macronutrients

Options
I need help on what to set my macronutrients at for weight loss

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Calories are much more important to losing weight than macronutrients. You just need enough fat and protein to meet your body's needs to maintain health. Many people start with the MFP defaults and adjust from there.
  • laylahandparker
    laylahandparker Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Ya I just feel like its asking for alot of carbs... but im not sure..
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    Ya I just feel like its asking for alot of carbs... but im not sure..

Do you have a medical reason to limit carbohydrates?

If so, follow the guidance from your doctor.

If not, and you just want to eat fewer carbohydrates, then adjust it to your preference. There is no reason why you have to limit carbohydrates to lose weight. But there is no reason to eat them if you prefer not to do so. Just replace them with fat and protein.
  • laylahandparker
    Options
    No...ive just heard that carbs cause weight gain....
  • laylahandparker
    Options
    Im a vegetable and meat person... but I love sweet potatoes. ..which is a vegetable but its high in carbs
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    No...ive just heard that carbs cause weight gain....

They don't. Consuming more calories than you burn causes weight gain.

If you like sweet potatoes, have sweet potatoes. Just log the calories.
  • mstuck08
    mstuck08 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Macros are very important
  • Anya_000
    Anya_000 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    As others have said, weight loss is about calories. However, I started weight lifting, and was starving at my 1450 calories. So, I bumped my protein up 5%, and a few weeks later 10%. Now I'm protein 30, fat 30, carbs 40, and I feel better. I don't feel hungry and deprived. For me, increasing my protein a little, helps keep me from overeating.
  • bigsicklittlesick
    bigsicklittlesick Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I have mine set to 30% carbs 30% protein and 40% fat. I like lower carb because the less bread, pasta, and sweets I eat, the less I crave it. 30% protein for me right now is right around 1g per pound of lean body mass, which is what is recommended quite a bit. I fill the rest in with fat. I've been eating like this for awhile and I've found that this is the easiest for me to stick to.