After babies

Options
Wasn't really sure which category would be best for this topic, but here goes nothing I have a 1.5 year old and a 3 week old with my last I got up to 250 pounds after having him I weighed in at 233 I haven't been 160 since 6th grade (I thought I was big then.) I have no motivation to do anything, but I want to get healthy for my boys so I can play with with them without getting tired within minutes. I guess I'm just looking for someone to help motivate me. I would like to get down to 140 preferably within a year, I'm trying to figure out how I can do this in a healthy way considering I bf. It's freezing out, and I don't have a babysitter for a gym. Someone help...

Replies

• samthepanda
    samthepanda Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Firstly be kind to yourself - you have a 3 week old! When my lo was 3 weeks I thought I'd done well to get dressed never mind thinking about weight loss. You are going to be tired you have a 3 week old!
    Next, I'd suggest small goals,don't think 'I have to be 140 in a year', more 'I'd like to lose 10lbs by...'. A big goal can be totally overwhelming. Seek advice from your health visitor about diet and cals needed while breastfeeding. For now I'd say just try to eat healthy as much as you can. It doesn't have to b fancy - beans on wholemeal toast, scrambled egg etc. Can you get out with the pram a bit even for a short walk each day?
    Add me as a friend if u want. I am an older mum but have a 12 year old and one who's 3. I lost 70lbs and have kept it off. Its hard but worth it.
  • shezza4mobee
    shezza4mobee Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Hi!

Congrats with your new baby. And hat off to you for caring for 2 kids under 2. Just that alone makes you a rocking and brave Mom!
    Secondly, I agree with samthepanda, take it easy....baby steps!
    Considering you're still breastfeeding, I would suggest you set your calories accordingly, and maybe start with a 0.5 lb to 1 lb weight loss. No more, just take it in easy. Make sure in your calories, you include not only what you need, but what your baby needs to, so nutritional foods and calcium.
    Also, being a Mom you need your rest, not only for yourself, but the kiddos and honestly, lack of sleep can cause havoc on your hunger cues and can halter your weight loss journey.
    And also think of ways to incorporate that include the kids. I used to love short walks when the weather was not rainy or snowy, just bundle the baby up real tight. Also baby yoga, or weight lifting using your baby. As for your 1.5 year old, create activities that incorporate him. Like step moves, kicking moves, etc.
    Finally, when the weather clears a little (and that is how I lost my first 50 lbs) is walking to the park and pushing my kids on the swing, running after them etc.
    Take it easy, don't be harsh on yourself! Your number 1 priority is the kiddos! Just do a little at a time! :)
  • Hfeff
    Hfeff Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I have a three year old and a five month old. I can't really use the excuse of a newborn anymore. I have to motivated to lose weight. I'm at the heaviest I've ever been. I've made some changes but am still eating junk. I need to do this soon.
  • evi1984
    evi1984 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with you mamma. I'm at the heaviest I've been at 184lbs and can't even use the baby as an excuse because I only gained about 20lbs with him. 80 percent of weight loss is what we put in our body and 20% is exercise. I have put that rule to the test yet again and have lost about 6 lbs already since Jan 2. The first two weeks are the worst as I love sweets. What I'm finding is that the most important thing is to prepare your meals ahead of time so that you always have a healthy option in the fridge that you can quickly warm up or snack on. In about a week up to two weeks I found I wasn't craving sugar and for the first time in my life I was craving salads. I've got so much more energy now and my body doesn't look swollen. I'm still trying to get to the gym, which Is my goal this week just to give me some me time. Start slow and drink lots of water you will be amazed on how your eating habits will change. Good Luck
  • katty20
    katty20 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm Kat 23 I have a 4 year old and 3 month old I'm at my heaviest at 245lbs I wish I'd started eating healthier sooner after new baby it makes it so much harder to kick my sugar addiction now :( my gym has a daycare service, limited times but still helpful, are there any gyms that offer that? Exercise with baby, helps develop their muscles as well as yours ;) at 3 weeks my biggest goal would be eating healthier and getting used to calorie counting rather than worry too much about workouts, that can come when baby is older and easier to play with, makes exercise fun. My four year old and 3 month old love dancing, it makes them laugh and gets their energy out and it's a good start. If you need a motivation friend I'm here! I definitely could use motivation now and then (maybe more darn sugar cravings) lol. Just give me an add if ya like. :)
  • LittleMissC0untry
    Options
    Congrats on your new addition! Mine is almost 2, so I'm not sure if he counts as a baby ;) but I'd love to help motivate one another!
  • lisa_hat87
    lisa_hat87 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Congrats. Take it easy on yourself your baby is still brand new, don't try and exercise until your baby Is at least 6 weeks old, your body is recovering. After that there's plenty of fitness videos on you tube which you can do when the little ones nap. Good luck on your journey! Im just starting to and have a 2,4,5,6 and 10 year old
  • beretta82
    beretta82 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the little one! You are making a great choice by wanting to get in shape for your children! Don't beat yourself up! You have 2 babies, that is so tough. What is something small you can do to start out? I love small victories, they help to push us towards the bigger ones. Could you incorporate a few healthier foods to your diet? You don't have to go crazy healthy starting out, just take baby steps. Add me I would love to help in any way I can!! Good luck!
  • samanthamccartney1
    samanthamccartney1 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hi!
    Congratulations on your new baby! My youngest is 10 months old now and I am finally getting around to losing weight properly. I did try whilst I was breastfeeding but to be honest it wasn't doing me any favours, I was tired and on top of that - hungry. Enjoy your baby and try to go out for a nice walk if it isn't too cold :) I'm at my heaviest I've ever been and I'm not entirely sure having 3 children (10 months, 5 and 6) helped, as it was the maternity leave that added all my weight on! I had time to bake yummy treats... Anyway, onwards and upwards now and at 10 months post partum, I feel this is a good time for myself to do it. 11 days and counting!
  • Wantstobefitagain
    Wantstobefitagain Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Totally hear you! Kids are wonderful but they wreak havoc on our bodies. Mine are 8 and 6. Like a typical mom j put everybody else's needs first. It's time to hit the restart. I've got about 25 to lose. Feel free to add me.

• annied000
    annied000 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your newborn bundle of joy!!! If you are breastfeeding, I'd be careful with cutting calories so soon before you've established your supply. Maybe focus on cutting out (or down) on whatever your unhealthiest snack is. For example, if you drink soda everyday, try cutting that down or eliminate it completely. Also, try adding a small activity each day... Most important, be kind to yourself at this early stage!

I have 5 children. My youngest just turned 4 months. I am also exclusively breastfeeding and have just began cutting down on my calories. I have about 27 lbs to lose... Anyone, feel free to add me... I'm on everyday :)