Broccoli ideas? How to make it not... gross?

Options
3vilSox
3vilSox Posts: 13 Member
I have so much broccoli in the fridge at the moment. Has anyone got some ideas on how to make it into something a little more yummy than it's soggy steamed ugly sister?

Replies

• Yvonnie16
    Yvonnie16 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I love Broccoli with vegan alfredo sauce.

If you know nutritional yeast, you can make vegan alfredo sauce with it. Google recipe for it. You can get it in Whole Foods or even order on Amazon.

Broccoli florets steamed, one table spoon of olive oil, pepper corn, and this vegan alfredo sauce (which is not much calories and nutrition dense) - Boom. I can gullt free binge on it. It is NOM.

I also add 2 florets to my green protein smoothie. Ofcourse if you invest in a good blender, you wont even know there is broccoli

Enjoy.

• sanfromny
    sanfromny Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Not sure how you're steaming it, might be using too much water. Shouldn't be mushy. Add a little parmesan
  • OyGeeBiv
    OyGeeBiv Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Roast it, with a little bit of olive oil and some kosher salt. Also toss some whole garlic cloves in the roasting pan with the broccoli and eat them together.

Make soup out of it. Cream of Broccoli soup. Broccoli and Cheese soup.

Eat it raw, with or without dip.

Shred the stalks, and make brocco-slaw (like coleslaw).
  • brittsmith91
    brittsmith91 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Just put it in boiling water for a few seconds until it's vibrant green. Then shock it in cold water once to remove it. Is will help it keep its texture. Looks up a recipe for broccoli tots- they are deliscious!
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Roast it. Or dip it in ranch dressing.
  • Hell_Flower
    Hell_Flower Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Bake it with garlic. Nom
  • Robo_mooh
    Robo_mooh Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Oh man, I love broccoli. Try a breaking into florets, drizzle some olive oil & sea salt and oven roasting. Throw it in a stir fry - keep it crunchy. Broccoli and cheese soup - so good!
  • Nell8i8
    Nell8i8 Posts: 61 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Garlic roasted Broccoli. Wash the broccoli and dry it really well I find that it roasts better in the oven when it's well dried. Toss the broccoli with olive oil, garlic and salt and pepper. Spread them on a baking sheet and roast in overn(about 400 degrees) for 15 minutes turning them them over on their other side about half way. Squeeze lemon on them and enjoy! Quick and easy!
  • sanfromny
    sanfromny Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Roast it. Or dip it in ranch dressing.

light ranch!!!

1 serving of broccoli= 40 cals
    1 serving of ranch =140 cals
  • Matt200goal
    Matt200goal Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Broccoli (raw) with hummus (bunch o' different flavor options there)!
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    ROAST IT <3
  • WickedPineapple
    WickedPineapple Posts: 701 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    If it's soggy you're steaming it too long (or using too much water, as someone stated above). I'm a picky eater, so to make broccoli more palatable, I put a bit of salt and some kind of cheese on it (parmesan or shredded cheddar). Cheese makes everything better. :)

Do NOT chop it up really fine and put it in pizza. You will taste it and it will ruin a perfectly good pizza. (I hate most veggies and was trying to sneak it it. It didn't work.)
  • stmokomoko
    stmokomoko Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Find a decent smoothie recipe and chug it.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    sanfromny wrote: »
    Not sure how you're steaming it, might be using too much water. Shouldn't be mushy. Add a little parmesan

Steam until al dente.....yum.

Stir fry is a great way to keep the firmness. This is good with broccoli or green beans: http://www.skinnytaste.com/2014/03/chicken-and-asparagus-lemon-stir-fry.html

A nice creamy broccoli and cheese soup (okay, not very firm): http://www.skinnytaste.com/2010/12/broccoli-cheese-and-potato-soup.html
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    3vilSox wrote: »
    I have so much broccoli in the fridge at the moment. Has anyone got some ideas on how to make it into something a little more yummy than it's soggy steamed ugly sister?

Sauteed broccoli with garlic, rosemary and mushrooms is pretty tasty. I sometimes mix that with rice too. https://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=347
    http://www.budgetbytes.com/?s=Broccoli
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    +1 on roasting
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    My favorite way to cook broccoli is to do it on the grill. Little zero calorie pam or something and some garlic seasoning and cook it to just get a little black here and there. It's yummy!
  • ModernRock
    ModernRock Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Three different ideas from Alton Brown, including oven roasted broccoli:
    foodnetwork.com/shows/good-eats/11-series/if-it-aint-broccoli-dont-fix-it.html
  • bluestarlight19
    bluestarlight19 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    roast it with a little butter or oil and some crushed ritz crackers (just a few) as bread crumbs. mmmmm. Add cheese if you want. I switch it up between parm and cheddar.
  • TaraTall
    TaraTall Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Olive oil, lemon juice, chili flakes.

Try steaming it for less time.