cleaning as a cardio?

Options
13»

Replies

• kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    If it motivates you to move more, go for it. Just don't eat back all the calories.
  • joolywooly33
    joolywooly33 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    NO! Didn't stop us all getting fat in the first place lol
  • bluestarlight19
    bluestarlight19 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I used to log it if it was something out of the ordinary like I was doing "spring cleaning" ie moving/flipping furniture, hands n knees scrubbing for hours, etc. Then I would only log like 1/3 of the time since MFP counts were high. Now I have a fitbit, I would probably just rely on that unless it gave me extra steps for scrubbing or something. But just everyday picking up, sweeping, laundry, dishwashing? nope.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    No.
    It sort of bugs me when I see 'friends' log cleaning as exercise ..or ironing! hmm
    Its already figured into the number MFP gives you....
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    Jonna13 wrote: »
    I log cleaning as exercise if I'm breaking a sweat. Scrubbing floors, washing windows, folding laundry and putting it away (going up 2 flights of stairs), burning calories really add up. If I'm just doing daily tasks such as making dinner, dishes etc. I don't add it, I count it as my daily burn.

Ya, in the summer I would definitely have broken on sweat on the frig, but keep it cold in here in the winter so yesterday I achieved the equivalent when I took off a turtleneck and a sweatshirt, and put my hair up.
  • vczK2t
    vczK2t Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Since I am bad with regular housekeeping, if it is a VERY intense and deep cleaning session, i will count it. if I am not dripping sweat from doing it, then i don't count it.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options

Haha exactly.

Yesterday I washed two vehicles inside and out, and cleaned my entire 2400sf home. This took hours. No, I did not log it. Yes, I logged the 40 minute walk I did later that was deliberate exercise.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options

Haha exactly.

Yesterday I washed two vehicles inside and out, and cleaned my entire 2400sf home. This took hours. No, I did not log it. Yes, I logged the 40 minute walk I did later that was deliberate exercise.

Is your activity level listed as Sedentary? Your Sunday doesn't sound very sedentary to me...
  • MondayJune22nd2015
    MondayJune22nd2015 Posts: 876 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I counted my snow shoveling as exercise because 1 I live in an apartment & therefore it isn't my responsibility, to do it; so basically I did it for exercise & 2 because even if it was a tenant's responsibility, this is the 1st & most likely the final time that it'll snow this season. So this wouldn't become apart of my daily and/or weekly lifestyle. I'd only count something that is intense, several hours (than usual) and/or if it's done, once every 2 weeks or longer.

However I do agree that depending upon the severity of a disability, that even regular chores can be considered as exercise because of the difficulty involved, due to the disability. Obviously it's going to take longer & be harder, than for someone; whom isn't.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I would not log regular cleaning because that should be part of my activity level already.
    I might log some cleaning if it was very heavy like when my basement got flooded and I was cleaning and hauling out that mess.
  • murp4069
    murp4069 Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    I see a lot of people on my feed count cleaning, but I do not. To me, cleaning is just an everyday, regular activity. I probably wouldn't even count it if it were particularly labor intensive. I'm also skeptical of the calorie burns in the database - one person on my feed logged 1.5 hours of cleaning and it came up with some insane calorie burn that I wouldn't even get if I ran for a 1.5 hours.