Scale reading varies depending on where I am in my room?

Hey guys. So, my usual weight had been around 200-220lbs in the past with a goal of 170lbs, but I put on ~20 lbs over the past few months. My last weigh in (on Tuesday) came in at around 240 lbs. I've been eating a net of about 1600 calories from Tuesday on, and I'm in college so I burn several hundred calories just walking to class. Today I woke up and felt like weighing myself (curiosity was killing me) and apparently my weight changes depending on where I'm standing in my dorm, according to my scale at least. That being said, do I take the lowest measurement of 234 (and apparently I lost 6 pounds in less than a week) or one that seems more reasonable at 238 (-2 lbs)? My thoughts were to take the lower one because I wouldn't think you could weigh less than you actually do, but bodily functions can make you "weigh" more...
Help?

Replies

• Kitty_Nikki
    Kitty_Nikki Posts: 44 Member
    Do you have your scale on carpet? You will never get an accurate reading if so. You have to make sure the scale is on a hard flat surface.
  • thrashscara
    thrashscara Posts: 72 Member
    Set your scales up on a hard floor, such as in a bathroom, and don't move it! The same rules apply with weighing yourself around the same time of day each week/month, and wearing same clothes/or naked!

My scales say I can lose up to 6lbs by moving it from one end of the bathroom to another! A better way to track your results it to measure :)
  • GillianSmith2
    GillianSmith2 Posts: 387 Member
    ^^^ this^^

and also dont keep moving the scale, Find a spot and stick to it, that way any weight loss from that point on will be as accurate as you can get
  • thrashscara
    thrashscara Posts: 72 Member
    and NEVER use them on a carpet, if I do, I hit my goal weight! (I've got 3+stone to lose!) ha!
  • janicelo1971
    janicelo1971 Posts: 823 Member
    if you dont like the numbers it gives you, kick it, pick it up, move to another location and try again until you get the numbers you like:) (seriously though check to see if the scale has little feet or get on and off a a few times in a row in the same location until it sets itself. we have 2 scales and after we clean (which involves moving them) we notice a weight change also until it settles back in,.,we have the digital weight watchers and other no name brand one...
  • kayleegean
    kayleegean Posts: 6 Member
    Thanks! I also have a digital weight watchers one. I assumed the carpet would be okay because it's really just glorified hard flooring (pretty much zero cushion or fluff at all). I also was not wanting to have to pick it up to move it to the bathroom and back every week, and by the sounds of it, all that moving might cause some problems. I've been doing the same time of day/same outfit etc thing any time I weigh myself so at least I got that bit down.
    Definitely need to start taking body measurements besides weight I guess :)