When do you buy new clothes?

Options
smiles4jo
smiles4jo Posts: 202 Member
I'm still at the beginning of this journey having lost close to 10 pounds, but I would like to lose about 75 lbs overall.

How long would you say it took to start to notice enough of a difference in your clothes that you had to buy new clothes? While I'm looking forward to shopping, I'm not looking forward to having to buy a whole new wardrobe a few times over as the weight comes off. Should I just try and hold out as long as possible before buying new clothes? Or celebrate the pounds coming off with new stuff? :)

I'm currently a size 16/18 - The last time I was at my goal weight, I was wearing an 8/10. Like most people I'm sure, I do have a box of clothes that I couldn't get rid of as I gained weight, but it's certainly not a whole wardrobe.

Replies

• michaelafoor916
    michaelafoor916 Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who's a personal trainer and he tells people to go as long as you can. He told me to buy belts and use them as long as you can. You will look like you are wearing a parachute at times but he's found a lot of his clients will lose motivation when they buy new clothes because they don't want to go farther and have to buy clothes again. He also said if you do have to buy clothes, don't buy an entire wardrobe. just buy a few things to get you by until you reach your goal :) I hope this helps!
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Buy new clothes when your old ones are too big. If you need a belt to hold up your pants, probably time to shop around. And if that weight isn't your goal, just an interim, you could check out Goodwill and the like since you won't be staying at that weight. Then, when you get out of those, donate them back.
  • retiree2006
    retiree2006 Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I recall I got some new items (actually I went to some resale shops) after I lost about 20 pounds. Some friends nicely commented that it looked like things were about to fall off me! I found some fabulous clothes, some that still had tags on them. I didn't want to spend too much when I was still losing but did buy some store items that were on sale to help me through. It actually became fun to shop resale as I found I was getting a lot pickier about fit and how things looked. It took me about a year after losing the weight to get rid of the old clothes as I was used to keeping them "just in case". It felt so good to take the clothes that were in good condition to some of the local shops that support good causes.

So, basically, get a couple reasonably priced new items if it will encourage you to feel good about yourself, but fill in with resale items so you don't feel guilty about replacing them as you go along. Sounds like you're doing great, so good luck with continuing on!
  • niniundlapin
    niniundlapin Posts: 327 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I can't think of when I started buying new clothes, but I did buy more when I'm very close to my goal weight. Some of those weren't actually fit & were still tight, but I used those as a form of measurement/ reward to motivate myself. Maybe you can start to buy some that are really close to your first goal weight since you'll eventually need those, and, until you reach your second goal weight, you can still wear them for a while. :smile:
  • CarolSikes
    CarolSikes Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    This is funny - I've had people (mostly my mother) trying to get me to buy new clothes - but I can't see the point of it. I haven't lost much weight in the grand scheme of things yet (30 pounds out of 112) - so why get new clothes at this point? Luckily I still had some pants the next size down and then 1 pair the size under that - so that's what I'm currently using. My tops are beginning to look pretty bad on me, but I'd like to lose around 20 more pounds before putting money in something like that.
    But it's up to you. Do you think it would be motivating for you to have some new clothes to wear? Or do you think you'd get attached to them and regret growing out of them?
  • Shanel0916
    Shanel0916 Posts: 586 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I found that wearing the baggy clothing made me feel bad especially when looking in the mirror. So I shopped clearance and some really good sales and bought new clothing for work. To me it has motivated me even more. Sure I may have to purchase more later down the road but feeling good about the progress is more important to me. I went from size 12 to 8 (some 6's depending on the cut) makes me feel good getting dressed rather than like a hobo.

ETA: I didn't buy a whole wardrobe few pairs of pants plenty of shirts to change up with them and a couple pairs of jeans.
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    I dropped 4 pant sizes over a year. I went to Goodwill and thrift stores until I reached my goal weight/comp.
    Then, I went out and purchased new.
    Saved me lot's.
  • cdudley628
    cdudley628 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    If you need clothes for work, I suggest going to thrift shops and finding stuff for cheap while going through the weight loss process. Maybe a couple pairs of pants and some blouses when you find that all of your other clothes are too loose to properly wear, and you can wear the same clothes out to run errands or for a night out. I would say for pajamas/hanging around the house clothes, just keep wearing them big. Then when you reach your goal and decide that's where you're going to maintain, go on a huge shopping trip! It is a matter of personal preference on how loose or tight you like your clothing.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    I dropped 4 pant sizes over a year. I went to Goodwill and thrift stores until I reached my goal weight/comp.
    Then, I went out and purchased new.
    Saved me lot's.

and lots of clearance racks
  • smiles4jo
    smiles4jo Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I will probably be able to shop in my own closet for a while as most of my stuff is too tight right now anyway! Thanks for the input everyone!
  • IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    IILikeToMoveItMoveIt Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Thrift stores...all day! I also buy stuff on cheap clearance (in advance if its 2-3 bucks). Just to have something when I get to that weight. Just enough to get by. By the time you get to GW you've kinda already sifted out and added new things here and there. So it's not such a big hit. You might not even notice. Seems like every 10-15ish lbs I have to get a new pair of pants. But I get jeans because they last a while and go with a lot of things. And only one pair. I still have clothes from before I gained weight, so there is that. If I can get away with wearing it for a bit longer, I'll keep some stuff. Mostly shirts. Pants either fit or fall down, I won't deal with falling down pants and I loathe belts that aren't an accessory (what?! I know it's weird..) You could add a little search time to shopping. Don't buy it unless you love it or really need it and maybe keep a dollar amount in mind of what you think something is worth to you. (That actually helps me choose clothes sometimes.) I cap jeans at up to 8 bucks, shirts at 1-3, leggings at 3... Last Sept. I bought my 5 yr old daughter and 1.5 yr old son clothes 'till spring/summer, 20+ pairs of jeans, jackets, t-shirts, collared shirts, shorts, dresses etc. 20 bucks per child. I don't pay more than 3 bucks for new shoes, I buy in advance for that price. They are set for the next 2 sizes in formal, play and reg. shoes. Me too, I love sandals and have lost .5 a sz. So keep that in mind as well. Paying a couple bucks for shoes (or anything you know you will use) in the off season will save you money in the long run. If you can do it. 3 bucks here and there make a difference. Best of luck to you!
  • ncfitbit
    ncfitbit Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who's a personal trainer and he tells people to go as long as you can. He told me to buy belts and use them as long as you can. You will look like you are wearing a parachute at times but he's found a lot of his clients will lose motivation when they buy new clothes because they don't want to go farther and have to buy clothes again. He also said if you do have to buy clothes, don't buy an entire wardrobe. just buy a few things to get you by until you reach your goal :) I hope this helps!

Hmm, that's interesting. I've been wondering whether that's been true for me. I lost about 27 lbs. but the last few months have been super slow. I did purchase new clothes over the summer and then in the fall because I couldn't stand it anymore. I did worry about my motivation, but for the new year I set a goal of going down two more sizes by next Fall/Winter so I hope that means I can skip buying one size. I bought a few higher quality items (skirts and pants) that I think I can tailor once I'm at my goal size so that I'm not forced to give them away. The stuff I bought in the summer was not very expensive so I won't think twice about having to buy new shorts next summer.
  • PugsMagoo
    PugsMagoo Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I've used belts and sewn darts in the waistbands to keep the clothes a little longer. I've even have a few with a safety pin serving as a cinch. I would love to have all new clothes, but it gets expensive.
  • WendyLaubach
    WendyLaubach Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I've lost 33 lbs. out of a planned 125. I've been sewing darts in waistbands like crazy, and buying ultra-cheap t-shirts, in the hopeful knowledge that they don't have to last long. For a while, I'll be able to pull old clothes out of retirement--but as of this morning, I am excited to realize that there no longer is anything in my closet that's too small for me.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    About every 30-40 pounds or so. I've lost 140 pounds in just under 17 months and I've had to buy 3 sets of new clothes during that time (about every 4-5 months), the most recent being about the middle of October 2015. Thrift stores are your friend and help ease the pain you might otherwise feel in your wallet. One thing I learned was to purposefully get a few clothing items in a size too small for me so that I would have at least a few things to wear when I'e outgrown my current wardrobe. I've lost 15 pounds since I bought my last set in mid-October and I'm so glad I have a few smaller sized tops / pants ready and waiting for me.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    I bought new clothes when my old clothes were too large and didn't look good on me.
  • HG93022
    HG93022 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I bought two new pair of jeans that are a little tight now and got rid of two. When the next two pair of older jeans get too big I will buy two more. The two I recently bought will still fit (since I bought them tight and have been washing them in cold and hanging them to dry for now) because I will wash/dry in hot when I get smaller.
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    PugsMagoo wrote: »
    I've used belts and sewn darts in the waistbands to keep the clothes a little longer. I've even have a few with a safety pin serving as a cinch. I would love to have all new clothes, but it gets expensive.

Same here for the most part. I'm glad I can do some simple alterations to make them last longer. In warmer weather I wear more skirts and dresses since they are easier to have a little too big and still be wearable.

I do occasionally buy something new - usually jeans. I try thrift stores but being tall makes it hard to find jeans that are long enough new or used. I'm a touch over 6 foot. I'll never understand why men's clothing has inseam options but womens doesn't. ...I mean are we really all the same height? Lol

Right now I again have my pants falling off me lol. I want to sew today but all the ice/sleet/snow/wind is trying hard to take our power and it keeps blinking . Not willing to plug in my new sewing machine and offer it up to power surges (even with a power strip lol).
  • MyBoyG
    MyBoyG Posts: 104 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I recall I got some new items (actually I went to some resale shops) after I lost about 20 pounds. Some friends nicely commented that it looked like things were about to fall off me! I found some fabulous clothes, some that still had tags on them. I didn't want to spend too much when I was still losing but did buy some store items that were on sale to help me through. It actually became fun to shop resale as I found I was getting a lot pickier about fit and how things looked. It took me about a year after losing the weight to get rid of the old clothes as I was used to keeping them "just in case". It felt so good to take the clothes that were in good condition to some of the local shops that support good causes.

So, basically, get a couple reasonably priced new items if it will encourage you to feel good about yourself, but fill in with resale items so you don't feel guilty about replacing them as you go along. Sounds like you're doing great, so good luck with continuing on!
    Love consignment shopping and selling! I buy more consignment pieces and a few new when clothes start feeling too baggy I was a size 16, went down to 12 and unfortunately gained back and at 14 again. I consigned all my size 16 suits and jackets...once gone, never to be that size again! Luckily I didn't get rid of all the 14's but needed a few new jackets/slacks, so I went to the consignment shop and found like new items. I love buying designer items for cheap :) This way, when get back into 12's I don't feel guilty about spending a lot of money on 'in between' clothes.

I hate the feeling of ill fitting pants. I love big tops, but gotta replace pants or skirts when they're sliding down :)

• SweetPeasMom55
    SweetPeasMom55 Posts: 3,385 Member
    Options
    used a belt until one day when I went to the bathroom I realized I didn't undo the belt or the pants. That's when i went out and Bought new pants and belt. thrift stores are great you get a deal and can continue losing weight and not feel like you spent a fortune on clothes.