Favorite Aldi Foods

Options
We just got an Aldi and I have been a couple times. I love their Gluten Free line and have tried some of their fit and active to.

Replies

• kdcomstock89
    kdcomstock89 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I shop almost exclusively at Aldi's! I love everything and you can't beat the prices. They usually have great produce for really cheap as well.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    I really like their black bean and corn salsa. I'm maybe able to go there once a year... :disappointed:
  • minniestar55
    minniestar55 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I use their Specially Selected Jalfrezi curry sauce when I make chicken curry; fruit & veg is good but I only buy 1 or 2 days worth at a time as I find it can go off quickly. 5% fat lean beef mince, whole chickens for roasting, diced chicken breast.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    Aldi fanatic here. I have found everything by Specially Selected to be excellent, particularly their frozen mahi mahi filets, coffee, cheeses and Milano knockoffs. All of the snack foods (chips, packaged cookies) are great - tortilla chips are 99 cents for heaven's sake!! I like just about every single thing in the place, including non-food specials like throw pillows, sheets, fitness supplies, cookware, gloves, etc. etc.

My only complaint about Aldi is that it makes shopping in a regular grocery store borderline infuriating.

I follow a couple Aldi enthusiasts on Instagram. Aldi also has a good website for weekly specials.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    I don't go in there often, but when I do I always grab some roasted red pepper hummus. So good! The wines I have tried aren't too bad, either.
  • karahm78
    karahm78 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    LOVE pretty much everything Specially Selected, such as the frozen sockeye salmon, ahi tuna, and mahi. They recently had a seared ahi tuna that was great!

I also like the Fit & Active light ranch, the organic 2% milk, and the baked or multigrain chips. The peppercorn pork tenderloins are great. PRODUCE!! My Aldi recently added a kale salad kit (with dressing, cranberries, sunflower seeds) that is GREAT with the bagged salads.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Options
    Pretty much anything.
    Out of all the years I have shopped there, I have only bought 2 things that were awful. Some breakfast sandwiches... No matter how long or how hot I cooked them, they were wet, frozen mush.
    And some mozzarella cheese thay was funky. I think it was Swiss cheese that was mismarked.
  • MegWaymire
    MegWaymire Posts: 10 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    LOVE Aldi. Did you know that they are a German company and owned by the same parent company as Trader Joe's? You will find a lot of Aldi items already in the MFP database, so the barcode scanner tool if you log on your phone is super easy.

Otherwise, my Aldi favorites:

- Their Fit 'n Active light string cheese is the best! Some string cheese tastes gross and rubbery, and sometime light ones can taste a bit bland or have a dry texture. This one is great and only 50 calories.
    - Dairy! Their cheeses (Happy Farms brand) are all good, cottage cheese is tasty, and the milk and eggs are the lowest price allowed by law.
    - Their prices on canned goods can't be beat. When I was in college, I could make a giant pot of chili that would feed me for a week for less than $10. They have some low sodium options too!!
    - The bagged greens are also a sweet deal. Baby spinach (in the coolers) is twice the price at the grocery store that's directly next to my Aldi, and you get get kale and arugula too.
    - Anything "Specially Selected" has been tasty. I normally like getting those just to try something new!
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Love it. Dislikes are:
    - Their milk tastes funky/watery.
    - Their chicken has a lot of added sodium water. Compared to Costco its worlds apart.
    - Sliced ham tastes salty with a foul taste (to me).
    - Their salad dressing is watery
    - Cans of veggies seem to have more water content in them. Less veggies in a can.
    - Their avocados take forever to ripen. I think they store them in too cold of temp.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I always start my grocery shopping at Aldi. I can't get everything I want there and their produce is kind of hit or miss but I get what I can before going to my local store to finish my list.
  • GRILLZGIRL
    GRILLZGIRL Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Love it. I just shopped there today. They have expanded the Fit and Active line where I live and I buy the 100 calorie snack packs as well as other products. They taste just like Oreos, give me a sweet fix, and I don't go over budget.

Good: (staples I buy there but there are lots more yummy stuff)
    Greek yogurt
    Almond milk
    Frozen fish and shrimp
    Frozen veggies
    Whole wheat bread
    Triscuits (their version)
    Blue corn tortillas (organic but its all they have blue)
    Sweet potato chips (organic but only offered as such)
    Protein bars (Fit and Active)
    Protein shakes (Fit and Active)
    Some fresh veggies (as others have stated they can go out of date quicker; also some you have to buy in bulk - sometimes I don't need 6 zuchinni or 12 apples for example)
    Bagged salad and spinach
    Multi-grain Cheerios (their version)
    Cheese (specialty cheese is fabulous as is regular cheese)
    String cheese (50 calories!)
    Wraps
    Milk
    Eggs
    Coffee Creamer
    Pop Tarts (their version)
    Every thing I've tried Specialty Select so far
    Pita thins
    More I can't think of I'm sure

Bad:
    Kcup pods - coffee is weak
    Turkey tenderloin (Fit and Active) - too much sodium and water added
    Some fresh veggies spoil quickly

If you are gluten free or organic, they have a great selection of these products as well.
  • arameni
    arameni Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I love their waffles. I eat them every day.
    Their donut store blend coffee is very good, but too finely ground for my french press.
    I also buy soy milk, greek yogurt, and cottage cheese there.
    But my favorite is the Spekulatius cookies! They are speculaas cookies and they are so amazing!
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    Love it. Dislikes are:
    - Their milk tastes funky/watery.
    - Their chicken has a lot of added sodium water. Compared to Costco its worlds apart.
    - Sliced ham tastes salty with a foul taste (to me).
    - Their salad dressing is watery
    - Cans of veggies seem to have more water content in them. Less veggies in a can.
    - Their avocados take forever to ripen. I think they store them in too cold of temp.

Ha, I disagree with all of this (vociferously) except the meat stuff, cuz I don't eat meat.

• slyall08
    slyall08 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the insight, I'm excited about trying more of their stuff!
  • stevieb2309
    stevieb2309 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Pretty much anything.
    Out of all the years I have shopped there, I have only bought 2 things that were awful. Some breakfast sandwiches... No matter how long or how hot I cooked them, they were wet, frozen mush.
    And some mozzarella cheese thay was funky. I think it was Swiss cheese that was mismarked.

Breakfast sandwiches that are pre made aren't exactly the most tasteful things in general really so Imo you got what you'd expect. The mozzarella in the liquid pack is usually decent. Go do a proper shop and see what you think then the foods actually decent and a lot of healthy options
  • stevieb2309
    stevieb2309 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    The cottage cheese, beef medallions, 5-10% mince, Turkey steaks, salads, speciality orange juice, tuna are all as good as anywhere and cost less that other chains.