Negative calorie adjustments confusion (with Microsoft Band)

Options
I know this topic has been discussed numerous times and I thought I understood it but I clearly don't. I'm using a Microsoft Band 2 (similar device to Fitbit) to monitor my steps as well as record exercise and then sync everything to MFP. It syncs steps as well as individual exercises that I perform in the same way that Fitbit does, tracks heartrate, skin temp, and lots of other things.

This morning I was at the gym at 6:00AM and spent 41 minutes on the elliptical and 25 minutes on a treadmill. Altogether the Band calculated a burn of around 1,000 calories. Everything syncs correctly to MFP.

When I look in MFP, I see the following:

Elliptical Trainer: 727 cal
Walking, 3.5mph, brisk pace: 335 cal
Microsoft Health Calorie Adjustment (7,292 steps): -1,360

So it's effectively telling me that at 7:32AM after burning 1,000 calories that I've "lost" 298 calories that I shouldn't eat. I thought the whole idea was to eat back those exercise calories to maintain the proper calorie deficit.

I don't know if the Microsoft Health is reporting something incorrectly, or if MFP is getting confused because steps are being tracked on the treadmill or elliptical. I see similar behavior on other days, even at the end of the day it still shows all that exercise resulted in a net loss of calories I should eat.

Am I misunderstanding how this is supposed to work? It's a bit demotivating.

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• liebowitz
    liebowitz Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Just a quick update to this at the end of the work day. I've since exercised several more times (brisk walks) and all is syncing with MFP.

I now have:

Elliptical: 727
    Walking: 335
    Walking: 33
    Walking: 348
    Microsoft Health Calorie Adjustment: -1,924.

All of that exercise today and MFP is still telling me that my exercise resulted in -481 calories.

I think the Microsoft Band is undercalculating calorie burn for regular steps/sitting and maybe that's throwing things off. Or if someone can explain to me how this works I'd appreciate it. All of that exercise today resulting in a negative calorie adjustment is demotivating for sure!
  • liebowitz
    Options
    Final totals from yesterday show a -602 from exercise despite the Microsoft Band reporting 1,300 calories burned from exercise throughout the day.

I wish someone could explain this to me. Is this right?

I think it may make sense to just turn off negative calorie adjustments since it doesn't appear to be working properly for me.
  • erinc5
    erinc5 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    What do you have your settings set as on MFP? You need to set it as "sedentary" and then let the band take over everything else. If you have it as anything else "lightly active" "highly active", etc.., then it is already accounting for activity in your calories.

For example, I have myself set as sedentary, which gives me 1410 calories each day. If my fitbit detects me not being sedentary, then it adds calories. For example, for me, I usually start seeing calories added to my diary once I hit around 2500 steps. Like, I had 1410 calories and so far today I have walked 4306 steps, so it is giving me about 100 calories extra. I just tried setting myself to "highly active" on MFP and now the fitbit has taken away 325 calories. It's because MFP assumes I am "highly active" with a goal of 2260 cals per day (which is WAY too many for me).

People might be able to help you more to know whats going on if you let us know your heigt/weight/age and what calorie goal MFP is giving you BEFORE any adjustments. And what you are actually getting AFTER adjustments.
  • jeepinshawn
    jeepinshawn Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Yeah, sounds like you have your activity status set to lightly or highly active.
  • katielwilburn
    katielwilburn Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    This is very confusing. I think you believe that by exercising you are subtracting calories that you are able to eat for the day and that is not the case. Your devices and myfitnesspal are trying to demonstrate that you "earned" that many extra calories. It is debatable whether or not you should "eat them back" it depends on what your goals are. If you want to lose 2+ pounds a week the difference between calories in and calories out is going to get you there. If you eat the extra calories that you burned it will take you much longer.
    And yes it sounds as though there is some confusion in your devices too. I do not have a fit bit but use my phone to track my steps. If I run 3 miles and come home and I log it manually under cardio and then MFP syncs with my phone and adds my steps it will count the run twice when in fact I only deserve credit for ONE exercise.
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    I'm echoing everyone else who is mentioning your activity level setting on MFP. Your posts seem like you earn the calories, enter them manually which causes the negative Microsoft number, then you may also be listed as highly active which causes the bigger negative adjustment.
  • liebowitz
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for the replies. I was set as "Lightly Active" in MFP and just changed it to sedentary and I'll see how that changes things.

Forget the part about eating back calories or anything like that. The part that was confusing to me was that I would work my *kitten* off at the gym and throughout the day. The Microsoft Band would record that I burned 900 calories while at the gym and MFP would tell me that that actually reduced the amount of calories I was supposed to eat in a day. I then took several brisk walks throughout the day, each at a 3.5mph pace and burning around 150 calories each (as recorded by the Band, nothing manually entered into MFP). Every time I did that, MFP deducted even more calories that I was able to eat for the day. These are days when I had 18,000+ steps recorded.

Long story short - on days when I'm highly active, MFP is telling me I need to eat less. On days when I'm not active MFP says I can eat more calories.

It just feels backwards to me and that's why I'm wondering if ether the Microsoft Health data is being reported as incorrect or MFP is taking the data and not applying it correctly.

Does that help clear it up? Does that sound backwards to anyone else?

Thanks - appreciate the feedback.
  • erinc5
    Options
    liebowitz wrote: »
    Thanks to everyone for the replies. I was set as "Lightly Active" in MFP and just changed it to sedentary and I'll see how that changes things.

Long story short - on days when I'm highly active, MFP is telling me I need to eat less. On days when I'm not active MFP says I can eat more calories.

It just feels backwards to me and that's why I'm wondering if ether the Microsoft Health data is being reported as incorrect or MFP is taking the data and not applying it correctly.

Hmmm. That part does sound weird. Could you open up your diary/profile so we can see whats going on? Are your goals in MFP and the microsoft app the same? Maybe you could try disconnecting and re-syncing the app/band.

I would contact support on both sides (MFP and Micrsoft). Seems like it is a known issue - http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/band/forum/msband-band_app/myfitnesspal-connected-app-adjustment-wrong/035fe7a1-b937-47e3-b887-1a474a8042e0?auth=1
  • liebowitz
    Options
    Nice find on that article. That person appears to be having the same problem I am. The synchronization between Microsoft Health and MFP is clearly buggy or just not working correctly.

It would be nice if it synced correctly but I can survive if it doesn't. I generally just look at total calories eaten and ignore everything else since the data isn't accurate. That leads me to ignoring any calorie benefit I get from exercising but the alternative (trying to do the math myself) would probably lead me to be wrong so this seems the safer thing to do.

I do have a ticket open with MFP but after a couple of days they seem to have gone dark and stopped replying. I'll reply to the Microsoft thread as well.

Thanks again!
  • erinc5
    Options
    liebowitz wrote: »
    That leads me to ignoring any calorie benefit I get from exercising but the alternative (trying to do the math myself) would probably lead me to be wrong so this seems the safer thing to do.

I have a fitbit that syncs correctly, and I ignore my fitbit steps sometimes. Looks like you are more active than me, though.

What you can do on the days that you are very active is just add back 25% or so of calories burned. For example, if you really are spending an hour + working out at a reasonable pace every day and you are hungry, then having a 250 calorie snack or something similar would most likely be fine. Just be consistent for a few weeks and then adjust what you're doing based on if you are losing too fast or too slow.

• greggerca
    greggerca Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I asked the Microsoft Health / Band team - in person - about this and I've also contacted MFP previously. There are some math problems and a weird translation of the data during the sync that leads to what looks like a "sign error" in the synchronization. Because exercises look fine - but that makes the adjustments get "worse" due to the projected calories becoming increasingly mismatched (due to calorie burning / general activity).

So, the "Sedentary" vs. "Lightly Active" thing may play a role in this in terms of how this feature behaves - it's the first time I've heard of it, so I didn't think to ask. It's also, apparently, mostly up to how MFP uses the information that they've requested.

