Recommendations on whey protein?

I am thinking of going on whey protein! Any recommendations or advice?

Replies

• thrashscara
    thrashscara Posts: 72 Member
    edited January 2016
    Don't buy a 2kg tub of whey unless you have already tried it, I've got loads hanging around just because I can't stand the taste! I use ProteinWorks Vanilla, lovely! :)

Also beware of having TOO MUCH protein, happened to me, started hitting 150-170g a day, needless to say my guts were not too happy about it!
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited January 2016
    Pass by your local target or walmart. They often have the best prices. And if you don't like it, you simply return it (100% guaranteed). Consider trying a protein bar first.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Tried dozens over the years. Threw out many myself. Finally found NOW Sports Natural Unflavored Whey Isolate. I add a few blueberries and a little Stevia - perfect! :)
  • rejectuf
    rejectuf Posts: 487 Member
    Pass by your local target or walmart. They often have the best prices. And if you don't like it, you simply return it (100% guaranteed). Consider trying a protein bar first.

If you go this route, don't buy body fortress. Super gross. Also be aware that many cheap brands of whey protein got busted padding their nutritional profile quite a bit.

Optimum Nutrition can be a little expensive but flavors are generally good and the quality is great.
  • alittlelife14
    alittlelife14 Posts: 339 Member
    Six star designer whey for women is the bomb. French vanilla or chocolate and it's low carb and sugar and they have 70 cal per scoop 16g protein.
  • Marilyn0924
    Marilyn0924 Posts: 797 Member
    Depending on where you live, some nutrition outlets will have a shake bar so that you can try various powders before you buy them.
  • Thank you all so much I will do that!
  • Trump2016
    Trump2016 Posts: 80 Member
    edited January 2016
    Start here, OP: https://labdoor.com/rankings/protein

I personally use both Optimum Nutrition and Quest.

You're unlikely to find quality whey at Walmart.
    sarsather wrote: »
    Six star designer whey for women is the bomb. French vanilla or chocolate and it's low carb and sugar and they have 70 cal per scoop 16g protein.

Low quality.

https://supplementreviews.com/categories/protein/whey-protein
    Ranks #65
    https://supplementreviews.com/six-star/professional-strength-whey-protein
    Brand is ranked #360 of 379 (better than 5%)

Might not be the exact product but the brand is horrible in terms of quality. They use horrible ingredients too:

71UAy6VpDpL._SX522_.jpg

If it works for you/you're doubling it as a sort of snack, nothing against it. But I'm just redirecting her to products that are fundamentally quality supplements first.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Optimum Nutrition is top notch quality and delicious to boot.
    They have several delicious flavors.

You can find them on bodybuilding.com or on Amazon.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,343 Member
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    Optimum Nutrition is top notch quality and delicious to boot.
    They have several delicious flavors.

You can find them on bodybuilding.com or on Amazon.

Optimum Nutrition is a great choice. I'm also a big fan of Trutein - I like the whey/casein/egg mix, and they also have some delicious flavors.
  • kdogni
    kdogni Posts: 124 Member
    Protein works are good
  • andyluvv
    andyluvv Posts: 281 Member
    Don't buy a 2kg tub of whey unless you have already tried it, I've got loads hanging around just because I can't stand the taste! I use ProteinWorks Vanilla, lovely! :)

Also beware of having TOO MUCH protein, happened to me, started hitting 150-170g a day, needless to say my guts were not too happy about it!

If you've got loads laying around I wouldn't mind buying some of it from you! :disappointed:
    If you can inbox me flavours and stuff! Are you in the UK?

And to the Op: I buy most of mine from MyProtein when it's on sale. I've tried loads of different ones and spent too much money on it so now I kinda stick it to the basics (MyProtein is kinda market value for me lol)
  • AsrarHussain
    AsrarHussain Posts: 1,424 Member
    I buy mines from my protein they are cheap plus taste nice
  • thrashscara
    thrashscara Posts: 72 Member
    I find that MyProtein advertises more protein than it actually has, I find it better to pay slightly more for a better value product, I had chocolate peanut, cookies and cream and plain chocolate and they all tasted salty, and 2 of them would go really slushy, even with putting in 40g protein to 350ml water!! Luckily the lads at work aint picky so I just dish them out to them!

Some flavours are hit an miss, but I will say that protein works is the best value I've found and tastes great, Reflex is really good and tasty (but pricy!) I will be moving over to Genetics once I get some cash!
  • tams311
    tams311 Posts: 15 Member
    I'm a bit lost and confused too. I tend to lean toward whey from walmart because its inexpensive but my biz partner said I should be buying our organic soy protein. Not sure (even though I'm a rep) if soy is ok for women. I get so many conflicting reports.