Breaking the weight loss- weight gain cycle

Options
Hello Everyone,

I would like to get some advice on how to transition from dieting to healthy eating without the weight gain.
In the last 18 months I have lost a total of 57lbs. That would have exceeded my original goal, but this weight loss wasn't continous. I have had 6 periods of losing on average of 7-8 lbs and one period of losing 18lbs.

After each period of weight loss, I gain most of the weight back within a month. I am still roughly 20lbs down then I was at the start, but I feel like all this time I have waisted gaining the weight back and not sticking to the diet but unable to eat normally otherwise and I feel bad for not achieving my goal yet. I feel like im stuck in an unhealthy cycle.

Btw, during the times that I am 'being good' I eat roughly 1400cals/ day 100g protein and work out 4-5/ week mostly weight and resistance training and light cardio and am currently 175lbs. I also allow myself for a monthly cheat meal and small amount of sweets daily.

What can I do to stop being discouraged at various points in my journey and when i do manage to hit my goal, to not gain everything back within 6 months?

Replies

• Expatmommy79
    Expatmommy79 Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    Stop thinking of this as going from point a to point b. It doesn't end when you reach your goal. That's where the harder work begins.

As cliche as it sounds, and I hate the term, but this is a lifestyle change.

The reason many of us yo yo is because of a sense of deprivation and working out too hard too fast and burning out.

Make small reasonable and sustainable changes. Look at the long game.
  • Roaringgael
    Roaringgael Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I'm basically maintaining now. I am eating enough to feel that I can keep doing what I am doing. I exercise 4-5 times a week. (between 1400-1700 cals)
    I could probably lose a bit more (I have lost 43kgs- 94lbs). My BMI is still considered overweight, but I think there might be a few more kilos I could lose to be ideal weight. Not too fussed.
    I am 57 years old, so as an older woman my calorie needs are lower than younger people.
    I am reluctant to eat less as I feel that will make me bust out and lose the plot.
    I am eating what might be considered slightly under maintenance but I am a bit flexible, sometimes I eat a bit more - say going out to dinner.
    Over Christmas I ate a bit extra on the day.

I have worked very hard on my attitude. This is the key, I accept that I need to eat well and exercise. I exercise more than might be considered necessary, but I like the amount I do.
    The bottom line is I am liking what I do, I don't listen to that negative voice in my head that wants me to fail, I exercise regardless of how I "feel" this creates new thought behaviours which get stronger over time.
    It's your thinking that will make or break you.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Maybe consider instead of seeing dieting and then weight maintenance as two separate things just make one change?

Set your calorie limit to match your maintenance level for your goal weight (not your current weight). Eat the foods and portion sizes you will eat for life now.

This will give you a slowly reducing calorie deficit as you drop weight with the last few pounds being really slow and no actual transition from once phase to the next.

Lou Schuler & Alan Aragon wrote a book that uses this technique, it's an interesting read (The Lean Muscle Diet).
  • totaldetermination
    totaldetermination Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    Perhaps your body is actually hungry, and this is what is causing you to fall of the wagon ?
    Are you getting enough fat in your diet ?
    Would it help to slow your weight loss down or change your macros to feed your body better?