Three weeks - no weight loss

Options
After losing 1.5 stone in 2014 (profile pic is from that time) I've put it all back on again. Last time, I did all three phases of T25, then P90x, then P90x3. I weighed my food, tracked macros - within 3 months I had abs. I had cheat meals and drank alcohol maybe once a week.

Fast forward to now. I've been doing the Insanity Asylum workout for three weeks, pretty much keeping up with the whole workout (I'm fit - I still kept up my workouts last year but my diet was terrible - so I just don't look fit at all

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Are you counting your calories?
  • lightmouse
    lightmouse Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Yep. Religiously. Weighing food and fitting it my macros - everything I did before, I'm doing it now.
  • lightmouse
    Options
    It cut off the rest of my post! The rest said: counting calories, in a sensible deficit, tracking macros, not had alcohol, no cheat meals, not missed a workout - not a single lb lost. Feeling despondent
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    lightmouse wrote: »
    It cut off the rest of my post! The rest said: counting calories, in a sensible deficit, tracking macros, not had alcohol, no cheat meals, not missed a workout - not a single lb lost. Feeling despondent

As frustrating as it is, I would give it another couple of weeks. Where are you in your cycle? I put on extra weight before my period which can make it seem like I'm not losing.

• lightmouse
    edited January 2016
    Options
    That miserable week's been and gone haha! Thanks for the support. I should stop comparing to last time (still have the mfp records!)
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I have to imagine that if you just kicked up working out again after a year or so of inactivity you are probably holding a ton of water.

Give it a few weeks, if you don't start seeing a downward trend i suggest you cut your calories by 200. Give that a few weeks, re-*kitten* as necessary.

I'm not saying that you're innacurately counting, but damn is it easy to underestimate how much youre eating and overestimate how hard you're working out.
  • lightmouse
    Options
    I've not been inactive - I ran a marathon last year in 3hrs 30 and got my squats up to 60kg, my diet was just awful so I got all my belly fat back. It's all my fault, I'm so angry with myself for it.
  • lightmouse
    Options
    I weigh all my food - like, everything. To the gram. That's why I don't understand what's going on :( people say "but don't you feel stronger?" Yes, but I don't care that I can do x more push ups than I could last month or whatever - if I'm truly honest, all I want is the fat gone, I couldn't give a damn how far I can run/push-ups I can do/weight I can lift etc. Which I realise is sad, but it's true.
  • rainbowbow
    Options
    I've not been inactive - I ran a marathon last year in 3hrs 30 and got my squats up to 60kg, my diet was just awful so I got all my belly fat back. It's all my fault, I'm so angry with myself for it.

well, channel it sweetheart.

You are only angry at yourself because you think being angry serves some kind of purpose. Like punishing yourself and hating on yourself is somehow going to keep you on track. Believe me, it's not. It's only going to make you miserable.

You are doing what's necessary to get back to where you want to be. Give it time and effort, but there's not reason to hate on yourself for it.

It ultimately comes down to calories in and calories out. Having lost weight previously you know that is the case. If you aren't losing, i hate to say... you need to look at where you might be experiencing a discrepancy. There isn't going to be another genuine answer to your problem here, there isn't some magical reason why you aren't seeing weight loss. It's still probably a combination of water weight, or innacurate logging methods.
  • lightmouse
    edited January 2016
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »

You are only angry at yourself because you think being angry serves some kind of purpose. Like punishing yourself and hating on yourself is somehow going to keep you on track. Believe me, it's not. It's only going to make you miserable.

You are doing what's necessary to get back to where you want to be. Give it time and effort, but there's not reason to hate on yourself for it.

It ultimately comes down to calories in and calories out. Having lost weight previously you know that is the case. If you aren't losing, i hate to say... you need to look at where you might be experiencing a discrepancy. There isn't going to be another genuine answer to your problem here, there isn't some magical reason why you aren't seeing weight loss. It's still probably a combination of water weight, or innacurate logging methods.

Thanks, I'm just being negative and I need to suck it up. I hope it's water weight because I'm been so dedicated with the weighing and logging...every single day!
  • rainbowbow
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »

Thanks, I'm just being negative and I need to suck it up. I hope it's water weight because I'm been so dedicated with the weighing and logging...every single day!

Then you know you're on the right track. Keep at it!

