Help adjusting my macros to lose weight

Options
I've gone from 270 to 230 since August, and my weight loss has slowed down.. I get that it can slow down, but I'm using the default settings on here to count my macros, and from what I've read I need to up my protein, and lower my carbs a bit more... I know I can do better, but I can't increase my protein without fat going up way too much, as the protein I get is from chicken and other meats... My biggest issue is I was raised on fast food, I didn't try a fruit or salad until high school, I don't eat veggies either.. I can eat a baked potato and force down a smoothie such as banana/strawberry, again force it down, but I CANT eat a banana or strawberry, it's awful to me! I've tried grapes, oranges, tomatoes etc and I definitely have an issue with the texture.. I'm trying to be more open minded, and willing to try anything, so if anyone has suggestions on how to up my protein/lower carbs/not go high in fat, that would be great! Right now I'm at 40% carbs/30 protein/35 fat, I'm wondering how to get the carbs down a bit and protein up, if anyone has advice without yelling at me for being such a picky eater, and helpful advice, I would appreciate it! I am considering a nutritionist but looking for ideas on here first :-)

Replies

• Lizzypb88
    Lizzypb88 Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I take vitamins daily as I know I'm missing out just FYI
  • dcshima
    dcshima Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Open your diary or give more details on your daily calories, have you looked up your TDEE? Your protein should be 40 or 35, your carbs 35 or 30 and your fats should be the remainder.

I get it you didnt eat your fruit / veg growing up, but you are 27 now....not to be mean, but honestly think you need to get over it.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Fish. 0% Greek yogurt. Egg whites (or whole if you prefer). 1% cottage cheese. All are sources of high protein, low fat. Legumes are great for protein, no fat though high in carbs. I have nothing against fat but if you have a need to keep it "low": skinless chicken breasts versus skin on or dark meat or wings. Try pork tenderloin versus pork shoulder. 93% lean ground beef versus a higher % of fat. Sirloin versus ribeye. London broil versus chuck roast.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Reduce Protein, Increase Healthy fats, keep carbs low.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    It's your total calorie deficit that will result in weight loss, but learning to eat a greater variety of fruits and veggies will help you get the nutrition your body needs. So keep trying! How about Chinese stir fry or Indian curried vegetables? Tomato soup?? You'll find some way you like them!

As for changing your macros, MFP defaults to 50% carbs, 20% protein, 30% fat, which is consistent with medical guidelines.

If you want to change those goals for a while just to see how you feel, go into Goals/ Calories & Macronutrient Goals, and enter new percentages. Maybe try raising your protein to 30% and reducing your fat to 20%.

But be aware that your body will just excrete excess protein that it doesn't need; and your body DOES need some fat to function properly.
  • Lizzypb88
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Q
  • Lizzypb88
    Options
    Rose and kpk- thanks those are good ideas, I will try egg whites, and Chinese stir fry, I kind of assumed anything Chinese was a big no no
  • Lizzypb88
    Options
    And of course any general advice on different foods to try that I haven't thought of!

Here's everything I eat (varies day to day of course)
    Yogurt, light string cheese, burger patty (no bun) 90/10, subway grilled chicken, rotisserie chicken, crackers, fruit snacks, fiber one cookies, baked potato, sometimes mashed, turkey pepperoni
  • Lizzypb88
    Options
    Also brown rice and a plain waffle
  • tekayla40
    tekayla40 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    You did not list a single vegetable in that list. You need to find a way to eat vegetables. With the list above you will not be able to reach your low carb goals without starving. Try pinterest, there are soooo many ways to prepare different vegetables you are bound to find some you like. You have to retrain your taste buds. If you are trying to get healthy I don't think you can do it eating no fruits or veggies ever. Our bodies weren't made for only meat, grains and starch.