Calories in, Calories out... really the way to go?

Options
I'm a yo-yo dieter. Have been ever since 5th grade when I was told I needed to go on a diet while at a slumber party with "friends".
I've tried it all... diet pills, low carb, weight watchers... I can lose it, but I always gain it back.
I've been reading some threads and posts on here today (while iced in in NC) and thinking of trying just good old calorie counting.
I have a fitbit and I enjoy working out, I love food, but I CAN lose weight when I put my mind to it.

Any thoughts, tips, stories? Do you strictly count calories or do you really adhere to a number of macros (carbs, sugar, protein, fat?)
Looking for something for the long haul.

Replies

• HutchA12
    HutchA12 Posts: 279 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Weightloss is counting calories and making a deficit. Do that and you will lose weight. Stop that and go back to eating to many calories and you will gain weight. You need a life style change not a temp diet. That is why you yo yo.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Calories in, Calories out.

I eat all of my normal foods (and even new ones) within my calorie goal. If I exercise I get to eat more of it. As far as macros, I usually just try to hit my protein goal and then the rest usually falls into place.

I started June 2013, lost 57 lbs, got pregnant May 2014, had baby January 2015, in which I gained 24.6 lbs with. Lost all of that, and have continued to lose an additional 20 lbs, for a total of 77 lbs (non-pregnancy related). It works and it's easy. Plus, I can't live without chocolate and pizza and hamburgers. But I do eat lean proteins and veggies too. It's all about moderation and balance. Just make sure your goal isn't too aggressive or you may run into adherence issues, along with loss of LBM.
  • evayna
    evayna Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to beat myself up if I go over in my daily calorie intake for, lets say 100 cal. worth of broccoli. However I will kick myself if I go over because I just had to have that 100 cal worth of chocolate pudding. I think it just has to do with the mindset that I want to be healthy, not just lose weight. But that is my opinion.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    It's the only way to go imo.

My tips for you:

Use a food scale
    Be consistent
    Don't demonize food - there are no bad foods
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,163 Member
    Options
    Counting calories is how one loses weight. How those calories are divided up is Macros. In terms of importance for weight loss, calories are king. In terms of body composition and performance Macros come next, but remember, those Macros are what make up your total calories so count Macros is basically counting calories. Personally I have done a couple of programs, most notably the Zone. Then I looked more carefully at what I was eating, and while the Macro breakdown was 40% Carb, 30% Protein, 30% Fat, the same breakdown I use here but don't follow religiously, the reason I was losing weight was not the Macro breakdown, but that I was eating at a calorie deficit. Once I realized that I realized I didn't have to obsess over meeting the 40-30-30 and just concentrate on calories. Success was the same.
  • erinc5
    erinc5 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    YES. I have tried low carb, high fiber, extreme workouts, etc... SO STUPID. Just count your calories, workout if you want/if you can. Don't worry too much about sugar, carbs, etc. Find the right macro mix that makes you feel full and happy with your allotted calories. I eat whatever I want (just less of it than before). Feel very motivated, and I finally feel like I will be successful because there aren't really any "rules" to follow other than stick with it and stay within your goals.
  • krista681
    krista681 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    http://comfortpit.com/the-truth-about-calories/
    this is a great article with a lot of unbiased information! he's got great links with more info on there as well. Also, make sure to read the comments at the bottom :smile: a lot of people tried to tear apart everything he was saying but he had answers for every one of them! lots of good info
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Of course you can, but you need to dig deeper and find a meaningful reason to stay fit beyond aesthetics.

Can you be an example for others? Kids, friends, family, etc? Think long term and beyond quick goals.
  • bspringer544
    bspringer544 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    CICO is great. I'm a compulsive eater who has been trying (and failing) for half a decade to lose weight. I've been counting calories for two months now and it's been a complete game changer; lost 17 pounds so far, exercising more, making amazing leaps and bounds in eating better (gone from high fat, processed, deep fried foods to fruits and veggies and loving every second of it. Never though that i could get excited over a home made fruit platter with yogurt dip but guess what!!), and even (bonus!!) Practising better house cleaning habits. Total lifestyle overhaul with this diet and very easy.

