The dreadful scale...

Options
How often should I weigh myself? and should I weigh myself before a workout or after a workout? I usually wait until i need to wear a belt on my loose jeans to weigh myself, but I want to start tracking my progress on here.

Replies

• techymum
    techymum Posts: 168
    Options
    I have always thought that once a week is good. That way you aren't too worried about the little ups and downs we all encounter.
  • banjobouner2
    Options
    The best time to wiegh yourself would be in the morning. I do it once a week, sometimes every second week, as the first thing i do when i wake up. That way, the weight wont be affected by the food you have eaten, nearly as much as if you weigh in, in the middle of the day :) And if you decide to keep track, be sure to weigh in at the same time of the day everytime, then you get more accurate measurings :)
  • TamiLinc
    TamiLinc Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself the same day every week after i wake up and go to the bathroom. I randomly hop on once or twice a week to "check" but only on tuesday does it count :)~ It causes to much emotions when you hop on and off all the time.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Yup, once a week (good habit if you can do it!) in the morning after you've used the bathroom and before you eat or workout.
    Either naked or wearing the same clothes.
    This will give you a more accurate comparison from week to week than if you weight at different times of day or after you have worked out or eaten, as your body weight will go up and down depending on what you do with your day.
  • Collinsky
    Collinsky Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Once a week is generally what is recommended, and nope - not after a workout. That brings in too many variables, like water lost, and doesn't give an accurate picture of what is really going on.

I put my scale in the top of the closet, because I was too likely to keep hopping on "just to check" and when you do it like that it doesn't provide any real useful information -- there are too many natural fluctuations throughout the day, and from day to day, for it to be meaningful. Once a week is plenty to know if you need are losing or gaining.
  • lyrical_21
    lyrical_21 Posts: 25
    Options
    What type of scales do you guys have? I know they have some that separate your fat weight from your muscle gain...at least that's what i heard. I was really pissed off one day a few years back when i got on the scale and it said I weighed 144lbs, but I was a size 6. Didn't know I put on over 20lbs of muscle to a trainer told me.