How much do you gain on your period?

Options

Replies

• Danimri84
    Danimri84 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Maybe a few ounces, sometimes none at all.
  • JoJean12
    JoJean12 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Don't bother weighing yourself during your period.You will drive yourself crazy
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    I'm on birth control so I don't ovulate but I always gain 3-5lbs during my period. I've actually been running two packs back to back with permission to skip every other period.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    At least 5 pounds, but I have massive water retention because I get so hungry before my period that I probably eat 6000 calories over maintenance that week... then I (usually) lose them before I ovulate again.

Of course I haven't really lost any weight in months because of that.
  • cessi0909
    cessi0909 Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I gain anywhere from 5-7 about three days before, once I start it goes away
  • saires_au
    saires_au Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    1-2kg 5 or so days before And it goes away around 3-4 days once I start
  • pineygirl
    pineygirl Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Only about 1lb....ovulation is worse for me. I gain about 2 to 3 lbs about 5 days before and lose it 2 or 3 days after. So for at least a week I see no progress in weight loss...then have a whoosh of a 3 to 4 lb loss a couple days after ovulation.

I might get a whoosh toward the end of my period too...but it's smaller...like 2lbs.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,884 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Usually about 0.5 kg (approx. 1 lb).

Sometimes none at all ... I rarely feel extra hungry before my periods now that I've lost weight. When I get down under about 140 lbs, my premenstrual systems are greatly reduced to the point that periods kind of sneak up on me.

I haven't noticed any particular changes around ovulation, but I might try to track it and see.
  • vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    elaineamj wrote: »
    I've started using trendweight (based on recommendations here) in the hopes of not letting myself panic too much during ups and downs. I read the book it was based on (The Hacker's Diet) and these charts were an eye-opener:

al4n8glxvxce.jpg

y7wqr9ocxcwe.jpg

I died at "teeth of terror" :lol:

OP, as others have stated, it's normal to fluctuations. You're going to see more not sticking to a set time to weigh yourself though, although I'm guessing you were just trying out the new scale.

Try a trend graph instead from someplace like Trendweight.com, it helps put fluctuations into perspective.

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,906 Member
    Options
    My period started today. Normally I gain about three pounds, which all comes off plus a little more exactly a week after my period begins. This month, however, I only gained a pound. I have been drinking more water recently.

Also, normally my appetite spikes up for a few days before my period starts, and I eat at maintenance for a few days. This month, however, that didn't happen. I've been eating a lot more fiber the past five weeks.
  • samchez0
    samchez0 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    3 to 5 lbs of pure bloat. I tend to crave salty items which just increases the bloat of course.
  • BunnyBomb
    BunnyBomb Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Like others have said, I just don't weigh myself during my period. It's not worth it.

If I were you I would ignore the weight you just recorded. Delete it from you log and forget it completely. It's not reliable and you'll drive yourself batty trying to work out how much if it is real. Weigh yourself when it's all over.
  • Heartisalonelyhunter
    Options
    My lowest weight is the day before my period starts then it creeps up until I ovulate
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    elaineamj wrote: »
    I've started using trendweight (based on recommendations here) in the hopes of not letting myself panic too much during ups and downs. I read the book it was based on (The Hacker's Diet) and these charts were an eye-opener:

al4n8glxvxce.jpg

y7wqr9ocxcwe.jpg

Yeah this is pretty awesome.
  • 3AAnn3
    3AAnn3 Posts: 3,055 Member
    Options
    3-5 lbs starting 2-3 days before start, slowly decreasing and gone on last day of period
  • determined24girl
    determined24girl Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I weigh everyday and haven't noticed a gain during mine.
  • Alycone962
    Alycone962 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    @snyp223 read this forum. A lot of people
    Say they gain up to 5 pounds the week of their period.
  • 123Allyxox
    123Allyxox Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    4-7 pounds for about 2 days.
  • amdavies
    amdavies Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I can go up by 3-5lbs and feel very bloated. If I eat two bananas a day for the 3 days before I start I tend to find I don't put on at all. The high potassium in bananas helps to relieve fluid retention.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    synacious wrote: »
    I actually am close to my lowest weight when my period starts; it's ovulation that makes me hold the most water. I can see an increase of up to three pounds during that time.

I'm the same. Ovulation has a much bigger impact on me than my period - water weight, cramps, soreness, hormonal changes.

It's hard to say how much because I lift regularly and I am always up around 3 or so pounds the day after.