Help Please!

Options
I have been working out consistently for the past month as well as been eating healthy. I haven't seem to have lost any weight and it has become frustrating. I'm not sure if I'm maybe calculating things wrong or something. Today so far I have eaten 1197 calories and have burned off 1055. That gives me a net of 142, excluding eating dinner later on tonight. Should I eat all of those calories back, or should I let my net amount for the day be that low?

I would appreciate any sort of feedback as I am getting quite frustrated that my body is not allowing me to lose weight, yet I am putting in the effort.

Thanks!

Replies

• ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    can yuo open your food diary so we can view?
  • barbiex3
    barbiex3 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    um i would eat them back. you're body is probably in starvation mode.
  • ka_bateman
    ka_bateman Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Are you measuring? Sometimes your workout builds muscle which weighs more then fat....so you're more likely to see results on the tape measure. Just a thought...
  • truchamp06
    truchamp06 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I agree with ChantalGG can you make your food diary public?

Also, I spoke with my personal trainer about that today. If i burned 1000 calories it tells me I can eat those back, and I could, however if I am trying to loose weight I shouldnt eat ALL of those calories back. If you feel hungry eat. Just change what you eat and how you eat it. I was told to do 5-6 meals a day. A typical Brkfst-Lunch-Dinner and two snacks inbetween. I would say that you need to eat a min of 1200 calories a day. Atleast thats what my personal trainer was telling me. If you dont eat atleast 1200 depending on your Age-Height-Weight then it puts your body in starvation mode and it actually does the complete opposite of what you are trying to do.

ALSO, when you work out, what type of workouts are you doing? What is your Heart Rate? If you burn too many calories..by pushing yourself, you are actually harming yourself. Less is more, atleast ive researched and been told that way. You want to stay in your target heart rate of the fatburn-cardio aspect of it. Just food for thought..
  • Nit2Winit11
    Options
    I'm having the same problem :(
  • mlemonroe2
    mlemonroe2 Posts: 603
    Options
    I havn't lost anything for 3 weeks. A nutritionist told me today to try and just eat 1/2 my exercise calories back and see what that does for me. (i ate them all back before) I'm going to try it and see what happens. I know how frustrating it is! Whatever you do, don't give up!
  • lorischlitz
    Options
    Try cutting down on your carb intake. You're most likely gaining muscle. Muscle weighs more than fat. You could be stalled then whoosh you lose 4 pounds in one weigh in .. which happens to me a lot.
  • TAWoody
    TAWoody Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Along with what the other said, weight loss is 90% food intake and 10% exercise. You can exercise all you want but if you're not eating properly you won't lose any weight, you'll just be unhealthy. 1000 calories in a day is a lot of exercise and really is too much unless you have a crazy physical job. When you open your diary we can check things out.
  • powerglove
    powerglove Posts: 10
    Options
    Thank you all for the helpful advice! My diary is now open to see. Most of my activity is from biking since I bike to and from work, as well as at home for lunch. Today I also biked to the gym and went on the treadmill. I try and do cardio 5 days a week and lift weights 3 days a week. I understand that this may seem like a lot but I'm just frustrated that I haven't seen any changes in over a month. Measuring has definitely helped as I have lost inches but its the fat around my midsection which is the problem!
  • karona313
    karona313 Posts: 37
    Options
    My two cents after viewing the diary...what is your average calorie burn they've alloted to you based on your activity? I know the heavier you are, the more calories you burn. My intake goal is less than yours and I'm sure I'm a lot heavier. Are you extremely physical all day long? If you want to lose a pound a week you would need to be burning close to 3000 a day at that intake goal level. Just an idea , sorry if it doesn't help much :(
  • powerglove
    Options
    MFP has calculated that I burn 1920 just from daily activity everyday. My net calorie goal is 1500 so the deficit 420 calories a day or 0.8lbs/week. I have however increased my activity at work (I do landscaping and such and the weather has become nicer) and I exceed my calories burned everyday as I try to either do cardio, weights, or yoga.
  • RangerSteve
    RangerSteve Posts: 437
    Options
    Here is a tip as well:

Don't worry about the scale. In the summer I can gain/lose as much as 8 pounds in one day. Water retention, carbohydrate intake, muscle gain/loss, etc can all have an effect on the scale. Look in the mirror instead. Do you look like you're losing what you want to lose?
  • maemiller
    maemiller Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    doesnt sound like youre eating enough. Ive been there, done that. Have you been eating the amount of calories youre burning? sounds silly but youre body might be in starvation mode.

Would like to see your food diary. Please add me, or if anyone else, add me as a friend
  • powerglove
    Options
    I'm gaining muscle in my arms which I do like, but its the excess weight around my stomach that I really want to see a change with and I'm not. I've stopped caring so much about what the scale says, but i'm still not seeing much results visually or by measuring.