Yoplait commercial considered controversial? Interesting..

Options
You know that commercial where the lady is standing in front of the open fridge at work and sees this massive raspberry cheesecake. She is debating in her head whether or not she should take a slice. And if she does, should she go for a jog afterwards, jog in place while eating it, or eat celery to try and cancel it out? It has been pulled off the air due to people labeling it as negative reinforcement. That's how I paraphrase it.

If you haven't yet, check out this article.

http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/health/does-this-commercial-encourage-eating-disorders-video-2497971/

What do you think? Do you agree with the actions? I honestly did not think about it the way others took it. Maybe I should then? But isn't this run by society either way? Dang if you do, dang if you don't.

Replies

• snowbaby1492
    Options
    i can see the point that they were making about it. when i saw the commercial, i didn't even see that they were trying to make the yogurt look good. it didn't make me want to eat yogurt or cheesecake. it was just her being guilty for wanting a bit of cheesecake.
  • wepst324
    wepst324 Posts: 9
    Options
    Maybe she was just trying to maintain her weight and that is why she has the inner debate. I do that all the time. I don't think I have an eating disorder because I choose a yogurt or piece of fruit over eating something that has enough calories and sugar to be unhealthy. Life is about choices, I choose to be healthy and one of the ways to be healthy is to maintain a reasonable weight so as not to stress heart, lungs, joints, etc.
  • kmeekhof
    kmeekhof Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    When I saw the commercial on TV I didn't see it as controversial... I just saw it as her trying to be "healthier" and make better choices for lifestyle trying to lose weight. I can see though how somebody might take it as her feeling guilty and "beating herself up" over wanting to eat the cheesecake
  • FAtGiRLFItGiRL
    Options
    i take it as the yogurt is supposed to taste like the cheesecake and is a healthier choice.
  • Sunshine_Girlie
    Sunshine_Girlie Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Maybe she was just trying to maintain her weight and that is why she has the inner debate. I do that all the time. I don't think I have an eating disorder because I choose a yogurt or piece of fruit over eating something that has enough calories and sugar to be unhealthy. Life is about choices, I choose to be healthy and one of the ways to be healthy is to maintain a reasonable weight so as not to stress heart, lungs, joints, etc.

Exactly. This is how I perceive it.
  • wdwghettogirl
    wdwghettogirl Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I just found it amusing that she was trying to justify eating it... cuz that's what I do! lol "If I eat this, what do I have to do...?" I had a little chuckle with it. I think pulling it off the air is a bit extreme.
  • BethanyMasters
    BethanyMasters Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I think people blow things way out of proportion. I don't at all see how this commercial is promoting eating disorders.

If anything it looks like it's promoting making healthier choices.
  • Sunshine_Girlie
    Options
    i take it as the yogurt is supposed to taste like the cheesecake and is a healthier choice.

Also another thought I had. Hold out two hands and decide which one is more reasonable. I don't see anything outlandish.
  • kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Who has not had that mental debate when looking at a cake or cupcakes, cheesecake (oooh, cheesecake....), chocolate, etc. I have been there, done that, had the cheesecake after a very similar debate with myself.

What a stupid move. People need to stop being overly sensitive, geesh.
  • Ariyasnow1
    Ariyasnow1 Posts: 117
    Options
    I don't see anything wrong with it. It was kind of cute and it made you associate that eating the yogurt is healthier than eating the actual cheese cake, which is true. It was aimed at people like us, people who want to be more healthy with their dieting choices, but who would also like some tasty options once in a while... :smile:
  • elliecolorado
    elliecolorado Posts: 1,040
    Options
    I don't have a problem with it, the only thing I get from it is that the yogurt tastes like cheese cake yet is healthier. Choosing a healthier option, but still kinda having what you want has nothing to do with having an eating disorder. I have that same debate in my head multiple times a day and look at the nutrition info on things and ask 'how far would I have to run to burn that off?' or 'candy bar vs. chocolate protein bar?'
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    I think it kind of perpetuates a cycle. The "forbidden food" versus the "healthy food' .

