How often do you work out?

Options
I'm the type of person who goes all in or not at all. I've been consistently working out everyday and today was so hard. How many days a week do you work out? How do you take your breaks/days off? Do you mix it up with different work out? I wonder if I should do a different work out on my "days off" but then is that really considered a day of rest?

Replies

• Si1ly
    Si1ly Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym 3/4 times a week, varying my workouts from power circuits, Zumba, bodyblitz, yoga etc. I also hula hoop 1/2 a week. I always make sure I have at least one day of rest. I tend to change/mix my workouts about. I have followed the community on here and there tips have really helped me.
  • BunnyBomb
    BunnyBomb Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Everyday at a moderate level, as opposed to 2-3 times per week hardcore.

I have a sedentary day job and arthritis in my feet, so "a little bit often" is what I need to counter both, else the swing from "feck all" to "circus freak" would do me harm lol
  • Talan79
    Talan79 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I lift 5 days a week. I was doing a lot of cardio but now more focused on trying to build so I'm eliminating my 4-one hour cardio sessions.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I lift 4x/wk. On the off days, I try to get 10,000 steps, which means I end up walking on the treadmill for 45+ minutes. My non-exercise lifestyle is very sedentary (accountant, live in a rural area where walking to stores and restaurants isn't feasible, etc.) so getting up to a minimum activity level on non workout days requires that extra effort.
  • Samstan101
    Samstan101 Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym 3-4 mornings a week (lift twice a week and cross train cardio once or twice) and run 5-6 days a week as well (average about 40 miles a week currently) after work/ weekends. I usually have one rest day a week
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    rest/recovery days should be scheduled into your fitness regimen...it's just as important as the work...recovery is when you make your fitness gains.

i workout 5-6 days per week at varying intensities...it's not balls out every single time, that's a recipe for *kitten* yourself up.

Monday - ride AM/lift PM
    Tuesday - ride AM
    Wednesday - ride AM/lift PM
    Thursday - ride AM
    Friday - recovery...yoga...go for a walk, etc
    Saturday - ride to gym, lift with trainer, ride home
    Sunday - open...some days i get in a long ride, other days i just hang with the family and do something fun...sometimes i'm stuck doing yard work, etc.
  • kaylasgriffin88
    kaylasgriffin88 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys for your responses! I really need to figure out my workout schedule. I've just been going to the gym and doing a lot of cardio. I hit the ground running and didn't make a plan for myself. I haven't worked out like this in almost 10 years, I've occasionally went to the gym and walked/hiked. So I feel as if I'm starting all over again and I don't know what to do.
  • Talan79
    Talan79 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    My suggestion would be incorporate lifting. Weight loss with cardio makes you a smaller version of yourself whereas lifting can help change your body composition. Lifting while losing weight will also eliminate losing muscle mass.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I try to run six days a week and do a Nautilus set every other day. There are times life gets in the way and other times my body says "I need a break". No sense getting hurt or going beyond your training level so listen to your body. When I say listen I don't mean talking yourself out of it because staying in bed would be easier. I try to do all my workouts between 4:30 and 6:00 AM during the week so life rarely gets in the way and my wife who is sleeping can't complain that I am too involved with my workouts. It works for me.
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    I ride my bike every morning minimum 30 most days 50 min lift weights 5 days a week
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    5 days a week, 6th day an active outing with the family. Usually a hike or bike ride....or both.
  • jblon83
    jblon83 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym 4x a week. Usually I do one a cardiovascular hour with Zumba and then strength training or calisthenics. I noticed that I'm not sweat like a did b4. I almost reached my target goal weight.
  • carmkizzle
    carmkizzle Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    3-4 times a week. I strength train, use the StairMaster, HIIT on the treadmill, attend a Zumba class and I'm going to try Jacob's Ladder at some point. I like an every-other-day approach to my workouts,
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    every day, in some capacity.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    Four planned workouts. I am currently on PHUL (power hypertrophy upper lower). And then random running, yoga, or whatever on other days as my mood allows.
  • spzjlb
    spzjlb Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I also do at least 30 min structured, intense exercise every single day, with few exceptions. I might do as much as 50 min on the weekend if I've been indulgent with my food, but it's rare that I do more than 40 min. I have a home gym and I find that a little every day is easier for me than planning longer sessions 3-4x weekly. Good luck in finding your rhythm!
  • donutbears
    donutbears Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I aim to work out 5xs a week for an hour each time. I mix it up between cardio and strength training. I find what's best for me is to do 3 days on, 1 day off, 2 days on, 1 day off...and repeat. I like to go all in too but I've learned from the past that I burn out and end up quitting. So I slowly built up from 2 to 3 work outs per week to max 5. I also like to do active recovery so on my rest days I might go to a yoga class or try to get some walking in.
  • rejectuf
    rejectuf Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I do crossfit 5 times a week, on the weekdays. I try to do something active on the weekend (run a 5k, go for a bike ride, attend a yoga class at a studio, etc) just to stay loose.

I also do a short yoga session with a focus on flexibility every morning.
  • mjwarbeck
    mjwarbeck Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Was going every day for the past 2 months...gym was closed on Christmas, Boxing Day and New Year...and missed one day in December and did not go today (didn't sleep a wink...so didn't think it would be smart to go when sooo tired). Boo.
  • ltworide
    ltworide Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Currently I lift 3 days/week using large compound exercises & take Krav Maga classes 3 days/week. I try to do some stretching/rolling, yoga, walks, hikes, runs, etc. as off day activity.