Ideal Protein - Support, Advice, and Motivation!

Options
I am starting Ideal Protein program next Monday and I am looking for support, advice and of course motivation. I am hoping to find a few people who have been on IP for a while, people who just started or about to start so that we can bond!! hahaha

I am 35, mom of three who has yo-yo dieted for the past 10 years. I have a friend who is doing IP and his results are amazing! I saw a picture of him on FB and messaged him to find out his secret! He, of course, told me about IP. I jumped on the bandwagon and have done tons of research and looked at all of the amazing before and after pictures and I am hooked!! I am beyond excited to start this and I just hope and pray this gets me out of my weight loss plateau!!

Tell me about you and why you are on this journey.

Please just love and positive vibes here.

Replies

• lerickson427
    lerickson427 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    hi...i am 40 ish with 5 kids who each left me w an extra 8 lbs after their births
  • lerickson427
    Options
    never done this before....not sure my whole message posted??? i see a partial message above...? not to be repetitive...4 weeks into IP and 20lbs down!!! not hungry at all!!! 3 pieces of advice 1) PLAN - shop for the right foods and plan your meals 2) use you coach and the IP website for advice and inspiratio 3) keep your eye on your goal and stay strong ( you will be tempted!) GOOD LUCK!!!
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I am starting Ideal Protein program next Monday and I am looking for support, advice and of course motivation. I am hoping to find a few people who have been on IP for a while, people who just started or about to start so that we can bond!! hahaha

I am 35, mom of three who has yo-yo dieted for the past 10 years. I have a friend who is doing IP and his results are amazing! I saw a picture of him on FB and messaged him to find out his secret! He, of course, told me about IP. I jumped on the bandwagon and have done tons of research and looked at all of the amazing before and after pictures and I am hooked!! I am beyond excited to start this and I just hope and pray this gets me out of my weight loss plateau!!

My suggestion is that you not do it. I know it may sound unsupportive, but it isn't meant to be. You have a history of yo-yo dieting, this one isn't likely to change that. It is a super strict, low calorie/low carb diet where you eat mostly their food and a meal of your own (with restrictions).
    Yes, it gives great results, because it is so low calorie. But the issue isn't results, it is maintainance.

A person very close to me started it this time last year. She dropped a ton of weight. At first she didn't mind it. By the end, she dreaded eating any of the supplements, even the stuff she liked at the beginning. She switched into maintainance.
    1 year later, she is back at the gym trying to drop the same weight she lost last year.

It is expensive and very restrictive. Set up MFP to lose weight, log your food, try to be active. Prosper. Much cheaper.
  • MrsSanthoff
    MrsSanthoff Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much @lerickson427 !! I am so glad to have another person on this journey with me!! And 20lbs is great!!!! I am hoping to lose roughly 30-40lbs to be in a healthy BMI. How much are you trying to lose total? Do you have a time frame in mind for the end of phase 1?

@3dogsrunning thank you for your input. I am sure that maintaining is difficult for anyone to do at any point in their journey. I will cross that bridge when I get there. At this moment in my life, I just need to get there.

Much love and wish us luck!!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

My suggestion is that you not do it. I know it may sound unsupportive, but it isn't meant to be. You have a history of yo-yo dieting, this one isn't likely to change that. It is a super strict, low calorie/low carb diet where you eat mostly their food and a meal of your own (with restrictions).
    Yes, it gives great results, because it is so low calorie. But the issue isn't results, it is maintainance.

A person very close to me started it this time last year. She dropped a ton of weight. At first she didn't mind it. By the end, she dreaded eating any of the supplements, even the stuff she liked at the beginning. She switched into maintainance.
    1 year later, she is back at the gym trying to drop the same weight she lost last year.

It is expensive and very restrictive. Set up MFP to lose weight, log your food, try to be active. Prosper. Much cheaper.

I thought this place was for support.
  • MrsSanthoff
    Options
    @jofjltncb6 Are you doing the Ideal Protein program??
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much @lerickson427 !! I am so glad to have another person on this journey with me!! And 20lbs is great!!!! I am hoping to lose roughly 30-40lbs to be in a healthy BMI. How much are you trying to lose total? Do you have a time frame in mind for the end of phase 1?

@3dogsrunning thank you for your input. I am sure that maintaining is difficult for anyone to do at any point in their journey. I will cross that bridge when I get there. At this moment in my life, I just need to get there.

Much love and wish us luck!!

A friend of mine did Ideal Protein and lost a LOT OF WEIGHT!!!!! :smiley: It's very effective.

