Winded, shoveling snow, how can I exercise?

Options
So I made a promise to myself that I was going to stay going to the gym in February (yes I know, why wait when I can do it today). Well today I was shoveling the snow and I was winded in like 3 minutes so I sat down and I felt a bit dizzy not super dizzy and my vision kinda blurred a bit, and on top of that my chest started to have this dull pain. How am I supposed yo start working out if I felt like dying from just shoveling the driveway? Has anyone else felt like this? What can I do?

PS. I do plan on visiting my doctor soon

Replies

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Start small. Walking helped me tremendously. Started walking a slow and easy mile and slowly increased to 4 miles. Helped me greatly with endurance and fitness levels that I was able to start running and complete a 5k.

It's all about making progression. Don't push too hard or go balls to the wall. Just start with what you can do and slowly increase from there.
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    Shoveling snow is hard work. Lot's of people die every year from shoveling snow. Don't compare working out to that. Use it as inspiration to get on your plan.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Shoveling snow is different from walking on a treadmill, a light jog, or yoga. You'll be fine. Start slow.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Shoveling snow is hard work. Lot's of people die every year from shoveling snow. Don't compare working out to that. Use it as inspiration to get on your plan.

This is exactly what I was going to write.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,166 Member
    Options
    I'm quite active, but shoveling snow is one of the most intense exercises I've done!

I've shoveled heavy, wet snow while wearing a heart rate monitor. The calorie burn per hour - one measure of how hard the work is - exceeded the burn rate from spin class, rowing hard but below competitive race pace (I row on water and machines - race pace is close to heart rate max), or biking on a heavy hybrid bike at >10mph!

So, +1 to the idea that you can get some exercise, just start slowly with something that's not as intense (!), then progress gradually as you are able. I wasn't always able to do all the things I do now, but over time, lots has become possible . . . and you're much younger than I (I'm 60 y/o);
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    Yes I was scared to read all the stats about how many people die of cardiac arrest shovelling snow!
    The cold, the upper arm stuff, the heaviness of the snow!
    OP do a progressive fitness routine and go to your doc for a pre checkup!
  • xNausicaa
    xNausicaa Posts: 61 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Thank you all so much. I never knew people have died of cardiac arrest shoveling! I just got really paniced, I thought something was really wrong. Thank you all so much I really do appreciate it and when I do workout I will take it slow.
  • steuartcj
    steuartcj Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Can be very tough on your back also..