Microsoft's team has made MFP aware of the issue before, but MFP was not interested enough (i.e. other priorities are governing their software plans) to make a change to the actual synchronization engine. They are more concerned with making sure the sync basically functions rather than improving it (there were times when the sync would break, or new users would not be provisioned).

Very recently, they launched their own fitness gadget bundle, so I expect even lower interest in this issue.

What's very strange in the Windows Phone app is the Live Tile... its summary works correctly. But that math is different than what MFP ends up recording... (e.g. -159 calories should actually be reported as +159). So you see the right thing before you open the app, and then it's wrong inside MFP itself.

Clearly the Windows Phone developer at MFP knew what to do with the adjustment... but it contradicts the recorded summary in MFP itself.

FYI - Lose It! now syncs with Microsoft Health (and Fitbit and Misfit) - so it's possible that this is correctly accounted for over there. I am interested in switching if stuff like this isn't ignored. Lose It!'s food database isn't a good though.
  • HypnoticHayleeLynn
    HypnoticHayleeLynn Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Same issues. I finally turned off the negative calories cause I was obsessing over it and getting mad lol
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I think there's a synching issue but I also think those burns are outrageous

727 calories for 40 mins on an elliptical and 335 for 25 mins on a treadmill

They would imply you weigh 186kg based on mets for walking at 3.5mph being 4.3
  • blessingsfromabove721
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

Wait, I have a fitbit And it tells me I burned that much while on the elliptical for aabout 35-40 mins...granted I do weigh 255lbs. But I've been wearing it for about a month so it has to be correct right?
  • kportwood85
    kportwood85 Posts: 151 Member
    Options

Yeah, I weigh just over 200Lbs, but my fitbitHR shows I burn about 300 calories just walking fairly briskly around my neighborhood 30 minutes a day. And, I'm losing weight at a really good pace, so I don't think it can be too far off.

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

Wait, I have a fitbit And it tells me I burned that much while on the elliptical for aabout 35-40 mins...granted I do weigh 255lbs. But I've been wearing it for about a month so it has to be correct right?

Depends on intensity and resistance. 35-40 mins intense steady state on an elliptical at 255lbs yes the METs values would suggest you would burn 450 cals or thereabouts

But the proof is in your body not the estimates...are you losing at the rate you expect whilst consuming that number of calories over time (6-8 weeks) then it's all good, if not adjust

Yeah, I weigh just over 200Lbs, but my fitbitHR shows I burn about 300 calories just walking fairly briskly around my neighborhood 30 minutes a day. And, I'm losing weight at a really good pace, so I don't think it can be too far off.

An HR monitor doesn't give you a good calorie conversion for walking, but the Fitbit pedometer function is generally quite reliable ...see previous comment re estimate and what happens over time in your body being more important

• EpiGeek40
    EpiGeek40 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm getting similar odd negative calories adjustments when I sync my HR monitor workouts to MRP via a Wahoo app. The issue comes up as a 'fitbit' adjustment though, I think, because I have an Aria scale synced to MFP (I do not have a Fitbit tracker). Everyday that I workout and use my HR monitor, I have to go into my MFP diary and delete the weird adjustment for that day and the day or two prior (not sure why it looks back and adjusts too).

My hypothesis, is that the calorie burn from HR goes to MFP which then get synced to my fitbit profile which for whatever reason decides to send data back to MFP. Rather annoying, but I'm dealing with it by simply deleting the adjustments.
  • liebowitz
    Options

I agree that the calorie burns are probably higher than reality and I treat them that way. Part of the issue is that the Band is getting confused and thinking I'm climbing stairs when I'm either on the elliptical/treadmill or even just walking briskly around my house. There are days I'll end up with 35 flights of stairs when the reality is more like 9 or 10. I think it's giving me extra credit for those stairs which is artificially inflating the calorie burn estimates.

With that said, I am seeing the results I'd like to see so I'm guessing it's at least somewhat accurate if not relatively close.

Thanks again too all for the feedback. I'm tempted to try LoseIt! but the food database is much smaller and I'd prefer not to lose that. For now I was able to get negative calories turned off.