How will I survive!! Advice please

Options
Off to Russia for work....how will I stay on track? Freeze the pounds off. How do you say low carb low calories in Russian with out offending! This will be tricky. Any advice

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Vodka is low carb. Eat what you like, leave what you don't, they'll adapt. Cabbage for breakfast, happy memories.
  • brigitukas00
    brigitukas00 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Russian food is more healthy then you think , it is not genetically modified as in USA for example
  • mis1022
    mis1022 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Portion control will really help. I would want to taste the food while you are there, if its a once in a lifetime trip, but just a taste. Slowly savor a higher calorie food and then fill up on vegetables.
  • benjimweller
    benjimweller Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Love that advice. Good stuff. Slowly savour, that's making me hungry now
  • benjimweller
    Options
    @brigit. Any advice on what to steer clear of?
  • crb426
    crb426 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    mis1022 wrote: »
    Portion control will really help. I would want to taste the food while you are there, if its a once in a lifetime trip, but just a taste. Slowly savor a higher calorie food and then fill up on vegetables.

Perfectly put! You will kick yourself if you don't try to immerse yourself in the Russian cuisine. Just limit yourself to small amounts. And lots of veggies. :)
  • wandererlust
    wandererlust Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I always try the local cuisine when I travel- I would much rather have the experience than save the calories. But portion control will definitely be your friend. Supplement extra veggies everywhere!
  • ernestrodgers82
    ernestrodgers82 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Off to Russia for work....how will I stay on track? Freeze the pounds off. How do you say low carb low calories in Russian with out offending! This will be tricky. Any advice

I've never been to Russia but I've been to a lot of other European countries. You will be surprised to learn they have the same concerns, consume the same news and want many of the same things we do. If you stick with "peasant" foods which are simpler than fancier dishes, you will probably be just fine.
  • benjimweller
    Options
    You bunch of legends! Thanks so much for the heads up! Tonight will be western food. As minus 20 says I'm not straying to far from the hotel tonight. Thanks peeps
  • spzjlb
    spzjlb Posts: 599 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Russian food is more healthy then you think , it is not genetically modified as in USA for example

There is not one scientific study to indicate GM food to be unhealthy.
  • allenpriest
    allenpriest Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    Boiled beef tongue for breakfast might put you off a bit. Good luck! ;)
  • zharptichka
    zharptichka Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I've been to Russia several times and I'm going again in a month. It's rough if you're trying to do low carb. They're pretty meat and potatoes especially in the winter and nearly everything is going to have sour cream or mayonaise (even the soup). If you're in one of the big cities (i.e. Petersburg or Moscow) you're going to have all the usual cosmopolitan options and it's pretty easy to deal with. If you're in a small city or village, good luck and embrace portion control. If it's not going to be a long trip I wouldn't worry over much have fun and just try to keep portions in mind.
  • benjimweller
    Options
    Good solid advice. Thanks
  • angelamichelle_xo
    angelamichelle_xo Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    EVERY MEAL IS A NEW BEGINNING.
    dont wait for tomorrow to start fresh, do it now.
  • WendyLaubach
    WendyLaubach Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Hey, there's nothing wrong with beef tongue. It's as tender as prime rib. In a place as cold as Russia, I'd expect the problem to be the lack of green vegetables during most of the year. If you have only meat, grains, and potatoes to choose from, portion control will be the only way to get through. There are pretty cheap, portable scales available now online--try Amazon--but if you're eating the same thing all the time, you won't have to be so careful about weighing once you hit on the right portion.