Anyone know how accurate is the bmr

Kouta154
Kouta154 Posts: 5 Member
edited September 28 in Fitness and Exercise
Ok im new to this i just wanted to know if anyone knew how accurate is the bmr that this program generates. BMR is the calories naturally burn each day without doing anything. Im 6 feet and 170 pounds and its saying my BMR rate is 2250 each day which sounds a little suspect to me. I was thinking more around 1800 a day or maybe even 1700 a day.

Replies

• sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    I am finding extremely similar results no matter what website I use to check my BMR.

1370 here
    1381 another place
    highest was, I think, 1490 - which is still extremely similar to the lowest, 1370.

2250 does seem kinda high for bmr, are you sure you aren't looking at your TDEE (total daily energy expendature)?
  • FitCoachJen
    FitCoachJen Posts: 139 Member
    I'm not sure which equation MFP uses, but there are generally two ways to calculate BMR.

Harris Benedict equation (men only):
    BMR = 66 + (13.7 X wt in kg) + (5 X ht in cm) - (6.8 X age in years)

Katch McArdle equation (men and women):
    BMR = 370 + (21.6 X lean mass in kg)

then multiply that number by one of these, based on your daily activity level:
    Sedentary = BMR X 1.2 (little or no exercise, desk job)
    Lightly active = BMR X 1.375 (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/wk)
    Moderately active = BMR X 1.55 (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/wk)
    Very active = BMR X 1.725 (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days/wk)
    Extremely active = BMR X 1.9 (hard daily exercise/sports & physical job)

That gives you the calories required to maintain your weight, add or subtract as necessary. Personally, I listed myself as "sedentary" so I can track exercise manually on the days I do it, thus increasing my caloric needs for the day. People who list themselves as "moderately active" AND track exercise might not lose any weight.

Hope this helps :-)
  • Kouta154
    Yes im sure its the BMR. Its trying to say i naturally burn 2250 and thats with the sedentary option. Have any of you lost weight following the calories they recommend?
  • ghoztt
    ghoztt Posts: 69 Member
    2250 is your TDEE. Your BMR using age 24, male, 6', 170lbs is as you suspected, 1799 calories a day. You can go to TOOLS in the menu and there is a BMR calculator. Remember that BMR is the energy your body expends at complete rest for 24 hours. The 2250 number is the calories you expend on an average day according to whatever you put in as your daily activity.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    I'm not sure which equation MFP uses, but there are generally two ways to calculate BMR.

Harris Benedict equation (men only):
    BMR = 66 + (13.7 X wt in kg) + (5 X ht in cm) - (6.8 X age in years)

Katch McArdle equation (men and women):
    BMR = 370 + (21.6 X lean mass in kg)

then multiply that number by one of these, based on your daily activity level:
    Sedentary = BMR X 1.2 (little or no exercise, desk job)
    Lightly active = BMR X 1.375 (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/wk)
    Moderately active = BMR X 1.55 (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/wk)
    Very active = BMR X 1.725 (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days/wk)
    Extremely active = BMR X 1.9 (hard daily exercise/sports & physical job)

That gives you the calories required to maintain your weight, add or subtract as necessary. Personally, I listed myself as "sedentary" so I can track exercise manually on the days I do it, thus increasing my caloric needs for the day. People who list themselves as "moderately active" AND track exercise might not lose any weight.

Hope this helps :-)

What she said. Or you can simply multiply your weight by 10 or 11. Not as precise has what she posted though.
  • Kouta154
    ok thanks i understand now
This discussion has been closed.