Start Maintaining or force my body to lose those last 10 lbs

Options
Amy_B
Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
I guess I am just confused right now with what I want to do. I really believe my body is happy at this weight (150 for a 5'5" me), even though that is nearing "overweight" actually. I have been pretty much stuck here for 1.5 years. I thought I would just focus mostly on strength training and firming up. Here's the quandary...

I lost 100 pounds without counting any of the aforementioned items. I journaled my food and posted it online (after a certain point). If I knew others could see my food, I usually tried to eat sensibly. I did count fruits/veggies and water ounces. I did lean meats, lowfat dairies, and whole grains. (I still do these things.) I did have a cheat here or there, and I didn't feel deprived.

When I was stuck around 155 for so long, I decided to start counting calories for real this time (played with that a few times but always quit). I got down to 146, but I easily went back up to 150-152 with some sinus issues and not exercising as much.

I think I am okay with my body now except for a few spots I want to firm up. Should I MAKE my body lose those last 10 pounds that don't really want to budge, fearing that even if I do get down to 140, my body won't be happy there and will want to gain a few more pounds (like I've heard happening to others before)? OR should I just say "focus on toning" and other fitness goals (i.e. running another half marathon, getting good times on 5Ks) and screw trying to get to a certain number on the scale?

I guess I am trying to see if I should start maintaining.

Please help me figure this out with any advice or BTDTs that you have. Thanks!!!

Replies

• jbucci1186
    jbucci1186 Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I am literally asking myself the SAME question... I had no idea how hard the last 10lbs were going to be!!

good luck!
  • bluebird321
    bluebird321 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I find it hard to give someone advice that has lost 100lbs and has managed to keep it off. I think you are doing fantastic.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    sometimes RAISING your calories helps you to LOSE the last few. I had to eat 1600-1800 to lose the last few. I maintain at 1800-2000...

So, raise a little a week, like 100 at a time, till you get to maintenance and you'll probably get rid of a few more pounds in the process, killing 2 birds with one stone...
  • brandi16
    brandi16 Posts: 56
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. My trainer thinks I could lose another 9 more pounds, but I think I am great where I am at. I think what I have decided is this...I am going to do my best to lose the 9lbs, but will not compensate my happiness. I watch what I eat when I can, but don't stress over the nights out to dinner. If I lose, great, if I stay the same, awesome! I am willing to try, but if it doesn't work, I'm fine with that too...
  • skinnylizzard
    skinnylizzard Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I would focus on maintaining and firming up. Then after your body has a break from dieting, you can try to give it another little nudge (if you're so inclined)
  • Amy_B
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. My trainer thinks I could lose another 9 more pounds, but I think I am great where I am at. I think what I have decided is this...I am going to do my best to lose the 9lbs, but will not compensate my happiness. I watch what I eat when I can, but don't stress over the nights out to dinner. If I lose, great, if I stay the same, awesome! I am willing to try, but if it doesn't work, I'm fine with that too...
    I like this idea! Can I ask how tall you are?

Thanks for all the replies (so far). :smile:
  • SimplyDeLish
    SimplyDeLish Posts: 539
    Options
    First, congrats on the weight loss. That is an awesome accomplishment.

I've read some about perfect body weight - thanks to the popularity of the Dukan Diet. If you carried those 100 pounds around for a long time your natural body weight may be higher than you think. I went to the Dukan Diet website and had it figure my perfect weight - it was 40 lbs more than what I had set my goal for.

I'd focus on toning and continuing to be healthy. Those last 10 pounds aren't worth struggling with for the rest of your life!
  • jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Personally I think if you have to "force" it - you're just going to be miserable doing it and it won't stick in the long run. I know exactly what you're going through. I have been stuck at 175 ish for the past 6 months. I would love to get to 160 but can't seem to get any lower than 172. So I decided not to worry about it. I'm going to do what I normally do.. if I lose a little more then okay, if I don't that's okay too. I'm not going to stress over a number. I know that I feel terriffic, I look pretty darn good, and although technically I'm still considered "overweight" - I'm extremely healthy and active so I'm not going to worry about the label. My doctor agrees.

I still do lots of cardio because I like the challenge and I'm trying to jog/run more, something I never did even as a teen so its cool to be able to do it now. I am upping my strength workouts - to make them more consistent, including joining a body pump 1x per week. As big as I was, I will always have extra skin but I tell you the toning has really taken care a lot of that, including the bat wings. So tone and enjoy! You've come a long way baby - just run with it, be your sexy, healthy self and you'll be happier in the long run!
  • hartsmart
    hartsmart Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    wow!! i've been asking myself the very same question!! i have been stuck at 145 for so long, and i just want to be at the point where i'm maintaining. but i don't think i'm happy yet, with my belly pooch and flabby thighs still annoying me beyond belief!!
    i hope you find your answer, because it truly is a personal and individual decision...as tough as it is!! (you do look great, btw)
  • corinnak
    corinnak Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your wonderful accomplishments so far! You've done amazing work!

