Low Carb Dieters - do you have problems with.....

Options
mexigrl64
mexigrl64 Posts: 14 Member
OK, a little embrassing but from what I've read this isn't unusual when you drop your carbs so much and end up losing alot of fiber during the early phases of Low Carb diets.

You know what I'm talking about right??? I bought some BeneFiber supplements and have started on those but still not much help. Does anyone use either stool softeners or laxatives? The pharmacist told me to take laxatives but then my best friend (who is a nurse) said not unless its the last resort. I guess the side effects can be pretty bad.

Any thoughts on this sensitive subject?

Thank you!

Replies

• Drunkadelic
    Drunkadelic Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    I use a probiotic every morning (mine is align) and I just bought benefiber supplements as a helper. But I still it a ton of fruit and veggies so I still get a bunch of fiber.
  • FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    yeah it does happen, but it all comes out in the end (okay really bad pun)
  • LaDawn74
    LaDawn74 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I eat a LOT of salads....eat lots of veggies.......I don't have that problem and I've cut back a LOT on my carbs......
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    And make sure you are drinking plenty of water to keep everything moving (so to speak!)
  • sbarrett7171
    sbarrett7171 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Way back when I first started a eating low carbohydrate diet, it took some time to regulate myself. But, it is no longer necessary for me to worry about it. My system adjusted. I don't belive that a lot of fiber is as necessary as many believe
  • ckroys
    ckroys Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Smooth Move tea. Works well!!!
  • lalickly
    lalickly Posts: 1
    Options
    I did at first, but a LOT of water and greens/veggies helps and your system adjusts. Smooth Move tea works well, but I use orange flavored metamucil (psyllium husk) every once in a while and it's pretty pleasant tasting and works great too.
  • LaJauna
    LaJauna Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    OK, a little embrassing but from what I've read this isn't unusual when you drop your carbs so much and end up losing alot of fiber during the early phases of Low Carb diets.

You know what I'm talking about right??? I bought some BeneFiber supplements and have started on those but still not much help. Does anyone use either stool softeners or laxatives? The pharmacist told me to take laxatives but then my best friend (who is a nurse) said not unless its the last resort. I guess the side effects can be pretty bad.

Any thoughts on this sensitive subject?

Thank you!

I drink a cup of coffee every morning with a tbsp of extra virgin coconut oil in it with my heavy cream and liquid splenda. It has been very helpful. Also you can take extra magnesium to help you to "relax". Keep in mind that low carb eating has less "waste" so to speak so your BMs will be smaller and less often. That is a good thing. Protein is almost completely used up by your body and there is no poop left! Carbage is so loaded with poopy ingredients that you need to expel more!
  • haldeman5
    haldeman5 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I mix my greek yogurt with the sugar free preserves with fiber. I get an extra 6-12 grams of fiber everyday. I also drink tons of water, eat lots of veggies and if needed use mirolax. I hope you find something, it took me a few weeks to get myself regulated!
  • martinah4
    martinah4 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    When I feel like that, I make a fiber muffin out of flax seed. Do a search on here for Muffin in a Minute. It's so easy and fast to make, and pretty tasty, too. You can put some cream cheese on it, to flavor it up a bit! Anyway, gets the plumbing going again in less than an hour for me! and only 3 net carbs.
  • shesnotthere
    shesnotthere Posts: 117
    Options
    TMI but you generally go less when you eat low carb - so it might not be that you're struggling so much as you just don't need to go. I could go into the reasons but it's really more than anyone needs to know about poo....
  • tiffanyquincey
    Options
    It may sound strange but I've been having the opposite problem. I can't stop going for some reason..
  • suzooz
    suzooz Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    For some reason, almonds always help me -- lots of fiber and good fat.
  • LaJauna
    LaJauna Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    It may sound strange but I've been having the opposite problem. I can't stop going for some reason..

I have heard that if you were once a low fat dieter, when you start to increase your fat intake your gallbladder is soooooo happy that is finally has something to work on that it dumps too much bile for a bit until it settles down. Once your body gets used to a higher fat intake it starts to react better and your bowels calm down.
  • _Bro
    _Bro Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I never go low carb for more than two to three days so I don't really have this problem..
    I would suggest considering a day to bump your carbs back up every now and then. Frequency dependent upon your restriction.

Carbs are anabolic!
  • MissWait
    MissWait Posts: 160
    Options
    Muiti Vitamin, Benefibre and lots of water and I don't seem to have a problem, but I do go less now...Probably TMI lol
  • skinniejeans11
    skinniejeans11 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    lol yup totally normal. :tongue:
  • katschi
    katschi Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    It took a couple of months for my bowels to adjust but I'm now in a regular routine.
    I experienced too loose stools there for a few weeks and now everything is dandy.

I don't go as often as before ... anywhere from once per day to every other day.
    I don't experience constipation. I don't have to strain. When its ready, there it is! lol

I no longer suffer from bloating or excessive gas. That's nearly non-existent these days.
    If I eat too much fruit though ...

I don't take a fibre supplement. I have slight diverticulitis and excess fibre is the last thing I need.
  • kelseyk14
    kelseyk14 Posts: 95
    Options
    You can get plenty of fiber from fruits and veggies!! Which would prob happen naturally if you lower your carbs. :)
  • mexigrl64
    mexigrl64 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'm stil in Phase 1 but am giving in and eating cereal in the morning - Kashi Go Lean, but I think the All Bran is better so I'll buy that. I ate it 2 days ago and finally went ;-) Again 2 days and nothing...even with all the Fiber Supplements and the stool softeners. I hate the idea of laxatives, a friend who is a nurse said they can be a nightmare - painful cramps and sudden urges. Has anyone used them?

Thanks!