Of course he learned nothing of portion control or how to stay within maintenance limits while he was eating strictly prescribed meals and supplements so he gained it all back pretty quickly.

GOOD LUCK TO YOU :flowerforyou:
  • jofjltncb6
    edited January 2016
    Options
    @jofjltncb6 Are you doing the Ideal Protein program??

Absolutely not.

I much prefer the more reasonably priced and likely more effective long-term method of weighing/measuring regular food and logging (using a site such as myfitnesspal.com) to arrive at a reasonable calculated calorie deficit (or surplus) while reaching appropriate minimums of protein and fats over a sufficiently long enough period of time to reach my goals.
  • MrsSanthoff
    Options
    That's awesome! Best of luck on your journey!
  • lerickson427
    Options
    @MrsSanthoff my goal is 40lbs. it is strict and expensive but it gives you accountibility (weigh ins) and if you read up and pay attention it does teach you how your body works (carb/protein balance)...i can already see how i can maintain my weight better once i reach my goal. if you go back to eating crap you will gain it back...if you learn to moderate your carbs you won't. not sure about how long in phase 1....10 to 12 weeks?
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    @MrsSanthoff my goal is 40lbs. it is strict and expensive but it gives you accountibility (weigh ins) and if you read up and pay attention it does teach you how your body works (carb/protein balance)...i can already see how i can maintain my weight better once i reach my goal. if you go back to eating crap you will gain it back...if you learn to moderate your carbs you won't. not sure about how long in phase 1....10 to 12 weeks?

Except this isn't how it works. Not even close.
  • MrsSanthoff
    Options
    @lerickson427 That is so awesome!! I am hoping that this will allow me to learn to listen to my body more. I also need to mentally prepare for myself for non scale victories and not be so concerned with the weight. I just want my jeans to fit better!! I am planning on being in phase 1 for roughly 15 weeks to lose 40lbs!
  • DYELB
    DYELB Posts: 7,407 Member
    Options
    Filet Mignon is an ideal protein.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Don't these high protein diets damage your kidneys?

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/271663.php
    High-protein diets, such as the Dukan diet, are currently a popular alternative to the traditional calorie-counting forms of dieting. But scientists at the University of Granada in Spain have shown through tests in rats that a high-protein diet increases the risk of kidney stones and other renal diseases.

I'd be careful about committing to a life of renal failure. That's not a fair trade-off for losing weight. This is why counting calories is a better approach.
  • DYELB
    Options
    _Waffle_ wrote: »

High-protein diets, such as the Dukan diet, are currently a popular alternative to the traditional calorie-counting forms of dieting. But scientists at the University of Granada in Spain have shown through tests in rats that a high-protein diet increases the risk of kidney stones and other renal diseases.

I'd be careful about committing to a life of renal failure. That's not a fair trade-off for losing weight. This is why counting calories is a better approach.

Squatting prevents that though. The movement, when done correctly, generates internal pressure to stabilize your core. This has the effect of breaking up and breaking down kidney stones into sizes that are painlessly (or at least less painfully) passed.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    DYELB wrote: »

Squatting prevents that though. The movement, when done correctly, generates internal pressure to stabilize your core. This has the effect of breaking up and breaking down kidney stones into sizes that are painlessly (or at least less painfully) passed.

So, what you're saying is I should not use a lifting belt, since that too could cause kidney stones...
  • DYELB
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    DYELB wrote: »

So, what you're saying is I should not use a lifting belt, since that too could cause kidney stones...

Now you're catching on. I can squat 500 and am a licensed nutritionist, you can trust me.
  • KittyHeaven74
    KittyHeaven74 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I did IP in 2014 and lost 70 lbs. I did well on maintenance for a few months, then I got lazy. They DO offer support in maintenance and guidance so you can stay on track, but I became lazy. So now I'm trying to lose the half I gained back. I do feel that IP works for some people and they are able to keep it off. It requires diligence in maintenance just like any other program would, and it DOES provide you with guidelines so you can learn how to eat properly to maintain your weight and health (without deprivation). I decided not to go back on that program this time because a) It's too darned expensive, and b) after 10 months on it the first time, I couldn't bear the amount of deprivation it would require for me to lose again.

If you're doing the program, I say kudos. Just make sure that you are diligent and get into the habit of measuring your food (you still have to measure veggies and natural protein even while eating their packaged food) and tracking everything you eat. When you get to maintenance, keep up those habits because it does require a lifestyle change and diligence to keep up the good habits.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Sounds expensive.
  • mattkdawson
    mattkdawson Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    How much does it cost do do this at one of the clinics?