Does walking really work? Any success stories?

Options
I recently started walking on the treadmill and it tires me out even though it says I only burn a little bit of calories. I walk on a 2 percent incline steadily and then I switch to 5 percent for 2 minutes or as long as I can handle it. I walk at about 3.5 and then I switch down to 3 percent when I get tired. I feel like it's too slow compared to other people who can run the whole 30 minutes or people who do a Zumba class. Is walking worth it?

Replies

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Walking is absolutely worth it. It's great for cardiovascular health.

I started out walking 1 mile. That slowly increased to about 4 miles. Then that turned into running a 5k.

So yes, it's worth it.
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    Yes, Yes, Yes!!
    I spent 2 years using walking as my primary exercise.
    Lost weight and increased stamina.
    Every bit helps.

Don't Quit!!
  • cyndiah
    cyndiah Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    "The next time you have a medical check-up, don’t be surprised if your doctor hands you a prescription to walk. Yes, this simple activity that you’ve been doing since you were about a year old is now being touted (along with other forms of regular physical activity) as “the closest thing we have to a wonder drug,” in the words of Dr. Thomas Frieden, director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Judging from the research, it’s a well-earned reputation." http://www.health.harvard.edu/staying-healthy/walking-for-health
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    In three months you'll be reminiscing about when you could ONLY walk 3.5mph on a 5% incline for 2 minutes.

What is your limit now will soon be your warmup.
  • thistimeforsure2016
    Options
    cyndiah wrote: »
    "The next time you have a medical check-up, don’t be surprised if your doctor hands you a prescription to walk. Yes, this simple activity that you’ve been doing since you were about a year old is now being touted (along with other forms of regular physical activity) as “the closest thing we have to a wonder drug,” in the words of Dr. Thomas Frieden, director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Judging from the research, it’s a well-earned reputation." http://www.health.harvard.edu/staying-healthy/walking-for-health

• thistimeforsure2016
    Options
    Thank you for this:):):)
  • thistimeforsure2016
    Options
    I hope so:)
    sullus wrote: »
    In three months you'll be reminiscing about when you could ONLY walk 3.5mph on a 5% incline for 2 minutes.

What is your limit now will soon be your warmup.

• dwulet130
    dwulet130 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Rule of thumb: if it tires you out, it's worth it.
  • thistimeforsure2016
    Options
    Yes, Yes, Yes!!
    I spent 2 years using walking as my primary exercise.
    Lost weight and increased stamina.
    Every bit helps.

Don't Quit!!

• erinxo13
    erinxo13 Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    Walking was a stepping stone for me doing other workouts. I would say def 100% yes it works. Any type of movement helps! :D
  • justvclark
    justvclark Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I love walking, but usually only outside. I feel better when I do it, and there are fun things like walking marathons for National Trail Day that you can work up to doing if you need the motivation. I did one several years ago and lost 25 lbs working up to the stamina I needed for that day. Just make sure you have good, supportive shoes.
  • nubian101
    nubian101 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    1200 Calories a day, 1000 steps a day, lost 10lb in 22 days. My bum is firmer, my stomach is flatter, I'm thrilled to bits! 20lb to go, going up to 1200 steps a day from tomorrow. It DOES work.
  • Mexicanbigfoot
    Mexicanbigfoot Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I am just now getting to a 3.1 or 3.2 walking speed. I started at a 1.5 at almost 400 pounds a year ago. I am happy to report I am down to 285 pounds, and I have completed 6 5k's since last summer. So, yes, walking works! Good luck! :smiley:
  • Carlala2
    Carlala2 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I lost my first 30 lbs by reaching the 10,000 steps a day goal on my fitbit (just started adding other exercises to my workout and changing my diet more). But for me walking outside is a LOT more enjoyable than walking on a treadmill.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,992 Member
    Options
    I walk outside and it has been working for me. It doesn't work if you don't stay in your calorie goal, but if you do it is great exercise. So far I am down 24 pounds so I am going to keep walking as often as I can.
  • leannems
    leannems Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    This is what I will say from personal experience - lost about 40lbs last year, looking to do about 25-30 this year. I lost weight from watching what I ate. Yes, I exercised, but that's because I wanted to be stronger. I pretty much only lifted weights, but decided I wanted to add in some cardio because even with the weight loss/lifting, I was still getting winded going up the stairs. So I talked to my trainer - he said to add two days of cardio - one is a boot camp with him - the other is just walking. No running - just walking. Sometimes I walk fast (if I have a short time frame, I try to go fast), sometimes I walk slow (if I have a long time frame, I go slower). Don't really care about the calories I'm burning - just make sure I'm tired at the end of it. I'm a lot less winded going up the stairs. I don't think walking helped my weight loss - that was the eating - but I do think it improved my cardiovascular health and feel like I could probably push it more (even into running) if I wanted to.
  • thistimeforsure2016
    Options
    Thanks everyone and congratulations on all
    Your achievements. It's difficult to walk outside because of the weather here. And I am blessed to have a treadmill in my basement that I can use. I have a gym membership but I never go because there's always an excuse so i prefer using the treadmill because there's no excuse not to. I overdid it with my workout yesterday trying to push myself too much and now I'm reluctant for my workout today. But I'm going to try to take it easy until I get better at it.
  • gramarye
    gramarye Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Walking is 100% worth it. I've been slowly (over the course of years because reading in bed > exercise, IMO) been working up to a steady jog, but I've never done any more exercise than walking to keep my activity level up. (So I can eat more.) Walking is great.
  • sking0072
    sking0072 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I recently started walking on the treadmill and it tires me out even though it says I only burn a little bit of calories. I walk on a 2 percent incline steadily and then I switch to 5 percent for 2 minutes or as long as I can handle it. I walk at about 3.5 and then I switch down to 3 percent when I get tired. I feel like it's too slow compared to other people who can run the whole 30 minutes or people who do a Zumba class. Is walking worth it?

Yes, it is. For me, the best measurement of a cardio exercise meant to burn calories is using a heart rate monitor and being in the right fat burning zone. If you are just starting out you need to remember the mantra of crawl, walk and run in that order. It's not about killing yourself - but rather progressive improvements. Tracking your progression on sites like this should offer you insight as well as motivation. Remember, we all start from different places. You need only to compete with yourself. Keep up the good work!!!
  • justvclark
    justvclark Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    For what it's worth, I haven't been walking outside lately either. I live in Minnesota, and it's been below 0 degrees F pretty consistently lately. Instead, I've been using my 9-year old's Just Dance video game for the past week or so. I'm hooked! Just do what you have to do to get moving. Do you have music that you like? Magazines? Books on tape or just books that you can attach to the treadmill? It's kind of a nice excuse to get a bit of time to yourself to do that stuff and unwind. If your muscles are sore, just walk slowly for a few minutes to begin and let them warm up. That usually even makes my muscles feel better after strength training. Good luck!