C25k - Couch 2 5 k

Hi guys, is anyone doing couch 2 5k? And how are you all getting along?

I done day 1 yesterday and my legs were aching but glad I done it. Doing my day 2 shortly.

Replies

• scottish_laura_13
    scottish_laura_13 Posts: 69 Member
    I am, just finished week 1 and doing my week 2 run tonight! finger crossed its not too bad!
    do u use the app of the podcasts?
  • wandererlust
    wandererlust Posts: 64 Member
    I just finished week 1 this weekend! I'm glad to be doing it- I know I wouldn't run without the structure of it. I'll start week 2 tomorrow, you guys let me know how you're doing!
  • beckytaylor_
    beckytaylor_ Posts: 9 Member
    Yeah I use the apps! Finished day 2 of week 1! Quite excited for my Day 3. Let me know your week 2 starts!
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    I've done it, and it's a great program. If you're a total beginner, allow yourself to repeat a week or more if needed. Some of the mileage jumps are pretty big in the middle weeks.
    Also, make sure you're giving yourself rest days so you don't get burned out or injured.
    Good luck!
  • angelamichelle_xo
    angelamichelle_xo Posts: 646 Member
    yay day 2! please stretch!!!
  • scottish_laura_13
    yeah stretching is v important! and not being too hard on yourself is also important! I managed to get to week 5 last year (before a really bad unrelated injury)
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    there is a group for it if you want to join others doing the same thing
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    just started week 8. SLOW, SLOW, SLOW is my advice. Go slower than you thought possible to actually be running. Speed can come later. I made the mistake of thinking I had to build up speed, and when the first real test came on (I think it's week 5 where there's a big jump) I faltered.

Went super slow, not a lot faster than walking, and here I am, adding a couple of minutes to my running time each week over and above the plan just because, well, I might as well.
  • beckytaylor_
    That's so good! I'm so excited for my workout tomorrow. Do you guys do it three straight days in a week? Or split them up
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    I did it years ago and now I'm up to half marathons. It works!
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    That's so good! I'm so excited for my workout tomorrow. Do you guys do it three straight days in a week? Or split them up

You should definitely split them up. Running stresses your legs a lot, especially your bones and connective tissue (tendons, ligaments, fascia). They need a rest day to recover. Those people you see running every day have spent many months getting to the point where there bodies can handle it.

It's better to take an extra rest day than to skip a rest day. I recommend that beginning runners wait at least 4 months before running two days in a row. This article explains why.

It's perfectly fine to walk, swim, bike, etc. on non-running days. If you want to stay in the habit, do a 30-minute walk on days when you don't run. Good luck!
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member

DEFINITELY split them up.
    And good for you, it's great when you're excited about exercise!
  • scottish_laura_13
    split the runs up! my days in-between I do yoga or something - on another note did wk2 run1 last night - found it ok :) wasn't dying which is excellent news for me
    my run days are mon, wed, and fri,, ive tried to make it every second day in the past and ran on wknds but its never worked due to various things and trying to keep track is a pain that way so now its set days so I cant excuse myself when im not feeling up to it
  • beckytaylor_
    Ooo! Okay thank you so much I shall have a rest day! Thanks all for the information. :p
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member

Well the plan is run day, followed by recovery day. Follow the plan.

I swam or cycled on my off days.
  • VnSss1
    VnSss1 Posts: 3 Member
    I just did day one! Love all of the advice, I was going to do day 2 tomorrow but now I think I will walk and yoga instead and get on day 2 Friday.
  • Riskay123
    Riskay123 Posts: 159 Member
    It is an awesome program isn't it? I did W1R3 tonight. I am going to rest Friday and Saturday then start W2R1 on Sunday. Please feel free to friend me. I would love to chat with people that are at around the same stage as me. I have completed this program a few years back so I know I can do it.
  • samgamgee
    samgamgee Posts: 398 Member
    I've just finished Week 8, I look back at Week 1 when I could barely run for 60 seconds and I'm astounded that I'm running 28 minutes at a time now! Definitely take it slow and stick to the rest days. You'll love it.
  • beckytaylor_
    I just did day one! Love all of the advice, I was going to do day 2 tomorrow but now I think I will walk and yoga instead and get on day 2 Friday.

Well done, I'm gonna try yoga
  • beckytaylor_
    samgamgee wrote: »
    I've just finished Week 8, I look back at Week 1 when I could barely run for 60 seconds and I'm astounded that I'm running 28 minutes at a time now! Definitely take it slow and stick to the rest days. You'll love it.

I just love it, I feel like I'm so motivated, finishing of week 2, day 3 today then onto week 3.