I wouldn't obsess too much over the macros, especially at first, unless you have real health concerns or a specific nutrient goal like lowering your cholesterol or getting more protein. Just focus on getting used to the new calorie goal and watching your portions for now.

Also, if you fall of the wagon, don't freak out. Going over your goal is not the end of the world, it won't destroy you, your life won't be ruined. Just take a deep breath, accept your mistakes, and get back to it TODAY. NOT TOMORROW. Don't get into the habit of thinking that a little mess up in the afternoon means that you have to give up for the night.
  • Keith3481
    Keith3481 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    CICO works. I've lost 40 lbs just by making sure I had a healthy deficit over the last year. My strategy is to manage my weekly deficit for the daily calorie average based on the goals MFP gives me. In the MFP iPhone app, it's the screen Nutrition/Week View. I make sure the net calories under weekly goal is close to 0 and the net average is close to the goal. I'm in the last 5 lbs now so it is slower, but I can see the trend go down using the Happy Scale app.

While losing these 40 lbs, I've eaten the same foods I always ate just in smaller quantities. Maybe I got medium fries instead of large fries, or skipped the second breadstick. Last night I had pizza and beer and I'm still down for the week. It's a challenge but kind of fun to piece together meals at restaurants that match my calorie goals. If I get three tacos supreme and a diet pepsi at Taco Bell, I hit 600 calories and it fits into my daily diet perfectly. That's my favorite part of calorie counting, I don't have to eat foods I don't like. I just use self-discipline to make sure I'm eating a quantity that keeps me at a deficit.

One year later, I'm down from 38s US jeans to 32s US jeans. I even bought a size small shirt to wear.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    CICO + Intermittent Fasting + IIFYM = how I lost all my weight.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    weight management is about energy balance...consume more energy (calories) than you require to maintain the status quot, and that surplus is stored as body fat for later use. consume less energy (calories) than you require to maintain the status quot, and you burn body fat to make up for that deficiency of energy.

it's really friggin simple...

actual nutrition is another matter.
  • robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    Definitely the way to go. CICO is a change of mindset, a lifestyle change. Calories can be adjusted to lose, gain or maintain as needed. There is no magic food, pill or diet that will get the weight off and keep it off. It all boils down to CICO. You can still eat what you like, just track it and make sure it fits into your calories. I find that pre-logging most of my day helps, I know what I have to look forward to, and I level a few hundred spare calories for a treat or snack. If I go over by a bit, the sky won't fall, unless I go way over my calories I still lose nicely.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    A calorie deficit is required for weight loss. No matter what method you've tried before - fad diets, weight watchers, diet pills, low carb, atkins, paleo, etc - if you were losing weight, you were in a calorie deficit, your CI<CO.

Now, many people find specific diets like that, which often are very restrictive or time bound (diet pills, lose x amount in x days), etc - hard to adhere to forever, which is why they end up yo yoing and gaining the weight back.

Many people find a lot of long term success using flexible dieting - where nothing specific is prohibited, a reasonable calorie deficit is established, they focus on eating nutrient dense foods and still allow for treats in moderation. MFP enables you to more accurately track those calories by logging the foods you eat, and the exercise you do. Many also find the food scale to be an invaluable tool. I also love my FitBit for helping me understand my activity level and how many calories I'm burning. This approach has worked well for me, and for many people on this site - but again, some like to have more structure around their diet. It really comes down to personal preference.

If you haven't already read this thread, I think it is a great place to start:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

• AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    I eat a low carb diet in order to have a normal appetite. What I mean by normal appetite is I get hungry, I eat until I'm full and satisfied and then I forget about food until I'm hungry again. But a normal appetite only gets me so far. I also need good food habits in conjunction with low carb to avoid overeating. Good food habits for me include no snacking, preparing balanced meals (as much as low carb can be balanced) from primarily whole foods and fasting occasionally.

What works and is sustainable is highly individual. Think about what you like, where your problems are and cobble together some strategies to deal with them and eventually you'll come up with an enjoyable diet and food habits you want to maintain. It takes time to work it all out -- just don't stop and you'll get there. Best wishes. :)
  • Steve_ApexNC
    Steve_ApexNC Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Hiya - I too am iced in. Glad to see another North Cakalakian about these parts!

