Need Motivation

Options
Hello, I am in desperate need of motivation. I weigh about 190 and would like to get down to about 140.

Diabetes, heart disease, morbid obesity, and high blood pressure runs very high in my family. I am 33 years old and am considered obese, my BP is slightly high, and my Triglycerides are quite high. I need to fight to get my weight down to get everything under control.

My boyfriend is great and says he loves me and that I am very sexy as I am and that he will do what he can to help...but he doesn't have to fight like I do and doesn't know the struggles I will be going through. I don't enjoy most exercises (I have loose joints and hurt myself frequently), love food, and now I have entirely too much time on my hands.

Replies

• Dellonious1
    Dellonious1 Posts: 209
    Options
    Welcome to this site..Here there are alot of people that give great advice and support...Good luck on your weight loss,your doing a great thing by joining this site.
    Amy
  • techymum
    techymum Posts: 168
    Options
    Hi Tanya - and welcome to My fitness pal! There are plenty of people on here who can help you with motivation, and I myself am really only at the beginning of my new lifestyle.

May I suggest first just getting out for a walk. I am using the iphone app lolo beatburn, and find it incredibly motivating. In less than one month I have gone from having zero desire to walk to the end of the block (not kidding), to walking 3 miles in one hour every other day and the flip day I walk/jog for 20 minutes.

It all started with one step on a nice day and some music.

Good luck!
  • tinka2
    tinka2 Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi I'm needing motivation to once i get started iam good to go
  • CelebrateLife
    CelebrateLife Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Hi Welcome! Make small changes at a time, don't deprive yourself of certain foods-instead cut portion sizes, be active- do things that you enjoy....... You can do it !
  • TanyaRoe
    TanyaRoe Posts: 7
    Options
    Thank you for welcoming me. I was going to start with mild yoga...I did that before. Would walking be better?
  • vscott913
    vscott913 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I think whatever exercise you enjoy is the best one for you (provided your doc agrees of course). You can do it!
  • CelebrateLife
    CelebrateLife Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Walking is always beneficial in addition to anything else that you do
  • techymum
    techymum Posts: 168
    Options
    I haven't tried yoga - was invited but didn't have any stretchy pants to wear, lol! Is yoga something you do every day? Or once a week? Walking could be your fill in on the days you don't have yoga. And it doesn't have to be long when you start.

You do what you feel like doing first - because which ever you try and start and accomplish will help you move on to the next thing.

For me, I just wanted to force myself to get outside again, enjoy the fresh air, etc. not to mention walking was free.

Jayme
  • TanyaRoe
    TanyaRoe Posts: 7
    Options
    Yoga is like every other day, so walking is a good idea for the off days and possible even on the days that I do yoga. Fitting sweats are good with yoga, but I prefer form fitting shorts and a tank top with a baggy shirt loosely tucked in.

I decided on the yoga because if I decided on just walking I would procrastinate to the point of not getting it done, but waling in addition or on the off days is a great idea. Thank you
  • onmyweightohappiness
    onmyweightohappiness Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP feel free to add me if you want. Love having people to support me as well as people to support! The support is whats kept me motivated the last year!