Going to Savannah, GA...ideas??

Options
BuckeyeLuvvvva
BuckeyeLuvvvva Posts: 48 Member
Hey MFPers! This is not health and fitness related at all - sorry! I'm going on vacation next week to Savannah, GA (we're staying at Tybee Island) and I'm looking for suggestions of things to do or must-sees while there! Any suggestions would be very welcome, thanks in advance :smile:

Replies

• waverly9876
    waverly9876 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I used to go to college 45 min away. Go to River street!!! It is so pretty there!! Tons of shops and places to walk around. U can even bring your dogs and eat out there. Theres a bar there called Wet Willie and it is so great...but VERY STRONG..There are like 10 different kind of slushy drinks with LOTS of alcohol. I could have one and be drunk back then. Plus u get to drink out whiile walking around.. Sorry to talk about alcohol on a weight loss sight but you have to try it...Now for food, make sure you get some seafood on River Street.
    Have fun!!!!
  • flgirlsteph
    flgirlsteph Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Stay in one of the haunted inn's and go on the ghost tours. Savannah is the most haunted city in america. Thats what i would do :)
  • carpar1
    carpar1 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Lady and Sons, Paula Deens restaurant......not sure you want to go there, lots of butter and such, my memories of Savannah are all about food.....
  • bellinachuchina
    bellinachuchina Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Aw! Used to live in Savannah, on Wilmington Island, about 10min. from Tybee!

I second the visiting of River Street & Wet Willies! There are LOTS of bars, try Jens & Friends for a good martini, Bar Bar, and 309 for some dancing! lol Also there are some beautiful squares to walk through in the historic section off Bay street. Other than the obvious fishing/beach scene on tybee, there are lots of great shops on Broughton Street & restaurants throughout downtown. Check out Forsyth park & City Market as well! City Market has Vinnie Van Go Go's Pizza *AWESOME*, and a gelato shop, along w/ tons of quaint shops, the ultimate tourist spot!
  • niki30
    niki30 Posts: 40
    Options
    Go over to Tybee Island, Its beautiful. We Honeymooned there 10 years ago next January, pelicans, dolphins. Also They have dolphin sightseeing boats, which are awesome, and right off the dock is this amazing seafood place, Best scallops I ever had. They rent jet skis, and have Shark fishing tours too :) umm,,,,there's lots of touristy things to do over there :) Have fun!
  • maryann73
    maryann73 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I took the trolley tour. Got to see the bench from Forrest Gump, the bar from Something to Talk About, the Mercer house from Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil. All very cool. Have fun!
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    I'm moving to Savannah at summer's end so I'm curious to see what ends up in this thread. :)
  • jennro7781
    jennro7781 Posts: 208
    Options
    I LOVE Savannah!!! Definitely go to River Street and Wet Willie's. Parking is tight, but go on a Friday night or Saturday to see all the street vendors and performers. Also Hilton Head Island, SC is about 30-40 minutes away from Tybee Island and is worth a visit. It has awesome beaches, really good restaurants and GORGEOUS houses! It's so touristy, but I would suggest a dolphin cruise or dinner cruise. Are you a AAA member? If you are ask them for a travel book for Savannah area. They will have a ton of ideas in there too! Good luck and have a great time! Savannah was voted "most friendliest city in the USA"! :)
  • bellinachuchina
    bellinachuchina Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I'm moving to Savannah at summer's end so I'm curious to see what ends up in this thread. :)

You'll beat some of the heat then! It's beautiful there, just hot! I'm from NY, so it was something I had to adjust to, but everywhere has A/C lol!! It is an awesome town to work/attend school/party in. If we didn't have children, we probably would have stayed...private school is just out of our budget, and it was either that or home-schooling! Savannah is also a big military town, since HAAF is there, lotsa good looking Army/AF men, tehe! All in all I enjoyed my 5 years there :)
  • mbeltran06
    mbeltran06 Posts: 57
    Options
    I like 15 minutes outside out Savannah....definitely go on a haunted tour....there are walking ones (so you'll still get your exercise) and definitely go to River St. Also I would suggest going to Savannah Smiles....it is a piano lounge but it is AWESOME!!! While you are out at Tybee definitely take a tour of Ft. Polaski. It's beautiful there...it's an old war monument. Oh and get some ice cream from the Sugar Shack!!! Gosh there is so much to do....oh and go on a dolphin tour!!! I could keep going and going...I have been here for almost 6 years....so if you have any question don't hesitate to ask!!
  • waterjogger
    waterjogger Posts: 114
    Options
    Stay away from Lady and Sons (Paula Deen's restaurant) We ate there in the fall and I'm quite certain one scoop of sweet taters and mac and cheese contained enough fat and calories for a lifetime.....but it sure was delicious! Walking along the river was an afternoon well spent! Fort Pulaski was interesting to see and has lots of nature trails to hike. Make sure you pack your walking shoes! Chart House is a high end restaurant that overlooks the river-we really enjoyed watching the shipping freights going past. Hope you have a great time.
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    I took the trolley tour. Got to see the bench from Forrest Gump, the bar from Something to Talk About, the Mercer house from Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil. All very cool. Have fun!

My friend's dad has a house on Tybee so that is one of my favorite places to go since its only 4 hours away and free. If you are on Tybee you need to have the chips and guac from Fannies and my friend says their bloody marys are the best. I agree with the above for seeing Savannah as you can get on and off the trolly an walk around.
  • gibsons
    gibsons Posts: 24
    Options
    You've been given a lot of good advice (walk River Street, enjoy the sights and sounds of City Market - day and night, take a picnic and enjoy Forsyth Part, Ft. Polaski, the misc. tours), but Savannah is a town that likes good food :-)
    So I'll add some of my favorites to the list...Garibaldi's for Italian, Goose Feather's Express Cafe for b'fast or a good sandwich, Spanky's for "World Famous Chicken Fingers and Spuds" (they really are great but not healthy), Olympia Cafe for souvlaki, Vinny Van Go-Go's for a slice and spinach salad, and last but not least, The Shell House (the one that is located on the south-side of town - I-95 & Hwy 204) is a great place for casual seafood (think hole in the middle of the table with a garbage can under). Oh, and if you are on Tybee, you'll probably end up at the Crab Shack (a bit over-rated, but a local tradition), the Breakfast Club, and I can also recommend Gerald's.
  • BuckeyeLuvvvva
    BuckeyeLuvvvva Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Wow! Thank you guys so much for all the responses! It got me so excited to go! I'm in love with the book "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil" so I've already reserved tickets to see the Mercer house. We're also planning on going to Lady & Sons (I'm on vacay! Yum yum!) But my boyfriend loves ghost/haunted stuff, etc. so we'll definitely be taking a ghost tour. I'm going to compile a list with all of your guys' suggestions and print it out - Sugar Shack, Fannies, River Street, Ft. Polaski are among the ones that stuck out but I'm sure we won't get bored! Thanks again!
  • KlassyKassi
    KlassyKassi Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    So many great suggestions! I used to live down there, and reading this thread makes me miss it so much! As they've already said, make sure that you take a ghost tour, and spend some time down on River Street. They often have really good street performers that are a blast to sit and watch. I don't know if you'll be leaving Savannah at all, but if so, Jekyll Island is definitely worth a visit. Have fun!!!