CICO is pretty much the prime directive, but I am also a believer in balanced diet. Others like low carb or low fat or whatever. The key is finding what works best for you as the only way to take it off and keep it off is finding something you can sustain for life. Otherwise you are back on the yo-yo. As I said, for me, that means balance in my foods/macro's but always eating within my calorie budget. I cook from scratch and I don't eat out. This works for me. Others take other approaches that work for them. There is room for experimentation as long as you keep an eye on the calorie budget (i.e., CICO).
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    When you boil down ANY diet plan, it comes down to consuming more calories than you burn.

The difference between diet plans and doing it yourself is that diet plans do all the work for you. Yes, they're easier and sometimes faster (though, faster isn't healthier!), but when the goal is achieved, you'll go back to eating what you consider normally and that's why the weight comes back. By counting the calories yourself, you're not really dieting. You're changing your eating habits to help you relearn what proper portions are, which will help you KEEP the weight off in the future.

How you do it is up to you, though. Everyone has different methods, and it's perfectly ok to try different things, but you have to find what works for YOU. The key is to find something that's SUSTAINABLE after you hit your goal. If you try some method someone suggests, after about a week, ask yourself "Do I want to eat like this the rest of my life?" If the answer is no, it's not for you. Which is why a lot of people here will tell you not to remove foods you like, simply learn how to work them into your day. You'll need to eat LESS of said food if it's in the high calorie/low nutrient category, but no food is forbidden. No food is bad. Sugar and carbs aren't evil, you do need some of certain types of fats for your body to function, and one cookie isn't going to sabotage you. You simply need to learn what a single portion is of the foods you like, and then plan them into your day.

Yes, it's slow! But what do you want, fast and probably unhealthy weight loss that you'll gain right back, or a slow and steady weight loss that trains you how to KEEP it off once you hit your goal? You're the only one that can answer that question for yourself.

Other advice:
    - It's ok to start slow and build. What I did was weigh and log EVERYTHING for a week before I cut anything, just to see where my patterns were. That let me see what times of the day I was eating, and gave me ideas for what to cut down on. Then, I picked one thing to change, and gave myself a couple weeks to get used to it. Then, changed something else. Start slow and create a foundation to build on. It takes longer, but you'll feel better the entire time instead of being hungry and desperately craving favorite foods.

- Exercise IS NOT required for weight loss. It's good for many other things, and if you can exercise, make sure to add it. But don't rely on it for weight loss. Focus on calories in for now, and if you're not exercising, add that in slowly when you can. It will help you get you body healthy, and learning to lift will help you tone muscles, which will make your body composition better, but if you don't relearn eating habits, it's not going to help that much.

- Don't rely on others for your motivation. External motivation and support is great, but sporadic. You're not going to have someone call you up 2-3 times a day to offer encouragement unless you pay them. So you need to learn to motivate yourself. The way to do that is to take a good, honest look at why YOU want to lose weight. It doesn't have to be 'to get healthy' either. Find that reason and make it your motivation. Mine was I didn't like that I looked fat in my wedding pictures. And since it's on my work desk, that means I was constantly looking at it. Now that I've lost weight, it's also a reminder of where I was and to not let myself get there again. So find your own reason and motivation, and you'll always be able to pick yourself back up when make mistakes.

- And you WILL make mistakes. Days you go over by accident, celebrations and holidays, sick days, etc. EVERYONE has off days. It doesn't make you a failure and won't sabotage your progress unless you let it. When you make a mistake, learn from it, log it, and start fresh next meal/day. It's a lesson that's hard for a lot of people to learn, including me, but once you internalize it, things become MUCH easier!
  • innerhottie
    innerhottie Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Wow... great responses, everyone. Thanks for the information and for taking the time to reply. I really appreciate it. Going to give it a shot!
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    down 70+ pounds through CICO. yup id say it works ;)
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    CICO is the only thing that has ever worked for me. And like you, I've tried every thing.