I need Motivational Friends :)

Options
I am having a super hard time staying on track.. I guess because I suck and I like food. So I'm trying to eat healthier, and start exercising alot more. I hate looking in the mirror its depressing. For the longest time I just found myself saying your just gonna be the big girl there is nothing you can do about it.. than I was thinking umm yeah there is stupid! lol. So I have been roller skating, I dislike running and I love roller skating been doing it since I was 12. Starting at 221 hoping to get to 180 and lower by the end of summer. :)

Replies

• bunchesonothing
    bunchesonothing Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    I know you said you don't like running... I'm a runner. I won't try to sell you on it, unless you want me to...LOL Feel free to add me if you'd like. :)
  • MilisaMote
    MilisaMote Posts: 28
    Options
    I must say I have found everyone here at MFP to truely be a blessing ... even for someone my size they are almost always kind and encouaging ... just get out there and talk with others. Open your blog and Diary where others can view it and help you there as well. This is a journey you can do and this is the right place to find that support. Good Luck and God Bless you with this journey and please add me as a friend if you like. YOU CAN DO THIS!! :)
  • standintherain
    Options
    The first step was admitting it and you did! Congrats! Being big can be a let down for self-esteem and self-confidence, but there are a few songs (like "Big Girl You Are Beautiful" by Mika) that can give you a beneficial boost before you try to get into shape...

I guess whatever I do, music is always helpful for me.
  • ldavis8706
    ldavis8706 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    the elipitcal(sp) machine at a gym is amazing. My friend lost 2 inches off her waist doing it every day for 20 min. also i am getting smaller just doing that and of course cutting my food down. drink protein shakes. if you live near a tropical smoothie cafe get a lean machine with splenda it has weight managment supplements. but i reccomenntd the elipitcal.
  • sdrogersusa
    Options
    Ive been in the same boat almost like it said its hopeless. But I started this and have lost weight the first week. It is pretty easy to stick to it I just got to watch eating out. Hope everything goes well for you. Keep you spirits up. :wink:
  • widmar
    widmar Posts: 72
    Options
    I go through the same thing. I hate mirrors right now. I have been eating sooooo much better but feel like I look worse. I am trying to stay motivated also.
  • mialsya
    mialsya Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I go on a walk for an hour every evening. It's great "me" time, relieves stress, and helps burn the calories. I used to be a runner, but at this weight (I'm 272 now with 293 being my highest and 287 being my starting point), the impact kills my knees. I use the treadmill at the gym when it's too hot or raining and I set the incline up and the speed at 3mph. I'm starting to notice inches coming off of my waist and hips. It's awesome when you put on a pair of jeans and they feel like they are going to fall off.
  • anna_lisa
    anna_lisa Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    There was a time I felt like that. but I remeber thinking the same. "I am gonna be a big girl" Then one day I looked in the mirror and thought.... NO I am not. Welcome to MFP. I have found this site to be awesome and really helpful. Everyone on here is awesome.
  • katie_on_a_mission
    Options
    Sending a friend request your way! I suggest making your diary public so your friends can hold you accountable. Cheers!
  • quichebradford
    quichebradford Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I totally understand how you feel. I reached my heaviest weight (200.4) and it was SO embarrassing!! SInce then I've been committed to being a better me. It really does help to have people in your corner who know how you feel and what you're going through. The mirror can be so cruel...but this site is AWESOME! Everyone here has the same goal in mind...getting healthy. You can't help but lose...weight that is. :o) ! I know you can do it...because I'm doing it and I NEVER thought I would see the day!
  • sherrishift
    sherrishift Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I have been where you are, always thinking I'm destined to be the biggest girl in the room for life. But that's not true, none of us are destined to be unhealthy. It's a choice we make.

Everyday is a choice and your health and happiness is worth making the right one. Feel free to add me. I cherish all the encouragement I receive here.
  • djkymba
    djkymba Posts: 174
    Options
    I am doing my best too and I know exactly what you mean. I've tried and failed more often than I want to admit, but I think my fitness pal might be one of the tools that help me stay on track. We can do this~ I'll be one of your cheerleaders!
  • VBtim180
    VBtim180 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    two weeks in and I am doing good. could use even more support from the MFP community to saty on track. Feel free to add me as a friend
  • sheffiej34
    sheffiej34 Posts: 91
    Options
    First of all - YOU DON'T SUCK!!

You are a beautiful individual with an obstacle to overcome. I am just like you. I started off in life with a decent shape without effort. Then I went to college and got busy with homework (sat around a lot). I gained weight. Then I got married, had 2 kids, the next thing I know, I'm in my 4th decade of life weighing 214 pounds. I hated shopping for clothes, looking in my closet each morning before work was a dreaded chore, and I hated the mirror. I never liked what I saw.

A friend recently introduced me to a program that so far has worked for me. With dietary changes and increased activity - I've lost 15 pounds in 2-3 weeks. I'm flooded w/ compliments at work which encourages me more. I never craved sweets, but I love my fried chicken, fried steak fingers, fried anything. My diet initially was protein only for 3 days (no fried foods), then increase slowly by adding veggies. No fruit until week 3. Kinda like a cross between the Atkin's and the South Beach diet.

I find I don't crave those things anymore. Not sure if it's because my body was "cleansed" during the initial week or whether I just reached the point in my life where enough was enough - now is the time for change. Listen to Natasha Beddingfield's song "Freckles". ... Never waste a minute loving who you are ...

We all have our hangups and things we are afraid to give up. If you continue what you are doing (making healthier choices with food and exercising) you might find you enjoy the healthier alternatives to what you crave. You will reach your goal! Just remember one day at a time. Try to eat 5 small meals vs 3 main meals. Limit your carbohydrate intake to whole grains or carb smart choices. If you burn more than you consume you lose the weight. Don't weigh your self more than every 1-2 weeks. Use this website to log your meals and exercises. It's amazing how seeing your caloric intake and exercise habits in print can affect your choices you make!

NEVER beat yourself up when you "slip up." This is a lifestyle change - a journey if you will. Twists and turns are part of the program. Just get back on track and continue down the right path. Like quitting smoking, going cold turkey is the most effective way to quit (you do it so many times you eventually quit). The longer you stay with your program, the less turns you'll run into.

I agree with MillsaMote - the people here at MFP are just like you and I. They are supportive, helpful and have their own pitfalls. We are here for each other. I am here for you anytime! Drop a line if you need a extra boost - I won't be so wordy next time! I've degraded myself enough over weight - don't want to see anyone else doing the same.

You are a Beautiful individual. Always know that!
  • cpauscher
    cpauscher Posts: 41
    Options
    Awww Crissy, I hate to hear someone say that they suck. You are a beautiful woman. I am finally beginning to look in a mirror and not look away. it's hard when you don't like what you look like. Society is so into skinny people and that's not who most of us are. Keep working toward your goal and pretty soon you're going to like yourself again. Give yourself small rewards for each goal you meet (just not food :laugh: ). Even if it's the loss of a pound, it's still on the positive side of your success. If you would like to add me as your friend, feel free to do that. I look forward to getting to know you.
    Cathy P