So fed up

Options
I so badly want to feel good about myself! I've lost 4 stone and I'm slowly loosing it but my skin is all saggy and revolving and i feel hideous! I have a young baby so getting to a gym is next to impossible and i can't afford a gym membership or personal trainer but I have NO motivation. I joined a moms fitness group but after missing a session due to my baby being ill I'm struggling to want to go back again. I suffer really badly with depression so exercise is extra good for me and it gets me out the house as well. Just wish I could be more motivated in this. I WANT to be slimmer and healthier but when i see all the loose skin i just loose all hope and want to give up *sighs* i even found exercises to do in my living room but just haven't got round to doing them. I don't want to do it on my own if that makes sense? I NEED someone to have a laugh with and make it fun and i want to teach my son to be healthy and active when he's older so I need to learn to do it myself so he can learn by example. Our diet is incredibly healthy (albeit VERY restricted due to health issues and we're under a consultant and dietician) so that's not an issue it's just the exercise

Replies

• sndrd49
    sndrd49 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    You have a young baby! Give yourself a break. That takes a ton of energy on very little sleep. It takes 2 years for your body to fully recover from pregnancy and delivery. It makes me sad to Hear you say "Hideous" and "revolting" when talking about yourself. Please consider talking to your doctor, if You haven't already, about your depression. Do that for you and your son. Take care, be kind to yourself.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    You need to find motivation from within, you can't always depend on others to help you.

You can do this!!
  • crystalbluewolf13
    crystalbluewolf13 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    sndrd49 wrote: »
    Please consider talking to your doctor, if You haven't already, about your depression.

I already have and I'm seeing a counsellor to try and help with it but it's a slow process

queenliz99 wrote: »
    You need to find motivation from within

Easier said than done when you have very little self confidence and very little self esteem. Having a shower and eating are a chore right now. I'm using all my motivation making sure my son is happy and healthy which as he's a poorly baby is EXHAUSTING!
  • deanaferrari
    deanaferrari Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I understand completely about the motivation to be motivated -- and it irritates me at first to push myself to go out (I just want to stay at home) but being alone in my head can lead to self-denigration and depression (big time -- I struggle with this frequently). I need to restart my own "step out" again. I did it a long time ago as was able to discontinue my depression meds, etc. I journaled alot but found that it too left me going around in circles. The only thing to do (the hardest thing to do) is to go back to the mom's fitness group you found. As you build the routine, you'll find you feel better, you may even make some connections who will eventually become support as you go through trials with raising your son. I think you know what you have to do (you already stated it) but to get motivated to do it? -- Try remembering how good you feel when it's over. Also - Get the grumping and grunting and packing up (because when you go out when you have a child, it's more than just you picking up your purse and going) started and follow through until you're out the door. Once you've done that, it just keeps going. Good luck, K?
  • Jennifer352012
    Jennifer352012 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I can understand the struggles of combinding parenthood and exercise in a day. For me I did it in very little steps to not overwhelm myself. If you can't leave the house and you have stairs. Try and walk up the stairs for 20mins a day. If you start with 10mins that's good to. Little by little increase your stairs or what ever exercise you would like to do. Here's one I see Mom's with young children out kinda speed walking with the babies in a stroller on a good day. Also as you lose, find an exercises that will tone as you lose. That will help with some of the lose skin. (This is just my personal experience, i have found that has worked for me.) Once you find the routine that fits you. You will get there. It will help with your depressing as you know. Just take one day at a time and it will happen.
  • RosemaryBronte
    RosemaryBronte Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    The best time to start exercise is when you don't feel motivated. Then you don't make the usual mistake of doing too much and getting sore and discouraged. Think of the exercise you might be able to face today, halve it, do that and then record it in a diary with a sticker next to it. Next day you'll think That was easy, and you'll do slightly more. Gradually your diary will become full of stickers and you will see yourself differently. When you go back to that mum's fitness group, I bet the others will be pleased to see you and to share their stories of how hard it is to be a fit mum.
  • soniamemms
    soniamemms Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    For now, do a calorie count here on my fitness pal. For example, I'm 5'3" and my calorie goal is 1400 per day. Log all your food here. If you stay under 1400, let's say, you WILL Lose weight. It's a science. Even without exercise. Of course exercise is the best way to do it. But maybe if you lost weight through your calorie intake, then you would have more energy and will gain the confidence to make it happen. I suffer from depression, and when I was a young mom, I was in the same boat. I'm 41 now, and I wish I hadn't waited so long to get serious. You can do it. Look up what your calorie goal for weight loss should be. There are a lot of calculators on the Internet. You enter your current weight, age and height and it will tell you how many calories you should be eating to lose weight. You can do it!!

Don't get discouraged if you don't see the weight loss right away. A healthy way to lose weight is 4-8 pounds a month, but imagine where you would be a year from now!!!
  • soniamemms
    soniamemms Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    **add on to my last post above.
    Walk in place, jog in place, anything l, just get moving and burn calories.