The Kitchen Safe - time lock for treats and other goodies!

Options

Replies

• ritzbits190
    ritzbits190 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    This would be good for me for cookies. I don't bring cookies in the house cause I always overeat them. With this I would take like 1-2 cookies and set it to open in 24 hours lol. That's the only think I can think of that I could use it for. Still won't buy it though.
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    No way. The thought of having something in the house that I can't have until such and such a time would make me want that something really bad, then I'd constantly think about it and end up completely overindulging in it.

Having whatever I have in the house, knowing I can eat it whenever I want and knowing I can limit myself because I can have them whenever I want works just fine. There are currently two one-pound Hershey bars in my refrigerator. They are right there when I open the door and I have had a total of ZERO of them. There are always cookies, chips, ice cream and various forms of chocolate in the house and I do have some, sometimes. Not always and they are not ever forbidden. My brain doesn't do forbidden. It's why I was an unruly teenager. ;)
  • tns56364
    tns56364 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I remember these from shark tank. Personally, I don't need them.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    @jgnatca posted this link in another topic

http://www.dudeiwantthat.com/gear/gadgets/the-kitchen-safe-time-lock-vice-guard.asp

I must say I'm intrigued! Would you buy this, or use it if given one as a gift?
    Thanks. Now all I can envision is cookies. Soft, warm, gooey...chocolate pieces melting in my hand. Why eat six when you can eat more?!? Self control where art thou?!?

Okay, seriously. I don't need it. I can take a Boston Cream Donut, perform a donutectomy on it, let it sit for a whole day and then throw it out.

• CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    I like the idea of being able to lock up a teenager's cell phone or game system controller when they're grounded but my kids are little so I've got some time before I have to worry about that!
    That's a good idea.

• CaffeinatedConfectionist
    Options
    I used to joke years ago about how I needed something like this. Now that it's actually for sale, meh. I don't need or want it. I guess my mindset, self-control and relationship to food has changed over the last few years. But if some people find it helpful as a tool, why not?
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    Would you buy this, or use it if given one as a gift?

No, I would not use this. I don't really have an issue with willpower or moderation.
    It seems like something that might be fun/useful for teaching a younger child to wait for something they want since they could watch the timer count down.

• ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    I sleep walk when I'm really stressed. I've woken up with half-eaten cinnamon rolls in the bed before. That's the only reason I can think of to get something like this. When I'm awake, my self-control is really good. (Currently, not overly-stressed, and am sleeping well, too!)
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    I think it's a short term solution for a long term problem.

I think it would work, like apparently it is for the people leaving reviews of the product, until they get sick of it. I think it's that they're choosing self-control on a more subconscious level by having purchased it because as others have mentioned, what's from taking the entire thing out when the timer goes off?
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »
    The least they could do is make the safe opaque so you can't see the cookies. Or maybe they did that on purpose. It would make the likelihood of smashing it so you could get to the cookies more likely. Then you'd have to go out and buy another one. And then it would happen again and again. And by the end of the year, you've bought, like, five. A moneymaker.

They have opaque ones!! :D

There are actually quite a few color choices. I myself favor the clear case, red lid

• booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Oh, sure, I can see myself using this! I'd put the cookies in it in the morning. Set the timer for that evening, when I'd plan on taking out TWO cookies for my evening snack.

And then I'd obsess about the locked up "forbidden" cookies all day and when the timer went off, I'd take them all out.

Pass.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    There could be 373636 devices and inventions to lock up the food but it all comes down to self control.
    Learning portion control and moderation are important and stuff like this wouldn't even be thought of.
    I practice both ( it takes a lot of practice ) and could have an entire cookie factory in my kitchen and wouldn't have a problem . I know what calories I have to work with and make it work.
    Someone would just drive to the market if they really wanted treats bad enough and the cookies where locked up. Stuff like this teaches nothing.
    Its laughable and ridiculous. If someone wants something like staying within their calorie goal bad enough then they must work for it. There's no easy way out or quick fixes
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    If I need that, then I'm not ready to change how I eat. If I'm not ready, the food safe won't help.

The point (for me at least) is that I could have that second slice of pizza, or piece of cake, or even cheese and apple, but I choose not to. I'd go nutso if some person, gadget, or diet told me I couldn't have ____.

I changed how I eat by not having trigger foods in the house.

So you made the choice not to have them. You're still the one making a choice every time you buy groceries, not some device, and someday you'll probably be able to have those "trigger" foods in the house again. Hell, to use your Ben 'n Jerry's example, you could buy the single serving cups, and see if that satisfied you and worked with your goals.

I do buy the single serve cups and am able to moderate them, partly because they do not come in my favorite flavors.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    thorsmom01 wrote: »
    There could be 373636 devices and inventions to lock up the food but it all comes down to self control.
    Learning portion control and moderation are important and stuff like this wouldn't even be thought of.
    I practice both ( it takes a lot of practice ) and could have an entire cookie factory in my kitchen and wouldn't have a problem . I know what calories I have to work with and make it work.
    Someone would just drive to the market if they really wanted treats bad enough and the cookies where locked up. Stuff like this teaches nothing.
    Its laughable and ridiculous. If someone wants something like staying within their calorie goal bad enough then they must work for it. There's no easy way out or quick fixes

Regarding the bolded, actually, studies have shown people eat more candy if it is visible and close than when it is further away or out of site.

If I don't have trigger foods in the house, I don't think about them. This strategy works for me and many others. What's ridiculous is to suggest that your strategy is the only way to achieve a calorie goal.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    I like the idea of being able to lock up a teenager's cell phone or game system controller when they're grounded but my kids are little so I've got some time before I have to worry about that!

They have found ways around this. You said your kids are little now but here is a heads up for when they get bigger-
    They have a duplicate cell phone and pop the sim card out of the first one and pop it into the second. They then can call the provider and have their service temporarily swapped to the other phone.

And they also buy cheapy controllers as back ups. So when the parent takes away the controller they use the back up ones.

Where there's a will, there's a way !! Lol !

And the same saying holds true for this lock box. If someone wants something badly , they will find a way to make it happen. If my cookies where locked up and I wanted one , I could just go buy more. Or if I really wanted to remain focused on my goals, I could control myself by using portion control and moderation so wouldn't need this device.
    The lock box is pointless
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    thorsmom01 wrote: »

As for driving to the store to get a treat, I could do that today (since I keep certain foods out of the house), so the device wouldn't change that. I actually used to do some late night runs for single servings of ice cream and cashew nuts. I enjoyed those as much as I could until I didn't need them anymore. Now I can barely get out of bed to get a treat from the cold kitchen sometimes :)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Nope. I want to make those decisions myself.
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,120 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I could see how this would be useful. I used to take a once-a-day injection of long-acting insulin, and I could use the lockbox to prevent accidentally double dosing (did I take my Lantus? Lemme go take it just to be safe... when double-dosing on insulin could easily kill me and not taking the long-acting insulin could also kill me) by locking away the long-acting insulin once I inject it. It could also be used to prevent children from accessing medications/supplements.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    abatonfan wrote: »
    I could see how this would be useful. I used to take a once-a-day injection of long-acting insulin, and I could use the lockbox to prevent accidentally double dosing (did I take my Lantus? Lemme go take it just to be safe...) by locking away the long-acting insulin once I inject it. It could also be used to prevent children from accessing medications/supplements.

Sure. That use makes sense.