Options
2»

Replies

• FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    First off, disregard the comment from whoever said diet soda isn't any worse than a cup of coffee. That's simply not true. Natural black coffee has non of the crap that it is in a diet soda.

Now, to be honest I feel that diet soda is almost worse for you than a regular soda. You're tricking your body and metabolism into thinking it's getting sugar on the way, but it's artificial sweetener. This can cause worse cravings among other things. Try really hard to kick soda completely, and treat yourself to can of regular Coke once in a while until you can completely stop. I use to be hooked on Dr. Pepper and Pepsi so I know how hard it is. Trust me it gets way easier. I have zero desire for soda any longer.

Jmo

so much woo and wrongness….

To what effect?

Lets start here…you can't "trick" your bodies metabolism. metabolism is metabolism. IF you have a peer reviewed source that you want to cite on this, I would be interested in reading it.

http://www.healthy-holistic-living.com/artificial-sweeteners-confuse-body-storing-fat-inducing-diabetes.html

First article I pulled up. There's a dozen when you type in artificial sweetener. You can't be saying it's good for you??

And what else was I wrong about?

Want to try something from PubMed or Google Scholar, rather than a woo site?

• Spook_Nuke_Em
    Spook_Nuke_Em Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    So everyone is saying diet soda is good for you?? And everyone else is making this up??

Bottom line is diet soda is not good for you. You can't say otherwise.
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    So everyone is saying diet soda is good for you?? And everyone else is making this up??

Diet soda is indifferent. It doesn't provide much in the way of nutrition but is in no way harmful.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1308408/why-aspartame-isnt-scary/p1
  • Spook_Nuke_Em
    Options

Diet soda is indifferent. It doesn't provide much in the way of nutrition but is in no way harmful.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1308408/why-aspartame-isnt-scary/p1

Ok, you're right man. Diet soda is perfectly fine and has no adverse effects on the human body. We should have been drinking it thousands of years ago.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

in the context of an overall diet that hits micros, macros, and calories, no there is nothing wrong with it.
  • ndj1979
    Options

Ok, you're right man. Diet soda is perfectly fine and has no adverse effects on the human body. We should have been drinking it thousands of years ago.

there are lots of things we do now that we did not do thousands of years ago, like flying…is that bad?
  • Spook_Nuke_Em
    Options

there are lots of things we do now that we did not do thousands of years ago, like flying…is that bad?

Like I said you're right and I'm ignorant. Sorry for putting my opinion.

Everyone continue diet soda.
  • ndj1979
    Options

my suggestion ….go read some actual studies on the subject and try to avoid just "googling" it ….
  • Spook_Nuke_Em
    Options

my suggestion ….go read some actual studies on the subject and try to avoid just "googling" it ….

Thanks bro. I appreciate your suggestions. Hopefully with dedication and hard work I can someday have that superior knowledge you possess.

Blessings.
  • ndj1979
    Options

Thanks bro. I appreciate your suggestions. Hopefully with dedication and hard work I can someday have that superior knowledge you possess.

Blessings.

With hard work you can get there
  • angelamy1977
    angelamy1977 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I drink Diet Pepsi or Diet Coke- rather it's "good for me" or not. I don't want to preach it's good for you- it's not. BUT - it's not something I'm willing to (yet anyways) cut out of my diet. I do drink a lot less than I used to but it's not going to go away. I do find that getting carbonated, flavored water is a good substitute and I also buy the "drink enhancers" that you can squirt in your water. I find it's easy for people who don't drink soda or aren't "addicted" to tell you it's awful and cut it out completely but sometimes that's not feasible. If you're like me- I was dependent on soda the way many people are to coffee. The best thing you can do for yourself is wean. Cut back. The more you cut back and wean yourself off it - the easier it will get to start choosing other healthier drinks. Good luck !!! :smile:
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    A good friend of mine used to drink close to a six pack of Pepsi every day. He stopped drinking soda cold turkey on one of our deployments together and lost nearly 20 pounds over six months. No real change in his activity level or overall diet, just cut out the soda. Just cutting out that extra sugar made a huge difference. If you can cut it out completely and drink it only as an occasional treat I'm sure you'd be much better off. Good luck!

You can't say he had "No real change in overall diet", he didn't just cut out extra sugar, he cut out 900 calories a day. That's where a 20lb loss comes from. He could have substitutes diet pepsi for pepsi and seen quite similar results.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

Blessings.

With hard work you can get there

Or some basic research skills. Just by reading the link, lulz...from holistic living, it says that the artificial sweeteners help induce diabetes....if that were true, why would the ADA recommend diet soda to people with diabetes, and actually indicate that it doesn't induce diabetes?
  • cbendorf13
    cbendorf13 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Sorry I haven't read all the response but as a sodaholic I can say it is hard to beat. I try removing one aspect from my diet at a time. First start with either the caffeine or the sugar. I generally stop drinking soda but substitute tea or have even used the green coffee pills for the caffeine. Once I feel like I am over the sugar part I stop the caffeine. My problem is I keep thinking I can have an occasional soda. This usually gets me right back. I would not go with artificial sweeteners they are often worse. Good luck
  • abertrand87
    abertrand87 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    switch to coffee or tea to beat the caffeine withdrawal and try carbonated flavoured waters (no artificial sweeteners - buy a berry one and a tangerine one).