Trying to lose weight and Stop Smoking

Options
Hi been using mfp for about a month and have lost a few pounds. Not sure if it is due to my efforts with food and exercise or health reasons. I have been a smoker for almost 50 years and find it really hard to give up. Also addicted to Pepsi and the two kinda go hand in hand. I am 63, or will be this August, and single. If you can relate to any of this, feel free to add me. Oh, and one thing about using mfp is that my carbs were through the roof and so was my sugar. I would not have known that if I hadn't started tracking, so thank you mfp.

Replies

• lisapierce5277
    lisapierce5277 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I can sympathize I still smoke and have made several attempts to quit but haven't. I am new to this too. I have lost 12 pounds in 3 weeks. I eat every three hours, but its small in between meals like cottage cheese with pineapples I eat 1300 calories a.day. And exercise 4 days a week. My gazelle, and my palates machine for strength training. I am 51 years old and thought it would be too hard for me to lose weight st my age but its been easier than my 30 or maybe its the eating every 3 hours never tried that before but it seems to be working for me. You can do this!!! Never give up. Get healthy. Concentrate on cutting calories first and making healthy choices worry bout stop smoking later. Add me as friend if u want.to.
  • MsLindaC2015
    MsLindaC2015 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Thanks Lisa for that encouraging response. 12 pounds in three weeks is a lot! Congratulations! I added you as a friend.
  • allieparkia
    allieparkia Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    My "New Years Resolution" was to quit smoking, so I decided to quit and change my eating habits at the same time. It's been 22 days a
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    OMG! Cigarettes and Pepsi! Sounds just like me. I am 63 and stopped smoking January 26, 2012 after developing blood clots in my heart and leg. I was in intensive care and right then decided to change my life if I lived. I kept half a pack of cigs in my pantry so I wouldn't panic but never touched them and eventually got rid of them I had to stop all alcohol too because I can't drink without smoking. I don't miss either one. I did gain a little but MFP helped me keep it under control. Good luck!/ Cindy
  • MsLindaC2015
    MsLindaC2015 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    IWTBFCIN3 wrote: »
    OMG! Cigarettes and Pepsi! Sounds just like me. I am 63 and stopped smoking January 26, 2012 after developing blood clots in my heart and leg. I was in intensive care and right then decided to change my life if I lived. I kept half a pack of cigs in my pantry so I wouldn't panic but never touched them and eventually got rid of them I had to stop all alcohol too because I can't drink without smoking. I don't miss either one. I did gain a little but MFP helped me keep it under control. Good luck!/ Cindy

Thanks so much for sharing your experience. Everyone says get rid of everything but I do panic if I don't have immediate access, so I do keep some around. I have tried getting rid of everything over and over but just end up getting them again. I'm sorry about the health crisis you went through. That must have been devastating, but thank God you came through it. I am 62 and worry about developing problems like that. I also worry about developing diabetes, since with being a Pepsi addict, my sugar intake has been way too high for way too long (years) and the thought of giving myself injections scares me. I just HAVE to get on top of these things! Thanks again for sharing.