Need help( body pics included) is my routine at the gym ok?

Options
Hey everyone,
Super embarrasing, but I uploaded pics of myself. I'm currently 192 lbs, and I have some major problem areas. Although I have to lose from every area, I feel my belly is my major problem, among many. I am currently going to the gym 5times/week. I do 30 mins on the elliptical, 20 walking 2.0mph at 10% incline. I also do light weights for legs and arms. I am not sure whether I'm doing a routine that is right for me.
I really want to reduce my belly. I was told not to do sit-ups yet, because my belly will just become "bulky" .
I would really appreciate if you could let me know whether i'm doing the right thing or if you had any suggestions. I don't know much about what works best, so I would love your comments.
Thank you very much!
I hope the link works

DSCF3913-1.jpg

DSCF3913-1.jpg

Replies

• Heatherbelle_87
    Heatherbelle_87 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone,
    Super embarrasing, but I uploaded pics of myself. I'm currently 192 lbs, and I have some major problem areas. Although I have to lose from every area, I feel my belly is my major problem, among many. I am currently going to the gym 5times/week. I do 30 mins on the elliptical, 20 walking 2.0mph at 10% incline. I also do light weights for legs and arms. I am not sure whether I'm doing a routine that is right for me.
    I really want to reduce my belly. I was told not to do sit-ups yet, because my belly will just become "bulky" .
    I would really appreciate if you could let me know whether i'm doing the right thing or if you had any suggestions. I don't know much about what works best, so I would love your comments.
    Thank you very much!
    I hope the link works

DSCF3913-1.jpg

DSCF3913-1.jpg
  • minnie86
    minnie86 Posts: 187
    Options
    thanks!
  • Sunshine_Girlie
    Sunshine_Girlie Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    When I went to the gym, there was this older lady who told me to do the machine where you twist yourself..arms and back, the ab crunch, and anything cardio. I don't go there anymore, but it did help. With not having a lot of money to spare for the gym, I have converted to doing things at home and outside.

--Sorry. Wish I knew the name of the machine. You just sit on this seat and adjust the weight and twist.
  • wintermama13
    wintermama13 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    When I really want to target my core I bring 3-5 pound weights with me on the treadmill at the gym or walking outside at home. I either twist an extra amount each step and swing my arms extra or do different arm lifts with the weights. It's not a lot of weight but I usually do abot 20 reps of each different lift and I can tell after i do it. Good luck :)
  • Heatherbelle_87
    Options
    Who told you not to do situps??? If thats the ONLY muscles you work then yes they will become bulky but for good strong ab muscles (which also helps with lower back muscles) you should be working your abs LONG before you can actually see them. Remember crunches arent the only thing to do, if you have a gym membership check out their weight ab machines for working your sides and lower back (lower back and abdominal muscles wrap into each other)

As to spot reducing, right now what you need to be focusing on is weight loss.... PERIOD.... and all over light toning will help. As you get closer to your goal weight the fat will come off everywhere. From the looks of your pictures you mainly retain in your belly so that may be the last to go but it WILL go. If you are losing weight on your current cardio routine then theres no reason to change but upping the intensity will never hurt
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    It sounds like your routine is off to a great start. You can't "spot reduce" per se, but changing your diet (if you are not currently eating lots of vegetables, this will help) will help with belly fat...I never heard the thing about "getting bulky" by doing situps...I've done crunches and ab exercises since I started working out again 3 months ago, and it's helped, along with cardio (especially intervals), lots of water, lots of fiber, lots of raw fruits and veggies...and really trying to cut down on sodium and processed foods...
  • 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    I promise you I used to look just like this when I started at 212 (I am 5'7"). I started with 10 mins in the morning and 10 mins at night - cardio. I worked up from there and now do tons of cardio and some strength and toning too. Cardio will reduce your mid-section - 14 inches off my waist. Gotta burn fat before you can really tone. Once you reach your goal weight - or when you are really close - try doing ab workouts. I do Tony Horton 7 minute abs from YouTube every night now. Lost another inch from it! Stick with it - it will come! I went from a 1X to a size 6-8!

Sit ups are tricky and you can injure your back easily. Crunches and other ab work is a bit easier and you get results.
  • hopebuck
    hopebuck Posts: 138
    Options
    you know I REALLY think cardio and strength, eating your correct number of calories by tracking everything will REALLY trim those areas down I wouldn't be too hard on yourself or too embarrassed! Those are the worst parts to try to lose...I think first you have to lose the "fat" and you will see those areas trim down. As long as you are doing strength work with your cardio to strengthen your muscles I truly believe you will see those areas start to disappear. Are you taking measurments?? take measurements and monthly pics of your self....I bet you will be amazed at the changes! and truly you will NOT bulk up, women just don't "bulk" up UNLESS they want to. If you are really interested in a great book...the new rules of lifting for women is FANTASTIC! except they don't really believe in cardio, and, well..I do :) also, jillan michael's videos are GREAT circuit workouts incorporating BOTH cardio and strength.

