Swimming help!

Does anyone have suggestions to prevent and sooth itchy skin caused by swimming in a chlorinated pool?

Replies

• rbiss
    rbiss Posts: 422 Member
    Wash immediately and moisturize. I use oil after swimming.
  • evahudnell
    evahudnell Posts: 13 Member
    What kind of oil do you use?
  • gentlygently
    gentlygently Posts: 752 Member
    I remember reading about this on MFP and there were lots of helpful suggestions - so mine is to use the search function to delve into the Mfp past threads.....
  • rbiss wrote: »
    Wash immediately and moisturize. I use oil after swimming.

+1
    Wash the chlorine off asap and then moisturize.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Baby oil rubbed into wet skin is the best body moisturising treatment I've ever found
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Just to be clear the advice to wash the chlorine away ASAP is right (unless you can find a sun filtered pool which are just so much nicer)
  • rbiss
    rbiss Posts: 422 Member
    Any oil will work. Baby oil is cheap. I use something Neutrogena sells (I think it's Hazelnut) but I think baby oil works better. It's very important to wash though, it will also lessen the damage to your hair.
  • vvento
    vvento Posts: 28 Member
    My hair stylist back in the day, told me that your hair is like a sponge. presoak in shower and it can't absorb the chlorinated water. Also growing up a competitive swimmer, I would definitely recommend a quick pre-soak before entering and immediately after. if you just swim for fitness you should be fine, but competitively I got used to the smell of chlorine whenever I sweat because of 2 a days or 3 a days. 5-6 days a week.

-GOOD LUCK!
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Shea butter, cocoa butter shea oil, argan oil, almond oil, or apricot oil.
  • JuliaHaz
    JuliaHaz Posts: 1 Member
    For skin I use aveeno body wash and a Lush Buffy bar. That help keep skin softer without too much perfume.
  • mmmpork
    mmmpork Posts: 133 Member
    I swim frequently and I rinse off in the shower right away. For body, I use Lubriderm unscented. For my face, hands, and feet I use Vaseline.
  • SMCLosesIt
    SMCLosesIt Posts: 45 Member
    In the swimmers group there is a thread about this and alot of them suggested vitamin C to wash down in after, it neutralises the chlorine.