I have not lost as much as you, but I have been maintaining, sometimes gaining a bit, sometimes losing, for about a year and a half now. My experience is that the last 10 pounds are always hard-won and hard-maintained. If you feel good where you are and you can maintain it easily, that could be preferable to pushing through the last 10 pounds and having to continue to work just as hard to keep them off.

There is a chance that those trouble spots might not go away even at a lower weight - I know I for one have that problem. My stomach has always been where I carry the most weight and even at goal, I have fat and skin there that just doesn't budge.

I do think our bodies are probably programmed to want to have a "safety net" of excess fat. It makes some sense. If we get sick, if we stumble upon hard times, our bodies want to protect us by having that "buffer." Unfortunately, it leaves us looking less "buff" than today's media implies we should strive for. I'm not saying you shouldn't go for it, but definitely, when I am losing (or re-losing) the last few pounds, it means definite dietary sacrifice. I keep choosing to do it because I love to wear my small pants and I do feel less bulgy in that still-squishy middle when I'm down at the lower end of my maintenance range, but sometimes I think it would be smarter to be content at a higher weight.
  • Amy_B
    Options

I've read some about perfect body weight - thanks to the popularity of the Dukan Diet. If you carried those 100 pounds around for a long time your natural body weight may be higher than you think. I went to the Dukan Diet website and had it figure my perfect weight - it was 40 lbs more than what I had set my goal for.

I'd focus on toning and continuing to be healthy. Those last 10 pounds aren't worth struggling with for the rest of your life!
    I just tried that website. It said my true weight is 147, so I am about there already. That kind of makes sense to me.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Your story sounds so much like mine. Hit my goal weight of 150lbs in September. Maintained it from September through May 2011.

I just happened to eat too many calories a few days in a row and what do you know? I lost a little weight. So, I upp'ed them for a longer term and what do you know? I dropped to 145lbs in that week. I've been eating basically those amount of calories for a month or so and I'm hovering between 144-147lbs. I've been agonizing over this decision for awhile now.

Yesterday, I decided I'm done losing weight. I'm going to work on new fitness goals that have NOTHING to do with a number on the scale. I truly believe our bodies have an ideal weight and trying to force it to be under that weight will result in yo-yo dieting.

I'm going to focus more on toning things up, running a mile in 10 mins, being able to bench press and squat my body weight, etc. These are still fitness goals - they just aren't weight loss goals. If I lose more weight as I do them - great! If I don't - that is great too.

Fighting your body too much will drive you crazy.
  • InStabilityKills
    Options
    First off - AWESOME JOB! Losing 100lbs is frickin amazing! Secondly. Maybe start focusing on strength training. Strength training raises your metabolism. So while toning you are burning more throughout the day. Good Luck!
  • Amy_B
    Options
    Thank you all for replying and thanks for the compliments!

Congrats on all your weight losses as well! :smile:
  • Amy_B
    Options
    First off - AWESOME JOB! Losing 100lbs is frickin amazing! Secondly. Maybe start focusing on strength training. Strength training raises your metabolism. So while toning you are burning more throughout the day. Good Luck!
    That's what my husband said. I am working on incorporating that even more.
  • lemanda
    lemanda Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I hear ya. Those last 10 or so pounds are DEFINITELY the hardest to lose. You really have to be on top of everything to get rid of them, which is my problem.
  • jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options

Of course that made me curious - had to check out what they recommended my perfect weight is: 180lb. Which interestingly, my doctor told me I should aim for about 185 when we discussed my weight loss. So maybe that's why I am hovering around that 175lbs.
  • barbiex3
    barbiex3 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    I wish I knew the answer. I'm 5'7", and I'm trying to get down to 125, but i've been stuck at 136 for a long time. It just seems like nothing is happening. I know the feeling. Maybe 150 is where your body wants to be, but it's not impossible to go lower. It's all about what you want to put your body through. If you are happy, work on matinence, if you are not happy, keep cutting the calories. Conrgrats on the weight loss btw- that is something to really be proud of
  • jasonweinberg
    Options
    i've lost between 115-120 lbs depending on which end of the pendulum i am on. my weight just drifts up and down in a five pound zone. basically i had hit goal and d3ecided i wanted to drop ten more for good measure but am in no particualr rush to do it. basically, i shoot to lose but pretty much just wind up maintaining. which is fine. i still think at some point its going to click and that next ten lbs is going to drop off...
  • Amy_B
    Options
    i've lost between 115-120 lbs depending on which end of the pendulum i am on. my weight just drifts up and down in a five pound zone. basically i had hit goal and d3ecided i wanted to drop ten more for good measure but am in no particualr rush to do it. basically, i shoot to lose but pretty much just wind up maintaining. which is fine. i still think at some point its going to click and that next ten lbs is going to drop off...
    I hope so, for the both of us! I have been at this (besides during 2 pregnancies) since November 2005. I am tired of trying to lose weight!