daily calorie deficit??? help!

Options
Very confused on this even after Googling many times. I used a calculator on caloriesperhour.com and found out to lose the amount of weight I would like to lose in 45 days I will need to have a daily calorie deficit of 1739....what in the world do I do with this number given me? Lol seriously so not understanding right now. Help please!

Replies

• kajun_at_work
    kajun_at_work Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    You go to the goals section and look at the number for Calories burned From Normal Daily Activity and subtract that number you got from it and see that you wont be able to eat very much probably.

Just set it to lose 2 lbs per week and MFP will factor in a 1000 calorie per day deficit for you.
  • Elissamf
    Elissamf Posts: 5
    Options
    take the calories you burn in a day and subtract that number. You'll probably end up with like 700 calories a day though?? may wanna adjust your goal!! or work out tons and tons to get a few extra calories.
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    I believe that would mean you would lose a lb. every 2 days, which doesn't sound possible or healthy, but maybe I'm not understanding the numbers you gave.
  • BethanyMasters
    BethanyMasters Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I actually wrote a blog today about how I calculate my daily and weekly deficit to roughly predict how much weight I should have lost for a week.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Ziaki

Hope that helps some.

Know that you need to have a deficit 3500 calories to lose one pound. And realize that its not really healthy to lose more than 2 pounds a week unless you are severely over weight and / or dropping water weight.

So with that in mind you can set realistic deficit goals for yourself.
  • SimplyDeLish
    SimplyDeLish Posts: 539
    Options
    That's way too much of a calorie deficit to be healthy. My advice - eat healthy, exercise, and make sure your net calorie intake is at least 1200. It may take you more than 6 weeks to reach your goal...but it will be a sustainable and maintainable loss. After all you don't want to have to go through this again!

Stay healthy!
  • Heatherbelle_87
    Heatherbelle_87 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Honestly if you are trying to lose that quickly you arent going to do it in a very healthy way unless you have over 100 lbs to lose. Recalculate your goal to around 2 lbs per week on MFP. It looks like you have 32 lbs left to lose. Which would take 16 weeks or 4 months. Youre giving yourself 6.5 weeks so 13 is realistic 15 is pushing it. I may have lost my weight quickly by MFP standards but A) I had more to lose B) Im also doing strength training and muscle toning C) I KNOW it will slow down closer to my goal and I dont mind that to prevent/reduce the sagging of my skin.
  • rachellepilcher
    Options
    to be healthy while losing you should not have a daily deficit of more than 1000 calories on a regular basis (occasionally is ok) you have to decide what is more important to you...losing the weight faster and risk gaining it back more easily or lose slowly and be healthy and better equipped to maintain the loss.
  • taysuh
    taysuh Posts: 9
    Options
    Could it be that the site you used was also adding in the BMR?

Edit: nevermind. I just went to the site, but the only calculator I saw was for figuring out the number of calories you shouldn't exceed to achieve weight loss.
  • KaySoFocused
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Yes I definitely needed to recalculate
  • KaySoFocused
    Options
    I actually wrote a blog today about how I calculate my daily and weekly deficit to roughly predict how much weight I should have lost for a week.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Ziaki

Hope that helps some.

Know that you need to have a deficit 3500 calories to lose one pound. And realize that its not really healthy to lose more than 2 pounds a week unless you are severely over weight and / or dropping water weight.

So with that in mind you can set realistic deficit goals for yourself.

Thanks so much! This was really helpful and easier to understand...:-) I will definitely be using this method in the future