Nursing Student..Do I have to explain?

Options
I'm a nursing student, working on my RN. I work full time, go to school full time..I'm not alone right?
Let's make time to get fit and brag about it! Who's in?

Replies

• kaelynAvery
    kaelynAvery Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Oh dear... Lol. This is funny lol nursing school takes over your life!! I gained 25lbs in nursing school. (lpn) I am hoping to get into mnu to get my RN starting in August. I'm using the next 8 months to get fit and healthy so I don't gain another 25 on top of this weight! Take care of yourself but pass nursing school! U have the rest of your life to get fit. Don't stress yourself out working out too. Just try to eat as healthy as possible! :-) it's hard enough surviving nursing school don't make it harder!
  • StacyChrz
    StacyChrz Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Yahoo! good for you. I graduated nursing school in August 2015. I decided in March that it was time to get healthier. I too was working full time while going to school so I understand how difficult the time crunch can be. I want to be a better role model for my patients and to be able to say "I know losing weight is hard work, but I've done it and so can you". When I started this healthier lifestyle I was 39 years old, 5'2" and 251.8 lbs. I lost 30lbs by the time I graduated in August and have been working at a slower rate since then(I got married in November so I didn't want to have to alter my gown too much). I am proud to say that today I am 40 years old and 210.8lbs. I still work my full time job and am looking for a nursing job. I have to admit I've been slow about putting out resumes.

You are absolutely not alone!
  • Champshire_18
    Champshire_18 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    StacyChrz, that's amazing! Congrats on both getting married and graduating. (: I'm in my lpn now, I pack my dinner, one of those cool like salads in a mason jar pinterest things..which totally works and is so so yummy! And carrying that bookbag counts as working out right? HAHA! Thanks girl for the support!
  • StacyChrz
    Options
    Carrying those books totally counts! Thanks, by the way. Last year was a great year and I'm looking forward to continuing the momentum. If you ever need to talk let me know. Feel free to send me a friend request.
  • LaceyD21
    LaceyD21 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Omg I'm in the same boat and I thought I was all alone!! I work full time and go to nursing school at nights full time!!
  • Tldavis3s
    Tldavis3s Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I just found this, I'm an RN student that's coming up on the end of my first semester. I have a toddler and a lot of personal problems happened when I started school this January. I gained around 20 lbs!!!
  • wonko221
    wonko221 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Congratulations and thanks to all the nurses here! My mom, aunt, and sister are all RNs, and i have a true appreciation for the working nurses!

Might be worth clarifying that weight loss doesn't require time. You just need to manage caloric intake, and keep it at a deficit. If you choose to exercise, you will likely feel better, and also increase the amount of calories you can eat in a day and stay at deficit.

But when you're stressed about your studies and worried you don't have time to exercise, take some comfort in knowing that you can simply monitor your calories to make the difference. And that doesn't mean giving up things you love; simply eat them in mindful moderation.

I still eat fries from time to time. But when i'm out for chicken wings, i often go with carrot sticks instead of fries. I still make mashed potatoes, but now i use 1/2 potatoes and 1/2 cauliflower (the recipe is otherwise the same). I serve myself smaller portions, knowing that i'm prone to cleaning my plate, but once i've finished my first serving, i'm less likely to go back for another serving.

Congratulations again, good luck, and thanks. What you do makes a real difference for those you do it for. I wish you nothing but the happiest, most fulfilling career!
  • positivepowers
    positivepowers Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    I'm a 20+ year nurse and I vividly remember the nursing school days! Good luck to all of you budding nurses out there!
  • StacyChrz
    Options
    I graduated from Nursing School in August and managed to lose 20 lbs during my final semester through logging my food and fitting in a little bit of exercise. I was working full time while going to school full time. Do what you can, start your day with a healthy choice and that'll help you make better choices as the day goes on.