I feel like giving up /:

Options
I've been at the same weight for a month now. What can I do to lose weight again ?

Replies

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    If you aren't losing weight you're not in a deficit.

Are you logging everyday? Are you weighing your food portions? When was the last time you updated your calorie requirements to reflect your new weight?
  • JamalIgle
    JamalIgle Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Cutting calories by 3-500 per day and increasing your cardiovascular activity are the only way to lose weight.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Are you in a deficit? Do you use a food scale to weigh everything solid?
  • fitness42016
    fitness42016 Posts: 11 Member
    Options

Ninkyou wrote: »

Are you logging everyday? Are you weighing your food portions? When was the last time you updated your calorie requirements to reflect your new weight?

Yes , I only eat about 1200 calories a day. So I would have to eat less then ?
  • JGARRABRANT
    JGARRABRANT Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    If you're exercising, try changing things up. Maybe something new your body isn't used to.
  • JGARRABRANT
    JGARRABRANT Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hang in there!!!!
  • petersonma
    petersonma Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Op, going less than 1200/day probably isn't the answer. Trusting that your food logs are accurate, you may just need a change to routine. Don't give up, now is when you build the discipline for life long habits. You can do this!
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    I have had entire months of no loss followed by a significant drop. Take a close look at your logging and be sure you are using the scale and weighing everything. If you are absolutely sure you are being accurate, just keep at it and be patient. Also take measurements. I usually see those numbers changing when the scale isn't.

Weight loss is weird sometimes. Definitely not linear. Persistence and patience will pay off.
  • wildfire1204
    wildfire1204 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Don't quit. I'm assuming that even if you aren't losing, more than likely you are still practicing better habits than you had before.

I'm also assuming that if you are here, it's because you want to change something about yourself. If you quit now and go back, how will you feel a month from now? Hang in there.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    This is my really general advice for this sort of thing. Maybe something will help you. If you want more specific advice, then opening your diary or sharing more details about your routine would be helpful.

1. If it's been less than 3 weeks or so, don't sweat it! Normal fluctuations happen and unfortunately sometimes we stall for a week or two even when we're doing everything right. Give your body some time to catch up with the changes you're making.

2. If you aren't already, be sure that you're logging everything. Sometimes people forget about things like veggies, drinks, cooking oils, and condiments. For some people these can add up to enough to halt your weight loss progress.

3. Consider buying a food scale if you don't already have one. They're about $10-$20 dollars in the US and easily found at places like Amazon, Target, and Walmart. Measuring cups and spoons are great, but they do come with some degree of inaccuracy. A food scale will be more accurate, and for some people it makes a big difference.

4. Logging accurately also means choosing accurate entries in the database. There are a lot of user-entered entries that are off. Double-check that you're using good entries and/or using the recipe builder instead of someone else's homemade entries.

5. Recalculate your goals if you haven't lately. As you lose weight your body requires fewer calories to run. Be sure you update your goals every ten pounds or so.

6. If you're eating back your exercise calories and you're relying on gym machine readouts or MFP's estimates, it might be best to eat back just 50-75% of those. Certain activities tend to be overestimated. If you're using an HRM or activity tracker, it might be a good idea to look into their accuracy and be sure that yours is calibrated properly.

7. If you're taking any cheat days that go over your calorie limits, it might be best to cut them out for a few weeks and see what happens. Some people go way over their calorie needs without realizing it when they don't track.

8. If you weigh yourself frequently, consider using a program like trendweight to even out the fluctuations. You could be losing weight but just don't see it because of the daily ups and downs.

9. Some people just burn fewer calories than the calculators predict. If you continue to have problems after 4-6 weeks, then it might be worth a trip to the doctor or a registered dietitian who can give you more specific advice.
  • lizwrites1313
    lizwrites1313 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    According to my PT exercise needs to be changed up or it'll become less effective, could that be the problem?
  • chrislaffey
    chrislaffey Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Your body adapts to activities level, I don't know exactly what exercise you are doing but steady state cardio doesn't effect your training too much in terms of recovery and can be upped slowly to about 1 hour per day 6 days a week (we all need a day off) it burns mostly fat although at a slower rate than interval or high intensity cardio work but like I said it's a trade off for recovery.
    I periodic my strength training as normal and slowly increase cardio (10 minutes per session per week until I need to start adding extra days, which are added at baseline 20 mind then they are upped by 10 mind a week until cardiovascular is 1 hour a day 6 days a week) only after that would I change diet. Before I would drop calories I would look at increasing protein intake, but keeping calories the same (higher thermogenesis effect) the calories added to protein intake should be taken from carbs.. Make sure you are getting your healthy fats in too ... I don't know what else to add. Hope it helps a little.
  • chrislaffey
    chrislaffey Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Oh and get your body fat tested.. you could very easily be gaining muscle and losing fat but staying the same weight. Nobody wants to just lode weight you want to change what the weight consists of too. If Ou habe a good pt he might be able to test you(or more to the point should be testing you to track progress )
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    I've been at the same weight for a month now. What can I do to lose weight again ?
    Have you been TOTALLY consistent? If not, that's the main reason. A "cheat" here or there can make a difference.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • carmkizzle
    carmkizzle Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    You haven't provided any details about yourself, but perhaps you aren't eating enough. Age/Height/weight? How long have you been trying to lose weight? Have you lost any weight? How many calories were you consuming prior to your 1200 calorie allotment? Do you have a hard time reaching those 1200 calories or are you often hungry? Do you eat more on workout days?
  • carmkizzle
    carmkizzle Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Oh and get your body fat tested.. you could very easily be gaining muscle and losing fat but staying the same weight. Nobody wants to just lode weight you want to change what the weight consists of too. If Ou habe a good pt he might be able to test you(or more to the point should be testing you to track progress )

I highly doubt that she is gaining muscle as it takes a lot of time to gain muscle, not to mention the fact that she doesn't eat enough to promote muscle growth in the first place.
  • pstegman888
    pstegman888 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Also take body measurements; it's possible your are not losing pounds but are losing inches. Otherwise, make sure your logging is accurate, make sure you are at an appropriate calorie defitcit, and wait a while longer.
  • MaryMoCla
    MaryMoCla Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about it and I think you may need to eat a little more! I am not sure you can get all you nutrients at 1200cals! But just don't fall into the trap of thinking you need to always be losing 1-2lbs a week. Sometimes life gets in the way and like life, your weight can be full of ups and downs! Maybe take a break from thinking of weight load and focus for a week on making really healthy food choices and tracking everything.
  • mmmx392076
    mmmx392076 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Ninkyou wrote: »

Yes , I only eat about 1200 calories a day. So I would have to eat less then ?

That's not true. I was stuck for a month. Didn't lose a pound I gained a pound to tell u the truth. A friend of mine that is a peronal trainer told me a trick. She said to go 2 days and eat normal anything you want. Then go back to dieting but the Dr told me I wasn't eating enough. He told me I should be eating 1350 to 1500 calories a day. I didn't beleave either of them. So after another 2 weeks of not losing anything I broke down and tried it. And long behold in the next weigh in with was a week later I lost 2 pounds. And have been losing for the last 2 weeks. It works. Eat more protein less carbs and stay right around 1350. I know it sounds weird but it works.