lifestyle change and you should look into tips to lose weight.
  • William4MVP
    William4MVP Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    iggy7117 wrote: »
    I have to say it is water retention, you also have to consider you are building muscle while losing fat so the scale may not be an accurate indicator. Losing weight is a lifestyle change and you should look into tips to lose weight.

Just stop there..please...lol