I think you are doing AWESOME!!! you have lost SIXTY ONE pounds! you are DEFINITELY doing something right!!! I bet you can already see aMAJOR difference than when you started this journey! be proud and keep doing what you are doing, maybe just add some heavier weights or more reps with the lighter weights :)
  • bpe101
    bpe101 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Sit-ups won't create bulk, they will create muscles and strength. However, you can build all the muscles you want in there, but if you don't lose the fat, it won't matter. You will never see them. Also it sounds like you could stand to up the weights. Don't go light, go as heavy as you can. You are wasting time if you are just moving around light weights. Push yourself as hard as you can every time!
  • Grimlock1030
    Options
    Hey Heather, I am now doing P90x and Insanity. I would not recommend Insanity to you, but I think P90x would be a great help to you. You can google or go to YouTube to check out P90x. If you can afford it, then I would buy it and cancel that gym membership.
  • pftjill
    pftjill Posts: 488
    Options
    If you really want a good fat burn go more toward weights. Too much cardio can make you "skinny fat." Weights on the other hand burn fat when you are just sitting around. However you need to do more than light weights. Get some squats and lunges in and add more weight. You want to be getting to muscle fatigue at the end of your reps. Add more weights!!!
  • hopebuck
    hopebuck Posts: 138
    Options
    Hey Heather, I am now doing P90x and Insanity. I would not recommend Insanity to you, but I think P90x would be a great help to you. You can google or go to YouTube to check out P90x. If you can afford it, then I would buy it and cancel that gym membership.

I agree with Grimlock1030!! I only say that because I just put my gym membership on hold and I truly believe i am getting a BETTER workout with videos than I did at the gym...... I'm doing jillians' shred and banish fat boos metabolism (they are only $10 each at target) also, beachbody.com has lots of choices, they are all great for getting toned and losing fat. I'm EXTREMELY interested in ChaLean extreme......

still...you are doing AMAZING!
  • MuchMovement
    MuchMovement Posts: 100
    Options
    My recommendation to you as a medical intuitive and athlete is to improve your posture, and to focus hardest on working out the waist down. It's important to work your bigger muscles (glutes, thighs) if you want to lose from smaller areas like your stomach. You work your bigger muscles out to burn, and your smaller muscles to tone, define and build. Since the muscles in your stomach are tiny, you can focus on them daily, but you should rest your bigger muscles for a day after using. Picking up a bicycle and some yoga would likely be a great way to accomplish your goals quickly.
  • MuchMovement
    MuchMovement Posts: 100
    Options
    What is "Skinny fat?" I'm super curious!
  • Sunshine_Girlie
    Sunshine_Girlie Posts: 618 Member
    Options

Curious here. I know about both programs, but I'm a little frightened by them. Lol. Why would you not recommend Insanity? Is it based on the program as a whole or is it targeted towards people to just tone? Not sure here, so my mind is opened to hearing about it.
  • Heatherbelle_87
    Options
    I reposted her pics for her :)

I highly recommend the strength training :) My boyfriend actually body builds... damn drill sargeant when we're at the gym too! (Didnt know we went to the same gym till we were dating lol) I havent tried P90X yet but Ive been contemplating it. The OP will definently benefit from it too Im sure!
  • Heatherbelle_87
    Options
    What is "Skinny fat?" I'm super curious!

"Skinny fat" is a term to describe people who are thin in general but eat incredibly unhealthy and have no real strength due to lack of muscle tone
  • minnie86
    Options
    thanks everyone for taking the time to post. I appreciate all of the comments and will definetely take them into account. have a lovely night!
  • pftjill
    pftjill Posts: 488
    Options
    You would be surprised at how much fat marathoners have on their body. That is their fuel so their body hangs on to it more. I know weird, I learned this in my classes. Even though they are skinny they have less muscle and more fat. Cardio can actually take from your muscle. Body builders who do shows and like the bulk of muscle don't do much cardio-they do some, but too much creates muscle loss. So when you do nothing but cardio and lots of it you get "skinny fat." Your body just stores more for the fuel of the runs or whatever endurance sport you do.
  • minnie86
    Options
    that's interesting. thanks!