Woman with PCOS

Options
Hello all, not really new here but starting up once again after some health issues!! Just found out I have PCOS (Polycystic ovary syndrome) and was wondering if any other woman have this and would like to share.... With PCOS I know it's very hard to loose weight. I'm starting some research on my own on what's the best was to loose weight and deal with PCOS. Please add me or follow me, would love some feed back or ideas and let's do this together :)

Replies

• dream_then_do
    dream_then_do Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi there :)
    I don't have experience/knowledge with pcos but I have pmdd and mammoth fibroids I deal with. I'm thinking we most likely have some overlapping similarities. Add me if you'd like...
  • jessicaloves7
    jessicaloves7 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Hey ladies! I have PCOS as well! There are actually a TON of women who have it on here - and some great success stories!!! There are some large groups for PCOS on MFP - just search PCOS!

So far, I've heard/read/seen/and been recommened by doctors that high fat, low carbs is the key. Or high protein, low carbs. But LOW CARBS. Insulin resistance is so correlated to this syndrome - whether the weight and insulin sensitivity triggers the PCOS or vice versa is still hotly debated.

So I would look at Paleo and Keto diets as a start! I am still researching both for specifics but I'm 10 days into eating 50%F 30%P and 20%C and I've never felt better. I've also instantly dropped weight.

Good luck and happy tracking :-)
  • Raerising78
    Raerising78 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thank you girls so much for your information! I'm looking forward to learning more and fixing myself!!
  • Amzy_2010
    Amzy_2010 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have pcos and have known for several years but just started taking it serious and trying to lose weight. And so far I have found it very hard. When I started take my the metformin they prescribed that helped some with weight loss but I still struggle. I'd love to follow or see some others people journeys with weight loss when they have pcos. Feel free to add me.
  • Raerising78
    Raerising78 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I'm not on metformin but on a testosterone only birth control pill. I have only been on it for a month now so not sure how it's working yet. I'm starting to look up natural ways to help with PCOS and will be posting them on my page. I now that lack of iodine plays a big part in our system so I've started taking two drops in a glass of water daily and will see how I feel.
  • RobinK228
    RobinK228 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed over 15 years ago with PCOS and have struggled with weight gain. I've tried birth control pills which didn't help at all. Was put on Metformin which helped with starting to get my period again and have been on 1500 mg for about 3 years. My doctor just tested my A1C and it was 8.8 (yikes!), so I'm officially a diabetic. I'm trying Keto (low carbs, high fat, moderate protein) to see if it helps control my sugar and drop some of this weight. So far so good, my sugars have been anywhere from 100-120 and as long as I keep them under 140 my doctor said he would not start me on insulin. Crossing my fingers!!!