Macros Question!

Options
I just planned out a simple breakfast and lunch and would like an opinion. I'm trying to lose weight. I'm 5'2'' 120 lbs female. I used a macro calculator with 1500 calories-low carb as a basis and got these numbers PER MEAL: 31g. Carbs, 56g. Protein and 17g. of Fat.

This is very hard to do without eating just protein alone. For breakfast I came up with a smoothie with 1 C frozen berries, 2 TBS almond butter, 4oz greek yogurt and 2 C Kale. For lunch I came up with 3 scrambled eggs with 1 C of black beans, salsa and a 2 oz. can of tuna fish (boring lol).

Any suggestions? Does this sound normal? Good ideas for dinner? Tonight I had 1 chicket cutlet and 2 cups brussell sprouts and I know it probably was nowhere near 56 grams of protein but I was full!

Replies

• Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    Please don't micro-analyze to the point of having a perfect macro ratio for every meal. You'll go insane.

Just worry about your daily totals.
  • Talan79
    Talan79 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Hi there. I'm also 5"2 and about the same weight.
    I change my macros weekly. It's hard to get everything perfect. Don't stress about one gram here or there. I tend to play with the meal planning then save as a custom meal, then pretty much eat the same stuff before changing macros again.
    56g of protein per meal is really high. I've read on bodybuilding.com that your body can utilize about 30g at a time. At your size, your good with 120g a day.
  • hideme555
    hideme555 Posts: 5 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Thanks guys! How do you feel about carbs? I am trying to avoid breads of any type, pasta etc. What is a typical breakfast, lunch and dinner for you?

I could definitely have the same smoothie every morning without going too crazy but lunch and dinner are the tough ones. Plus, after I eat dinner my mind tells me, "cheese and crackers would be soooooo good right now!" and "I wish we had snacks" lol And I'm not really hungry, just craving carbs! So I don't buy anything.

(Trying to get fit for a trip to Mexico)
  • Spinner_
    Spinner_ Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Go for slow digesting carbs such as sweet potatoes and brown rice. Will keep you feeling fuller for longer. Try eating them pre or post workout.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    hideme555 wrote: »
    Thanks guys! How do you feel about carbs? I am trying to avoid breads of any type, pasta etc. What is a typical breakfast, lunch and dinner for you?

I could definitely have the same smoothie every morning without going too crazy but lunch and dinner are the tough ones. Plus, after I eat dinner my mind tells me, "cheese and crackers would be soooooo good right now!" and "I wish we had snacks" lol And I'm not really hungry, just craving carbs! So I don't buy anything.

I would focus on hitting your protein and fat needs without obsessing over carbohydrates (this is assuming you don't have a medical condition that requires you to focus on carbohydrates). If you're in a deficit, eating carbohydrates isn't going to interfere with your weight loss. Just focus on getting enough protein and fat. There's no need to avoid bread and pasta (unless you don't find them worth the calories and want to eat other foods instead). I ate bread and pasta (along with rice and potatoes) regularly while losing weight. Just make sure you log the calories. If you want some cheese and crackers, have a portion that fits in your calorie goals.

Edit: Corrected error -- meant to say one should focus on getting enough protein and fat.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    hideme555 wrote: »

I would focus on hitting your protein and fat needs without obsessing over carbohydrates (this is assuming you don't have a medical condition that requires you to focus on carbohydrates). If you're in a deficit, eating carbohydrates isn't going to interfere with your weight loss. Just focus on getting enough protein and fat. There's no need to avoid bread and pasta (unless you don't find them worth the calories and want to eat other foods instead). I ate bread and pasta (along with rice and potatoes) regularly while losing weight. Just make sure you log the calories. If you want some cheese and crackers, have a portion that fits in your calorie goals.

FIFY

Otherwise, +1
  • Talan79
    Talan79 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    For carbs, I do whole wheat english muffin, Ezekiel bread, rice cakes, quinoa...
    I eat egg whiles omelets every morning. I add salsa, or low fat mexican blend cheese.
    A slice or ezekeil bread, half or whole english muffin depending on what my macros are like that week.
    Sweet potatoes are awesome too for carbs.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Way too much Protein, and way too little fat. 20/20/60 much better!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    @Carlos_421 Thank you. My mind must have been wandering. I corrected my initial post.
  • hideme555
    Options
    Thanks again. Is it a big deal if I just can't stomach that much protein? I mean 3 eggs with beans and salsa is a lot for me and if I try to add a 2oz can of tuna fish it just doesnt feel necessary simply to get extra protein. All I want to do is lose fat and gain a little muscle in my butt. I'm not body building etc.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    .64-.82 gram of protein per pound is sufficient. I know that you don't want to be a bodybuilder but eating sufficient protein (and doing resistance exercise) while losing weight helps to minimize your muscle loss.
  • hideme555
    edited January 2016
    Options
    ps- 3 eggs and 1/2 cup beans is 26g protein. 20 carbs and 15 fat 305 cals.
  • errollmaclean
    errollmaclean Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to add that it's easier to think of your macro goals as daily goals not per meal ratios. Especially since you're not interested in being an elite level athlete. No point in over complicating it.