As i stated earlier, if you still aren't losing in a few weeks, cut back on the calories by a couple hundred. Re-assess after a few weeks on the lower cals.

If you still aren't seeing weight loss, you may want to see a doctor. Maybe you have some rare problem like low-thyroid. (Although, this is not very likely and even still you should be able to lose SOMETHING)
  • rachfking
    rachfking Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    OP, I am in the same spot as you. My husband just reminded me that this happens every time I try to lose weight: a great first week and then nothing for 3 weeks. Just when I'm about to give up and hit the donuts, the weight starts falling off. So I just have to be patient. Currently 2 weeks with no weight loss despite doing everything right. I don't know how old you are but I am 45 and it gets harder every time. I am determined that this time I will keep it off by being more aware of what my weight gain triggers are. (I have 8 kgs to lose)
  • kazitykaz
    kazitykaz Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Are you measuring your inch loss each week and body fat % each week? Based on weight loss alone I would have given up by now but even if I don't lose weight I lose body fat and inches each week.
  • lightmouse
    Options
    Thanks everyone :) I guess I just felt really hopeless last night because I got a text last night about bridesmaid dress fittings at the end of the month and I wanted to have lost a little bit by then so I could feel more confident. The other bridesmaids are tiny petite little waifs and I'm tall and wider than them :( at my 2014 weight/size I would have been fine as I was so toned everywhere. I feel a little bit better today. I don't want to give up, it'll only make things worse!
  • lightmouse
    Options
    rachfking wrote: »
    OP, I am in the same spot as you. My husband just reminded me that this happens every time I try to lose weight: a great first week and then nothing for 3 weeks. Just when I'm about to give up and hit the donuts, the weight starts falling off. So I just have to be patient. Currently 2 weeks with no weight loss despite doing everything right. I don't know how old you are but I am 45 and it gets harder every time. I am determined that this time I will keep it off by being more aware of what my weight gain triggers are. (I have 8 kgs to lose)

I'm 30 - the age my mum said she found she couldn't shift weight off her tummy either :# I swear if I get it off this time that is it, no more binge eating - I have a completely new job this year, its like my dream job - my stress levels in my last job got so bad that last year it was screwing with my personal life too. Hence eating everything in sight....like they say, you can't out-train a bad diet. I am definitely a poster child for that.
  • BunnyBomb
    BunnyBomb Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    If you still don't see progress in (say) a month (?) I'd also recommend seeing a doctor and a good nutritionist to rule anything else out that might be going on and to really interrogate your nutrition. Calories are a crude indicator of nutrition at best, but if the sluggish start continues you might want to go down a level...into the detail of it, as it were. I did this myself, but for medical reasons, and found it ever so helpful.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    3 weeks isn't time to panic, although it's tempting. I'm currently at three weeks without a scale loss and I have to keep talking myself down. It happens to most of us at some point. I went back through my logs and saw this is a regular occurrence for me plus I have had my TOM and for the last few days have had a bug so I just need to keep on trucking. I know I've lost because there's a small difference in my measurements and clothing is fitting differently. If I'm still here in another couple of weeks I'll reassess but history tells me it's just my body doing what it does!
  • alanabanana86
    alanabanana86 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hey, don't beat yourself up. As frustrating as it may seem, take your measurements and just hold tight for a bit before you panic! If you're doing insanity it could well be muscles retaining water and swelling too. I've only just started insanity and I'm in my first week- at the stage where I can barely walk right now, please tell me it gets less painful!? :s
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    769jxayuadsr.jpg
    1.jpg 135.4K
  • lightmouse
    Options
    Hey, don't beat yourself up. As frustrating as it may seem, take your measurements and just hold tight for a bit before you panic! If you're doing insanity it could well be muscles retaining water and swelling too. I've only just started insanity and I'm in my first week- at the stage where I can barely walk right now, please tell me it gets less painful!? :s

The first week of Insanity is a killer, but it does get easier...until the first week of the second month where you're right back to the beginning again hahaha! I've done a couple of rounds in the past - maybe I should have stuck with that rather than trying Asylum, which still appears to be doing absolutely nothing. Belly still huge, bf and scale weight not shifting...I was so demotivated today that for the first time I didn't give the workout 100% :( as soon as it started hurting my brain was just like "what's the point, it's not even doing anything" :(:(:(