Keeping it Quiet

captconjunction
captconjunction Posts: 1
edited September 28 in Introduce Yourself
Hi All,

I'm new to this site, and I like it better than the other sites I've seen, Weight Watchers included. But my issue has nothing to do with any site. My main issue is - and this might sound weird - when I'm trying to lose weight, I don't want anyone to know about it. Like, it has to be MY thing for it to work, and it's not MY thing if everyone is asking me about it and making comments and all that, you know? Sometimes people get a little carried away with encouragement and it's kind of uncomfortable for me. I was wondering if anyone had any tips about how to keep my plan and my progress under wraps so the people in my life will just leave me alone and let me do this on my own.

Replies

• lucasgirl
    lucasgirl Posts: 10 Member
    If its actual people in your life, that also use this site; just don't add them. That is what I had to do. I had a few that were ruining it for me. I deleted everyone and am starting over on who I want on my friends list. Good luck with however you work! It does get a little lonely being all alone on your site. So a few select people may be nice for you.
  • ejmcam
    ejmcam Posts: 533 Member
    I understand! Everyone has an opinion or a suggestion....and when these people are a part of your every day life...well, it can be annoying! Thats why this site is so great! I would just be vague if anyone asks you...just tell them you are trying to live a healthier lifestyle. Without knowing details about you though (ie how much weight ou have to lose, etc...)I can just say that once you start to lose a noticeable amount of weight, it will be hard for people not to notice and comment. But at that point, people noticing that will probably be a good thing and make you feel good about yourself. I know that I feel good now when people tell me that I look good and they can tell I've lost weight.
  • AdrienneinTO
    AdrienneinTO Posts: 111 Member
    I often feel the same. If everyone knows about it, it's too much pressure. My solution is to simply not tell people. If anyone notices you choosing low-calorie food or exercising, down-play it. Just say the food is healthier, you feel better eating it. Or exercise helps you burn off stress. Now, they may start noticing that you are losing weight. Just smile if they say anything, say thanks for noticing, and change the topic.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    The only people who know I'm trying to lose weight are my husband and the people I talk to on MFP! My friends don't know, my co-workers are clueless... even my parents are in the dark.

I don't want people to make a fuss or ask me loads of questions. LOL
  • SweetTooth68
    SweetTooth68 Posts: 169 Member
    No one noticed a thing or said a single word to me until I had lost 40lbs....and even then, to date only 3 poeple have said anything at all. You may be surprised how little people notice if you don't tell them!
  • alienblonde1
    alienblonde1 Posts: 749 Member
    It's easy just don't tell anyone. I have told very few what I am doing. I would like to hear good things from my friends/family but I want them to say it and notice on their own.
  • Sheri869
    Sheri869 Posts: 1,195 Member
    I absolutely agree with how you feel! I'm new to this website too and I love it for that reason. I find support from people I don't see everyday and hope to get to know for support. The people I see everyday, with their questions or their own habits can easily sabotage what you are trying to do. And, of my friends, they are already thin or they don't want to see you get thinner so they come up with ideas (probably unconsciously) to do things that will make me trip up.

So, as you do, I try and keep a new effort like this on the DL. And I'd rather be accountable to myself then feel the pressure of being accountable to everyone else that is in my life. My one exception is my son! He Is The Greatest Motivator for me! He does the whole "Biggest Loser" push at me in the gym. Embarrassing but it does the job! He pushes me to work out and he's getting a healthy workout in the process.

Other than that, I keep my weight loss efforts to myself.

I will say, I welcome Anyone on this site to friend me because, as I try and keep my efforts quiet with my friends at home - I NEED support and am truly hoping to get it here! And have people I can talk to on good and bad days and hopefully help others on their bad days!

Keep up the great work! We will all get to our goal with effort and dedication! And I believe we all need help from people that are in the same boat!
This discussion has been closed.