There's nothing wrong with carbs. They just happen to be this decades scapegoat/fad as fat was the scapegoat in the 80's.

Protein and fat are minimums don't worry about going over. Just googling macros will fill you in on the function of each and why each is important. Also tracking fiber is a good idea. It helps a lot with keeping you full. No reason to worry about sugar unless you have medical conditions.

As long as you aim to hit your fat and protein and stay within your calorie target (a digital food scale can help tremendously with this) you'll do fine.
  • ArmorForFitness
    ArmorForFitness Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Hi there! First, I think it's awesome that you are counting your macros! I'm currently doing P90X and for the first month the dietary plan is called the fat-shredder phase which calls for 1,800calories/day with a macro ratio of 50% Protein, 30% Carbs, 20% Fats. That translates to a total of 225g Protein, 135g Carbs, and 40g Fat. At first I struggled to even get close to the amount of proteins I needed to consume, while I always hit and passed my carbs amount. But then I did some research and the best things to get some lean protein are chicken breast. You get around 20g of protein for every 4oz (3oz when cooked). Also egg whites 3Tbs = 5g protein. Cottage cheese is also really good on protein, no carbs, and you can buy low-fat & no fat cottage cheese. Also turkey ham (5g protein for every slice?) I'm not too sure on that one.

I would drink a Bpi protein after a workout (24g Protein)
    Morning breakfast would be something like egg-white omelet w/2 slices of turkey ham and sometimes I'd add a whole-wheat english muffin! (I LOVE MY BREAD!) And 4oz of cottage cheese.
    My 1st snack: Cliff Builder's Protein Bar
    Lunch: 5oz cooked chicken salad w/2 slices of turkey ham
    2nd Snack: 1oz Turkey Jerky & low-fat cheese stick
    Dinner: 5oz cooked chicken breast w/1 cup brown rice. Sometimes I'd 4 oz of cottage cheese.
    Mostly all my meals I drink with water or sometimes I'd drink milk with my breakfast.

Also, someone else mentioned that you not stress to much on mico-managing each meal. Just worry about your hit your macros at the end of the day (some people have said it's okay if you track by the week too). So you don't have to get every meal precise c: For example my breakfast is highest in calories because I need the energy to start my day! c:

I hope I was able to help!
  • ricolifee
    ricolifee Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I've recently started counting my macros and have been for a few weeks, I'm also about the same as you... Just under 125lbs and 5"2 Female.

I don't worry too much about cutting macros into meals, easier to think daily.

I aim for 1300 cals per day - 140g protein 80g carbs and 38g fat, but always go under on carbs. Honestly, I have the stupid fear they will make me fat. I try to eat them only post workout and the rest I get in veg/fruit.

Counting macros seems to be working for me so far. I can recommend a low carb/ low fat protein powder like "Isopure zero carb" or "whey isolate" to help balance out your macros and to add some protein to your diet.

I try to get an egg based meal in each day - like an omelette/ scrambled egg (3 eggs -1 yoke, 3 whites) with beans. Homemade sweet potato hash browns are a favourite of mine.
    Then I can figure out what macros I have left for dinner, but it usually ends up a meat/ fish based meal with roasted veg.
  • hideme555
    Options
    @Ricollfee, are you trying to lose weight? How long have you been at it? What do you do for workouts? My goal is 110 by April 15. Hoping I can make it! I try to stay away from carbs too because I have the same fear as you. I feel like eating breads, rice, etc are going to ruin my weight loss. Sweet potato hash browns sound yummy though! How do you make those? I've been having a smoothie in the morning, eggs and beans for lunch, and meat w/ veggies at dinner so we are pretty similar. Eggs and beans though will get boring soon though haha.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    carbs will not ruin weight loss. eating more than you burn will. unless you have a health reason where you have to watch carbs then there is no reason to avoid them or cut them way down,