cayenne pepper?

Options
sschiano
sschiano Posts: 48 Member
no im not talking about that stupid lemonade and maple syrup thing!!!

so i've read in various places (magazines, online, etc.) about adding cayenne pepper to foods can boost your metabolism by making the body heat up and then burn more calories by cooling it, i dont want my food to be spicy when i taste it so ive been thinking about making some cayenne pepper capsules to take once a day (with food duh) to get the same effect without the taste. obviously im skeptical about it; i was wondering what you guys think? has anyone tried anything like this? does anyone think theres some merit to this? is it worth a shot? i just want to bounce some ideas around :)

Replies

• JeffGDDG
    JeffGDDG Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I take the capsules with meals. I haven't noticed a huge affect. Not yet anyways. You do want to make sure to drink plenty of water with it and it can still cause some discomfort from time to time.
  • Jdismybug1
    Jdismybug1 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    I just like cayenne pepper in general, I put it on a lot of things, we've been making a lot of guac lately, and I love it HOT, I won't eat it without it.
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    I think there is already something like this on the market. Goggle capsaicin, it’s the active ingredient in pepper.
  • mummum2
    mummum2 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I use a lot of cayenne pepper also, seasoning my meats etc. :bigsmile:
  • shesnotthere
    shesnotthere Posts: 117
    Options
    I put it on EVERYTHING. I love it. That and smoked paprika. I would be scared of, um, the exit effects of taking it as a pill? Actually I think a lot of spices have beneficial effects.
  • Ahmee2034
    Ahmee2034 Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Well, I live in Louisiana and you know how we eat here...Cayenne is THE staple in our kitchens. I can honestly say that the amount of cayenne it would take to increase your metabolism is far to much for you to eat. Besides, if that were true, I'd be skinny! LOL :laugh:
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    Well, I live in Louisiana and you know how we eat here...Cayenne is THE staple in our kitchens. I can honestly say that the amount of cayenne it would take to increase your metabolism is far to much for you to eat. Besides, if that were true, I'd be skinny! LOL :laugh:

Not really. If you eat more than you burn, no matter how much it increases your metabolism you will still get fat. Having said that, yes it does increase metabolism, but it is not a huge amount (maybe 50 calories extra a day or so although it might be more). The other thing I suspect is that over time the effect dwindles. Your body seeks to keep the metabolism quite stable, and while metabolism boosters might work for a while, long term they probably don't. I like spicy food, so I spice things up a lot, but whether it does anything to increase my metabolism long term, I really doubt it. You can probably do my by weight training.
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options

Isn't cayenne the state bird of Louisana? :smile: No wait it's tobasco, cayenne is the state flower.
  • sschiano
    sschiano Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    i was thinking of using it as an extra boost when i hit a plateau...
  • Ahmee2034
    Ahmee2034 Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    LOL Who knows! In Louisiana, things change so quickly and often! :laugh: