For Robin...and anyone else who wants to read!

Options
I just thougt I would jot down some of the wisdom I have learned on my journey (160 days tomorrow). I know that this is just the tip of the iceberg, but thought you might like to know.

Some of my favorite "high fiber" foods (each of these have AT LEAST 5 grams/serving)

1. Ole' Mexican Foods Xtreme Wellness High Fiber Tortillas (71 calories per tortilla) - 12g
2. High Fiber Instant Oatmeal (Walmart has their brand, also Quaker) - 10g
3. Healthy Life 35 Calorie Wheat Bread (also comes in white) - 5g in 2 slices
4. Beans (black beans, navy beans, pinto beans, etc) - 5+ grams
5. Healthy Choice Frozen Complete Dinners (Salisbury Steak is my fave w/ 2 slices of 35 cal bread) - usually 8+ grams
6. Kashi Go Lean or Good Friends (not real sweet but tasty) - 10+ grams
7. Cheerios Cinnamon Burst (other Cheerios flavors don't have much fiber only 2g) - 5g
8. Active Lifestyle Fiber Water packets (Kroger/Fry's brand) - 5g

Best advice I can give is...READ YOUR LABELS and look at nutrition guides at fast food restaurants (many restaurants have their nutrition guides available online)! Jack in the Box, Wendy's, Taco Bell all have low-fat/low-cal food choices (you just have to watch out for sodium). Salads are an excellent choice but beware of dressing. They can turn your healthy salad into a high calorie, high fat, sodium pit. Try using flavored vinegar and spices instead.

Sodium is in everything! Many processed foods are packed with sodium. Sodium will make you retain water, which in turn will make you weigh more than you do. Besides, its not good for your heart.

Chocolate? Well, sugar free fudgesicles are an excellent choice for curbing that craving. Also, Weight Watcher's makes some nice sweet snacks that you'll find in the bread aisle. Most of them are low cal, high fiber choices.

A digital food scale is a MUST for anyone changing their eating habits. Get into the habit of weighing and measuring everything. I prefer weighing in grams as opposed to ounces, its more accurate that way. Before you know it, you'll know what 4 oz (112g) of chicken breast or 1 cup of cereal looks like .

They say (don't ask me who they are) that you should have no more than 3g fat per 100 calories.

My doctor said that it wasn't necessary for me to eat my exercise calories, unless I'm just burning like mad (even then, use common sense). But also, don't starve yourself. Eating less than 1100 calories isn't really good for you on a regular basis. It will slow down you metabolism to conserve your energy. I've heard some people do the zig-zag dieting method. Where you eat like 1400 calories one day then the next day only 1000 calories. I have not personally tried this method, but it could make sense (tricking your body).

I'm totally open to any addtions to this from other MFP members. I need to get my best friend of nearly 30 years healthy again. She had open heart surgery before she was even 25. I love her dearly and would like to keep her around to be friends for another 30 years.

*** I'm not a doctor, dietician or even a nurse. This is only what I have discovered on my journey. Check with your doctor to see what's right for you. ***

Replies

• sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    71 cal tortilla! :noway: OHHhh my. I love me some tortillas.
  • jame_104
    jame_104 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    And for those ice cream cravings skinny cow is the best!
  • fitniknik
    fitniknik Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    Water water water... and then when you dont feel thirsty anymore... drink 2 more glasses!
  • FinMcK
    FinMcK Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Some great advice, Lisa! Thanks for sharing!:flowerforyou:
  • dracobaby82
    dracobaby82 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Great advice! Thanks :)
  • MrsGriffin67
    MrsGriffin67 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    And for those ice cream cravings skinny cow is the best!

I like Skinny Cow, too. The only thing I don't like is that they contain high fructose corn syrup (HFCS). Your body doesn't process HFCS like it does regular sugar. But yeah, they are GOOD!
  • Countrymade
    Countrymade Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing. I agree. A scale is a must. I use my scale, measuring cups, and measuring spoons all the time. I need to.
    The weight watchers frozen ice cream desserts are excellent too. I feel like I am a high calorie dessert.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    I saw the title and thought
    "For ME? You shouldn't have! "

lol
  • IamRoJ
    IamRoJ Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I saw the title and thought
    "For ME? You shouldn't have! "

lol

Hahaha!!! Me too!
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    Robins rule :flowerforyou:
  • m1squ3zv
    m1squ3zv Posts: 2
    Options
    wow...alot i didnt kno..thanks for the adivice lisa:flowerforyou:
  • ChelDM
    ChelDM Posts: 145
    Options
    Thanks so much for sharing.
  • robingalatian
    Options
    Ahhhhh, so sweet...Thank you bunches......LOve your help....love ya
  • joannajohnsonrn
    joannajohnsonrn Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Great friend!
    I just would like to add, MOVE IT TO LOSE IT!
    DIet alone can only get you so far, you have to move more and eat less.

Start slow, and work your way into it.
    Make yourself do it on days you dont want to.
    Exercise releases endorphins, assists your immune system, builds muscle, builds strong bones and increase blood to your brain, not to mention burns fat!
    Studies have shown it helps with ADHD, anxiety, depression, chronic fatigue/pain, and people do better on tests after exercising, so maybe it can help make us smarter too!!

Good luck!
  • sugarbeans
    sugarbeans Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    Awesome post thanks for the advice!!
  • Gary1977
    Gary1977 Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    71 cal tortilla! :noway: OHHhh my. I love me some tortillas.

I eat these all the time and they are GREAT! I've tried the regular, spinach herb, & tomato basil. I always have them in the fridge now. Great for breakfast burritos, burritos, healthy wraps, fajitas, and so much more. My brother picked some up at the grocery store about 2 months ago and now we have them at least several times a week with different foods. I have also eaten the Cheerios mentioned and they are good as well.
  • MrsGriffin67
    MrsGriffin67 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    Great friend!
    I just would like to add, MOVE IT TO LOSE IT!
    DIet alone can only get you so far, you have to move more and eat less.

Start slow, and work your way into it.
    Make yourself do it on days you dont want to.
    Exercise releases endorphins, assists your immune system, builds muscle, builds strong bones and increase blood to your brain, not to mention burns fat!
    Studies have shown it helps with ADHD, anxiety, depression, chronic fatigue/pain, and people do better on tests after exercising, so maybe it can help make us smarter too!!

Good luck!

That's what I forgot to add. "Move it to lose it" You're so right about it helping with ADHD and depression. Tyler (my ADHD son) does so much better when he is involved in sports. Not to mention I don't feel the need to take anti-depressants anymore since I've gotten my once fat *kitten* off the couch. :wink: