cleaning as a cardio?

Options
Does any count cleaning as cardio I see it as a option but does cleaning really burn a lot?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I personally count cleaning as part of my daily life, not as exercise. It doesn't put my heart rate into cardio range.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    no
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Nope, unless you're featured on "Buried Alive" I doubt you'll get much of a burn from cleaning. ;)
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    I don't, I don't think it burns that many calories anyway.
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    No. I consider it part of my normal activity.

However, if it's not part of my normal cleaning routine AND is really labor intensive, I will count it. A couple of summers ago our basement flooded and we had to empty out the entire thing. Not something I do all the time and it was a lot of hard work. So I counted that.
  • Jes_ika
    Jes_ika Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    yea I didnt think so
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    I'm set to lightly active as my activity level since I'm cleaning every day.
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    i consider it regular activity. however, i skip from room to room, i dance when i sweep, i do lunges while picking up items off the floor. you can sneak in tons of extra little movements that might not "count" but they do add up. I say, every little bit helps.

But, to those that log it, i never question it. Its up to each person to decide if they should count it or not. Ive seen some pretty derisive comments about those that do, and that is just not helpful. (but it is the internet so...)
  • _layton_
    _layton_ Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    no only 144 calories per hour
  • Jes_ika
    Jes_ika Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    besaro wrote: »
    i consider it regular activity. however, i skip from room to room, i dance when i sweep, i do lunges while picking up items off the floor. you can sneak in tons of extra little movements that might not "count" but they do add up. I say, every little bit helps.

But, to those that log it, i never question it. Its up to each person to decide if they should count it or not. Ive seen some pretty derisive comments about those that do, and that is just not helpful. (but it is the internet so...)

I do the same when I clean
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    cleaning, cooking, etc are daily activities...even if your activity level is set to sedentary, it's going to account for a fair amount of those types of general activities. Even a sedentary setting is going to account for up to about 5,000 steps...that should pretty much cover most cleaning, cooking, etc.

that said, it's good to just be active, and that includes cooking and cleaning and doing yard work, etc...the more active you are, the more energy you're going to expend in general. these types of things are why i always had my activity level set to light active even though i have a desk job...when i get home there are always things that need done around the house and usually a big project to take care of on the weekends. i personally don't think most people give themselves enough credit for this type of day to day activity in their activity levels and just default to sedentary even though they're probably not.

also, "cardio" refers to cardiovascular exercise where you would elevate your heart rate for a sustained amount of time in order to improve/maintain your cardiovascular fitness...i don't count this type of stuff as "exercise" because it does next to nothing to improve my cardiovascular fitness...it is general activity, not cardiovascular exercise.
  • sault_girl
    sault_girl Posts: 219 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Sometimes I log it, if I'm working really quickly and actually getting my blood pumping while doing it (i.e. scrubbing the shower, running up/down the stairs putting stuff away, mopping and sweeping).

I have my tdde set for completely sedentary, so I think it's ok to add some of it.

If you see me log a LOT of "cleaning" time in one day, I was probably doing a lot of farm chores, which includes a lot of heavy lifting, carrying, walking, pushing/pulling, bending, shovelling, etc. I don't care what anyone thinks about me logging it or not.... it totally counts!
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I let FitBit count my steps, but it's never enough to change my cal goal. It's just daily activity.
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    No. But I do count my Fitbit steps so that measures all activity, period. I put my HR into workout mode when I hike or Zumba.
    I also don't count normal gardening, fence painting, etc either. But if I were doing an activity that elevates my heart rate for an extended period & replaced a normal workout I have. Like snow shoveling my deck at my cabin, or digging out a big in-ground stump with a pick, or shoveling & spreading multiple wheelbarrow loads of compost or bark.
    And I try to have a spirit of generosity here. If a person has been morbidly obese and extremely sedentary, house cleaning may be a perfect bridge activity toward longer walks & more fitness related activities.
  • katiebean
    katiebean Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I add it if it's labour-intensive and out of the ordinary, I think there are options for light or moderate levels of cleaning but I'm not sure what they're called. Usually I don't add it though.
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I don't. My settings are at lightly active. If I counted cleaning as an extra exercise I would be double dipping and probably be gaining weight...slowly.
  • caednkat
    caednkat Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I do, once a week. I clean a local church as a part time job. I wore my heart rate monitor just for fun one time. In the two hours it takes me to clean the church I burn somewhere between 600 and 800 calories based off my heart rate. So now I wear my heart rate monitor every time just to keep track.
    That being said I don't eat back my calories from exercise. I just like seeing how long it takes each week and what my heart rate is during that activity. For me it's a good judge of how my fitness is getting better. When I first started cleaning the church that two hours would burn around 1,000 calories. As my fitness level increases my heart rate doesn't go as high and so the calorie burn is lower. That feels like a pat on the back for me.

That day of the week is also my active "rest" day.
  • courtneylykins5
    courtneylykins5 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I don't log it but I do consider some things that are not every day chores to be a light workout at the very least. For example, shampooing carpets, vacuuming my stairs, scrubbing floors or shower walls, cutting grass, or shoveling snow.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    no it is not exercise and should not be counted as such. Hopefully, you got fat while cleaning your house therefore, it is considered part of your daily activity and not 'extra'.

however, if you want to come clean MY house, I will happily let you count those as exercise calories.