The guiltier your feel about indulging in forbidden food the more you NEED their product

I've been working very hard to:
    1) not feel deprived
    2) break that food-guilt link, after all we all need to eat and
    If I take a little care to eat nutrient dense foods I get to enjoy some just for fun calories. (aka junk food) and you know what? I DO NOT HAVE TO FEEL GUILTY about this.

My mission is to make food is my friend not the enemy. It is here to nourish and nurture us.

It is my job to make sure my body has all the nutrients it needs to function well. Now that I've been watching my diet I don't eat nearly as much crap and you know what NOW a treat is just that a TREAT. It's special and rare and I enjoy it all the more because I'm not constantly stuffing my face with empty calories. (Also because I get fewer calories when I have a treat I'm not spending my calories on something mediocre I'm going for the good stuff).
  • ejohndrow
    ejohndrow Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options

Exactly, isn't that the point of those yoplait commercials advertising their "dessert" flavored yogurts?

For the record, I started losing weight after I stopped eating light yogurt, and other things of course.
  • Sunshine_Girlie
    Options

Exactly, isn't that the point of those yoplait commercials advertising their "dessert" flavored yogurts?

For the record, I started losing weight after I stopped eating light yogurt, and other things of course.

When you stopped eating yogurt, what did your replace it with? Just curious.
  • elliecolorado
    elliecolorado Posts: 1,040
    Options
    I think it kind of perpetuates a cycle. The "forbidden food" versus the "healthy food' .

The guiltier your feel about indulging in forbidden food the more you NEED their product

I've been working very hard to:
    1) not feel deprived
    2) break that food-guilt link, after all we all need to eat and
    If I take a little care to eat nutrient dense foods I get to enjoy some just for fun calories. (aka junk food) and you know what? I DO NOT HAVE TO FEEL GUILTY about this.

My mission is to make food is my friend not the enemy. It is here to nourish and nurture us.

It is my job to make sure my body has all the nutrients it needs to function well. Now that I've been watching my diet I don't eat nearly as much crap and you know what NOW a treat is just that a TREAT. It's special and rare and I enjoy it all the more because I'm not constantly stuffing my face with empty calories. (Also because I get fewer calories when I have a treat I'm not spending my calories on something mediocre I'm going for the good stuff).

I still eat cake or cookies or whatever I want sometimes, but I still have a debate in my head first. When I do chose to eat something that isn't healthy I don't feel guilty, but I do contemplate if I should go for a healthier option first and there is nothing wrong with that and it doesn't mean that I have an eating disorder, just that I try to make a healthier choice most of the time.
  • Starrr126
    Starrr126 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I just saw that commercial tonight. I think it's funny. My Mom even pointed it out to me and said "this is you". I agree with the others that it's trying to say yogurt is a healthier choice and tastes similar. I also lost more weight when I stopped eating the fancy yogurts. It is surprising how much sugar is in most yogurt! Yikes! When I do eat yogurt it's greek yogurt and I add my own fruit or granola.
  • FAtGiRLFItGiRL
    Options
    I JUST SAW THE COMMERCIAL LIKE 10 MINUTES AGO. LOL
  • wantconfidence
    Options
    so funny as i was reading this the commercial came on tv
    the chicks in the commercial are just normal ppl who care about being healthy and not gaining the weight that comes with eating a bunch of junk like chesse cake the yoplait ppl just vocalized what women think when looking at a tempting high calorie dessert
    sum groups take stuff way to far they dont seem to be getting mad at the diet pill companys who have already thin ppl talking about losing even more weight with their pills
  • milanks
    milanks Posts: 122
    Options
    I read some articles about this earlier today. Interesting stuff. My thought is that if anyone in that commercial is sick, it's the one who doesn't even seem to notice the real cheesecake sitting there. :laugh:

I'd probably go for the cheesecake and make up for it with a jog. Cheesecake is delicious and jogging is fun!
  • ejohndrow
    ejohndrow Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options

When you stopped eating yogurt, what did your replace it with? Just curious.

I really don't remember, and I started trading my "100 calorie snack" type things for more natural foods-even if I don't always eat this way. But, all in all, I really eat very little dairy in general.