Macro Counting!?

I need tips and suggestions when it comes to finding macros that's gonna give results. I really want to build muscle and lose fat but I have no clue what my macros should be. I was 80/10/10 and that was ok but i got stuck with my weight so I switched it up now i feel as if i'm gaing weight. Any suggestions would be nice.

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    When it comes to losing weight, the number of calories you eat is going to be way more important than your macros. Have you considered going with MFP's default macro settings and then adjusting as needed (based on how you feel)?

If you got stuck with your weight loss, it was more likely a calorie issue than a macro issue.
  • finneyjason218
    finneyjason218 Posts: 166 Member
    Completely agree with janerellyroll.

I use a 45C/25P/30F spilt but that comes from years of counting!

In general, 80/10/10 is going to leave you deficient in a lot of areas, as well as make you hungrier.
    Also, in general, fats and proteins have a higher glycemic index than carbohydrates, and thus make you feel fuller, longer. Eating enough quality fats keeps hormones in balance, and eating enough protein will help build and maintain muscle.

Important to change this up every so often as well, so that you are eating different foods (and micro nutrients) and avoid plateaus! Continuing to eat fewer calories is still the most important factor, but when you get to a point where you can't really eat less than you are already eating, I have found this helpful.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    80/10/10 IS NOT OK! Try 30/25/45 instead.
  • tillerstouch
    tillerstouch Posts: 608 Member
    Build muscle and lose fats aren't something you'll be able to do together effectively.

Muscle growth you'll want a calorie surplus or at the very least maintaince. A very basic macro plan for building muscle would be 50c 25p 25f.

Losing fat isn't too much about macros more about a calorie deficit. That's not to say it wouldn't be good to watch macros but it's less important.

Typically when people are trying to reduce fat their goal is to maintain muscle. You could set your calorie intake to only like 100 calories under maintain this would cause slow fat loss and minimalize muscle loss.

Also 80/10/10 macros seems like extremely high carb.
  • pzarnosky
    pzarnosky Posts: 256 Member
    Completely agree with janerellyroll.

I use a 45C/25P/30F spilt but that comes from years of counting!

In general, 80/10/10 is going to leave you deficient in a lot of areas, as well as make you hungrier.
    Also, in general, fats and proteins have a higher glycemic index than carbohydrates, and thus make you feel fuller, longer. Eating enough quality fats keeps hormones in balance, and eating enough protein will help build and maintain muscle.

Important to change this up every so often as well, so that you are eating different foods (and micro nutrients) and avoid plateaus! Continuing to eat fewer calories is still the most important factor, but when you get to a point where you can't really eat less than you are already eating, I have found this helpful.

Fats and proteins are low glycemic index foods. The GI is a measure of how much a food raises your blood glucose levels, which is why sugary carbohydrate rich foods are high scoring. I don't know where you got your information but it's wrong. Fats and proteins in general (and I'm struggling to come up with an exception to this) will score in the lowest category for the GI.. hence the reason diabetics are told to decrease carbs and up protein and fats.
  • nadler64
    nadler64 Posts: 124 Member
    Good advice above. 80/10/10 is just asking for trouble. If you don't have enough protein and fat in your diet - and you don't - your body will hang onto and even add body fat because it thinks you're starving. You'll feel hungrier. You won't build muscle.

40/30/30 seems to work for me. I've found that once I go above 45c, I get into the nasty carb craving cycle. I've been working with a registered dietician for 6+ months, and she told me I should never go below 30% fat. It's worked for me (and I'm a triathlete). YMMV.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Start with something reasonably well balanced... 40/30/30 or something like that, however you want to split them based on your eating preferences. Do that for a few months and see how you do. Then adjust as necessary.

There is no 1 right answer.
  • heis4u2004
    heis4u2004 Posts: 176 Member
    There are several websites that have a macronutrients calculator. Here's one to try, macronutrientcalculator.com.
  • meggie_l
    meggie_l Posts: 22 Member
    Thanks guys! I really appreciate all the feedback!! :)