Quick Question Regarding TDEE

Options
I'm a dude - 5'9" 238 lbs 30 y/o.

My question regarding TDEE. I do some form of workout daily, whether it be Cardio (Stationary Bike, Elliptical and eventually running again once I drop some weight) or lifting (the lifting days I have been generally doing both, cardio in the morning followed by going home to lift or lifting after work depending on my work schedule). I lift 3 times a week with a basic 5x5 program.

So when the TDEE calculators ask for activity level I'm not sure what to select. Yes, I'm working out 7 days a week, but I wouldn't call it very strenuous. I average around 3.5 hours a week of cardio + whatever the lifting is. I usually take it easy on the cardio as to not burn myself out for when I'm going to lift (average around 12-14 mph on the bike and around 6-8 mph on the elliptical).

I know the right answer would be just to monitor the weight loss over a two or three week sample but since I'm just starting out I know the numbers wouldn't exactly be 100% indicative of what's going on too much.

TDEE Calculators are estimating 3200-3800 calories burned per day, is that right? even remotely? I've been eating around 1800-2000 and if the TDEE numbers are remotely true I'm eating way too little.

Just looking for input from guys who are of similar build/weight to see what it's like for them.

Replies

• Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    I know you're looking for feedback from guys, but you and I seem to have similar physical activity levels. I'm a 5'3.5", 114 pound woman and I still see weight loss at 1800 calories. You may not feel any effects now because you've just started, but I think you'll realize that you can definitely afford to increase your calories. I used to do 1200 and thought it was easy, then after a few months I got really lethargic and had to increase my calories.
  • switch313
    switch313 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Appreciate the responses. I'll definitely monitor it - the lethargy is what I want to avoid, because what good is working out in a dedicated manner if I lay or sit around the rest of the day negating the workout.