Is 30-40 minutes exercise enough?

Options
napilibay
napilibay Posts: 121 Member
edited January 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
I'm 168, 5'5 and do about 30-40 min cardio dvds 5x week. I typically burn 400 calories with my polar, and eat 1200-1500. My weight loss is extremely slow and wondering if I need to exercise longer?

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    weight loss is slow...that's just the way it is...

#realisticexpectations
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    A calorie deficit is what is going to create weight loss. Exercise can be part of that, but it isn't required.

Weight loss isn't supposed to be fast. When you say "extremely slow," what do you mean?
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    A calorie deficit is what is going to create weight loss. Exercise can be part of that, but it isn't required.

Weight loss isn't supposed to be fast. When you say "extremely slow," what do you mean?

Yes, what do you mean by extremely slow?
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    How long have you been at this? How much have you lost? Like the other posters here, I'm trying to figure out what you mean by extremely slow.
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    I cut at one pound a MONTH. Now that's slow. But I know it's all fat.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Need to do let cardio, and replace with pumping iron.
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    napilibay wrote: »
    I'm 168, 5'5 and do about 30-40 min cardio dvds 5x week. I typically burn 400 calories with my polar, and eat 1200-1500. My weight loss is extremely slow and wondering if I need to exercise longer?

That means you're netting 800-1100 calories a day. That's too low. Your numbers aren't right. You're probably not weighing and measuring your food properly. You should be losing at the least 1-2lb a week.

Your exercise is fine.
  • spzjlb
    spzjlb Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Sounds good to me. If the weight is coming off, that is wonderful. As the others said, loss is slow, but we don't know what your data are.
  • napilibay
    napilibay Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I'm measuring to a t and losing half a pound per week.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

Open your diary
  • shadows2424
    shadows2424 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    My weight loss was slow to. I only lost 3 pounds in a month when it should have been 8. Sometimes things are slow and apparently the slower you lose the more likely your body is to keep the weight off when you're done. That said you workout a little less than i do and like i said i average a little less than a pound per week. I would just stick to it and realize that you may just have slow results.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    I cut at one pound a MONTH. Now that's slow. But I know it's all fat.

This is me also, there have been a couple of months where I actually lost 2. I know others might consider that slow but it works for me.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I think 30-40 min is plenty as long as you are working hard. I also use DVD's, Leslie Sansone. I work hard. I am using her Burn Body Fat 3 mile with 3 lb weights. It takes 45 minutes and it is a great work out.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    If I didn't lose weight slowly, while getting to eat more, I would have never stuck with CICO. I love eating and CICO let's me eat everything. Win win win situation.
  • Schila64
    Schila64 Posts: 240 Member
    Options

Open your diary
    What do you mean by "Open Your Diary"
  • lemonlionheart
    lemonlionheart Posts: 580 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

'Measuring' or weighing?

ETA: half a pound per week isn't bad!

3zos3gsfsmym.jpg
  • allenpriest
    allenpriest Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    There's a big difference between weighing and measuring.
  • allenpriest
    allenpriest Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    Schila64 wrote: »

Open your diary
    What do you mean by "Open Your Diary"

There's a setting that allows others to see your food diary. Folks who ask for help are usually asked to open thier diary so the community can see how they are logging. It simply provides more information for the community to offer suggestions.

(I don't want suggestions and value my privacy so mine is not open. )
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    you lose weight in the kitchen, not the gym.

if you are only losing .5 a week (which is still a good rate of loss, by the way) on 1200 cals, i would wager you are eating more than you think you are.
  • WendyLaubach
    WendyLaubach Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    If you don't count walking the dog, which technically is cardio but so low-intensity that it barely counts, I do about 50 minutes of exercise a day, when injury or illness don't interfere. At 211 lbs. I'm also on a 1400-calorie daily limit. I'm losing faster than 0.5/week, even during weeks when I can't exercise: 34 lbs. in about 11 weeks (though the rate is slowing now). The exercise helps, and is good for me generally, but it's the calories that do it. When I couldn't exercise for a while, I dropped from 1600 to 1400 calories, and that did the trick.