Chicken

Options
Hey guys. How do you prepare your chicken? I'm getting bored of plain chicken or chicken with hot sauce.

Also, wondering how many grams of protein, carbs, and fat I should be consuming. I'm currently 207, looking to cut weight.

Also, what kind of dressing and/or add ins are the best for salads. I eat one every day for lunch and they are getting boring.

Replies

• juliegilburd
    juliegilburd Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I love to top my chicken with rosemary, pepper, oregano and/or garlic powder and then slow cook it in the oven (in just a little broth, lemon juice and olive oil) or saute it in a non-stick pan so little to no added oils are necessary. It turns out so flavorful and juicy!

MFP will calculate an ideal ratio of protein, carbs and fat - I started with the default as a guideline. If you can't see that info on your phone app, try using the desktop version; sometimes people can't see all the options if they're using their phone.

I like a bit of balsamic vinegar with olive oil, with black pepper and seasonings. For pre-made, vinaigrettes are "usually" a healthier option than dressings like ranch, caesar, blue cheese, but watch for excessive sugar content (or worse, fake sugar, ew. LOL)
  • 46carmen
    46carmen Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Shredded chicken in the crockpot:

-Chicken tacos or fajitas or salad
    -Chicken with steamed broccoli over cheese
    -Chicken mixed w/diced onions, bell peppers, celery and lemon juice. You can eat it with salad, bread or crackers.

I
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    White chicken chili (look up recipe online). Nice on cold days. Have you ever tried raspberry vinagrette dressing?
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    I love chicken and salsa in the crock pot.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I just don't eat chicken. It's boring.
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    Chicken and salsa in pressure cooker. A whole chicken in the pressure cooker.
  • PiSquared
    PiSquared Posts: 148 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Chicken is nearly a blank slate it the kitchen. You can do almost anything with it.

I'm actually having chicken 3 times this week. Tonight I made Asian glazed chicken thighs (http://www.myrecipes.com/m/recipe/asian-glazed-chicken-thighs )

Wednesday I'm planning on making spicy basil chicken (http://www.myrecipes.com/m/recipe/spicy-basil-chicken)

Friday I'm going to make these burgers using ground chicken breast. I chop the chicken and toss it in the food processor to grind it. (http://www.myrecipes.com/m/recipe/turkey-burgers-2)
  • PiSquared
    PiSquared Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Here's an entree salad for you, with chicken!

Start with a bed of salad greens. I usually just use a basic spring mix. Top with cooked chicken breast (chop into smallish pieces or shred), sliced strawberries, walnuts, and crumbled goat cheese. Finish with a nice vinaigrette. I love Brianna's Blush Wine Vinaigrette. If you're feeling particularly lazy (or when it's hot and don't want to have to heat something ), you can pick up a rotisserie chicken and use that.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I love to roast a whole chicken (did so tonight) or a chicken breast with bones and skin.

I also love this: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/chicken-tagine-with-apricots-and-almonds-234649 -- I've played around with this recipe a bunch of different ways. Another version is: http://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/6555-chicken-tagine-with-olives-and-preserved-lemons

Shredded chicken in a pasta with lots of veg is also tasty.
  • space_case
    space_case Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    How I am eating chicken this week--hoisin glazed chicken, chicken pot pies, coconut crusted chicken. Last week I had sweet and sour chicken and chicken cacciatore.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Roasted a whole chicken tonight. Ate some of it (mix of breast and wing) with sweet potato, beets, and cauliflower.
  • Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I love to stuff a whole roaster with celery, carrots, onion, lemons, and rosemary and cook it in the oven. I can get a couple nights of leftovers off of it, and then I can use the carcass to make bone broth.

I also like to take chicken drumsticks and rub them with smoked paprika, smoked sea salt, garlic powder, black pepper, and poultry seasoning and bake them in the toaster oven. The skin keeps the meat moist and gives it a really nice taste. I usually save the bones and freeze them in ziplocks to add to bone broths.

I usually bread tenderloins and skinless breasts in cornmeal and homemade seasoned breadcrumbs and pan fry them in coconut oil. I don't buy these as much since they're blander, are usually more expensive, and don't have anything to contribute to broths.