Is this accurate?

Options
I just (re)started with MFP four days ago. At the time I guesstimated my weight at 250, but weighed myself a day or two later and realized I was actually a little lower (243.5).

My starting goal, losing 1lb a week at sedentary level, was 17?? (Can't remember exactly). When I entered the corrected weight, it dropped to 1730.

However, when I logged in today, it told me my goal was 2270. That's kind of a huge jump. Is there a way to figure out which goal is the right one to follow?

Replies

• Talan79
    Talan79 Posts: 782 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Did you choose maintain weight once logging today? Double check that. A few pounds shouldn't make that big of a difference.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Did you exercise? Because your goal will increase with exercise.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Another thing to ask is if you have any activity or step trackers connected to your profile.
  • kaellyn
    kaellyn Posts: 9 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    The MFP app counts my steps. I don't have any other trackers. I haven't logged any exercise today other than the steps the app logs automatically.

It went down a small amount (maybe 40 calories?) after I lowered my weight. It's just when I logged in today, the goal weight was way up. I'm just trying to figure out which goal is accurate. If I weigh 243.5, sedentary, want to lose 1lb a week, should my goal be around 1700-ish or 2200-ish?
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    kaellyn wrote: »
    The MFP app counts my steps. I don't have any other trackers. I haven't logged any exercise today other than the steps the app logs automatically.

It went down a small amount (maybe 40 calories?) after I lowered my weight. It's just when I logged in today, the goal weight was way up. I'm just trying to figure out which goal is accurate. If I weigh 243.5, sedentary, want to lose 1lb a week, should my goal be around 1700-ish or 2200-ish?

If you are 5'4", your BMR is 1757 and TDEE is 2108 for sedentary, so it has to be the 1700-ish one. To lose 1.1lb per week (TDEE-25%), eat 1581 at sedentary with no exercise. That's at 5'4", remember :) . I just used an average height, lol.

Here's where I got that:
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/

Scooby's uses TDEE, where exercise is included when it asks about your activity. But you can still use sedentary and log exercise as separate calories each day, too, with that info. I don't know how steps work with that, but I know others do :grin:

• chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    My MFP changed my goal today too, I had to manually reset it back (grumble grumble).
  • Binzee1964
    Binzee1964 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    It's accurate if you use cafe's BMR process. I use that and AMR which works on my usual routine activity (work and normal life) and treat my exercise as either additional treats or additional weight loss.

If you stay between BMR and AMR you will lose weight. The closer you are to the lower measurement the faster weight loss will occur, the closer you are to the higher then slower but more easily maintained weight loss will occur.

There are many web sites that will give you the ablity to calculate these figures for yourself.
  • kaellyn
    kaellyn Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your help, everyone. I think it was a glitch in the matrix. When I changed activity level to highly active and back to sedentary, it went back to 1730 calories. *sigh* those extra calories were looking so good :-)
  • sabulaboys4
    sabulaboys4 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    That happened to me also. I was playing with my settings one day but put everything back to where it was because I was curious what would change. The next day everything was different. This happened 2 days in a row. I had to put the same settings in more than once to get them to be the same the next day